Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

We lost to Abbey, So what.....

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
Supporters are very fickle

You hit the nail on the head there!! This forum is major proof of that. I understand people being down hearted after a defeat, and discussing where there is room for improvement etc, but the negativity on here is rather annoying.

Last week we put in a very good display and everyone was full of praise all round, now we are back at the other end of the spectrum once again. You have said that are performance in the 1st half on Saturday was ok, and I thought so too. Please do not ignore the fact that the dismissal pretty much killed any chances of us claiming the 3 points, so please stop going on like it is the end of the world. We are still level on points with the team in second (yeah I know, someone is bound to mention games in hand), and in the mix for the playoff places - a win on Saturday and I can guarantee a continuation of the yo-yoing opinions.

This is not the Premiership, where the top 4 or 5 teams beat all the rest consistently - that is why the Premiership is getting duller and duller. Take the Championship for example, even at only one division below, any team in that division can beat anyone else on any given day. I for one find following ETFC and Non-League football far more enjoyable than going down the Lane for every home game, as I have done for the past 2 seasons (hence why I packed it in), even if it can be frustrating at times. Get used to it - this season is going to be a rollercoaster, and I personally think that we have a squad good enough to get enough points to edge out Maldon, Edgware, Canvey and Brentwood to get ourselves a playoff place - like I have said, 5th place is what we would want.

All I'm saying is after 24 to 48 hours after a loss you need to move on and look to the next game - hopefully without a certain petulent character in the squad!!

Originally Posted By: Mini-Smith Towner
Originally Posted By: OldTowner
Supporters are very fickle

You hit the nail on the head there!! This forum is major proof of that. I understand people being down hearted after a defeat, and discussing where there is room for improvement etc, but the negativity on here is rather annoying.

Last week we put in a very good display and everyone was full of praise all round, now we are back at the other end of the spectrum once again. You have said that are performance in the 1st half on Saturday was ok, and I thought so too. Please do not ignore the fact that the dismissal pretty much killed any chances of us claiming the 3 points, so please stop going on like it is the end of the world. We are still level on points with the team in second (yeah I know, someone is bound to mention games in hand), and in the mix for the playoff places - a win on Saturday and I can guarantee a continuation of the yo-yoing opinions.

Praising a good performance one week,whilst criticising a poor display the week after is NOT being Fickle.It is being honest and telling-it-like-it-is.The team is currently very inconsistant ,and that is directly related to the level of contentment or unhappiness amonst the fans from week to week.

Just as when fans change their mind as to who should be in the starting 11.That is not fickle either,they are making a judgment based purely on performances and constistancy of individual players,at any given moment in time.Just as any manager would.

Even before Rudi came on and was sent off, we were putting in our usual lacklustre home display.I mentioned that this game had bore-draw written all over it before Rudi was dismissed.

Originally Posted By: Southport - TOWNER
..... can we blame

towners had too many green and white umbrellas (what is that about Arky?)

A poor show from them I thought, especially as they all claim to have forgotton what colours The Abbey normally play in, small Town Umbrella's were available to them as well.

spot on ls applause

heard it over afchx

not paying 2 watch this s hit, well y come if u can't hack it?

no team is consistant week in week out

but the true fan will take it each week s hit or not

Fickle is a tendency to change, and from my point of view a lot of people change their opinions on how the season will pan out, who should be starting, and how much they rate certain players from one week to the next based upon one given performance.

I believe I said that post-match there is a time to discuss our opinions on the game, and where we believe there is room for improvement (this often means highlighting the negatives I agree), but losing is part of football, and to be well in the race for a playoff place at this stage of the season is a positive in my book - stop dwelling on a match played in appalling conditions, with 10 men for half of it, where there is only 1 man to blame - who knows what might have happened had we kept 11 on the pitch, the boys may have upped their game and got a win, it is a game of 2 halves after all - Jamie Nay could have put a good ball into the box from Rudi's pass and we may have scored - instead he elbowed the fella. Hey, at least everyone gets to have a good moan at JC and the boys for a lack of passion and will to win again (I hear that everytime we lose, and in Saturday's case it simply wasn't true!!), and highlight where exactly the club is going wrong.

I do not believe our 1st half performance was lacklustre anyhow - we created quite a few chances and could easily have gone in at the break leading, even though we defensively looked quite shaky in the first 15 minutes.

Interested Observer was highlighting certain things that I too see at matches, especially our home games. Although you dismissed it as the worst post ever, he said some things that are very apparent, particular when it comes to the amount of unnecessary moaning that goes on at home games, mainly by a few individuals.

Plenty of people who support Town read this forum and do not post, and nearly all of them mention how much nonsense is spoken - this isn't directed at you LS, it is a general thing.