Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hampton & R - Latest Score

lovely stuff

Hasler, Nay, Bastian, Heald (Capt), Tickner, Simpson, Campbell, Hall, Crace, Grieves, Deane, Harvey, Hodge, Jones, Mitchell.

Gate 90

Early on Ricci Crace had a header going for the top right corner which Lovett saved. Ricci had a second header saved. Hampton & Richmond hit the post. Rudi Hall had a free kick saved around the post. Heald headed over bar. First half enjoyable, competitive and fairly even.

Second half starts well Lovett punches the ball off Simpson’s head. At the other end town cleared off the line as Charlie is beaten. Michael Deane brought down in the box but nothing given. Ricci Crace misses over the bar. Michael Deane makes a sublime little run to cross for Darren Grieves saved. Ricci Crace beat the defence to land the ball on the roof of the net. Lovely run down the wing by David Bastian. Finally Hampton & Richmond lobbed Charlie 0 – 1. Town start to flag a bit as Hampton’s superior fitness begins to tell. Rudi Hall makes a solo effort. Finally a goal mouth mêlée and Darren Grieves spins and plants it past Lovett 1 – 1. Rudi Hall subbed by Andy Jones and off home.

Extra Time and Charlie Hasler saved after striker looked certain to score. How did he miss that? Andy Jones shot wide. Michael Deane had a solo effort. Finally a handball by the number 3 (great save) prevented town scoring. Straight Red for H&R. Michael Deane from the spot 2 – 1.

Paul Campbell off and Glenn Harvey on. Ozie Foster on and Darren Grieves off. Ozie Foster booked. Hampton & Richmond scored a sublime goal. 2 – 2. Michael Deane booked for dissent.

Penalty shoot out lost 4 – 1

H&R scored all 4 goals, for Town Jamie Nay was saved, Andy Jones buried it and Greg Heald got 3 points for a conversion. Why did none of the strikers take penalties?

A good performance by town against a team that could and wanted to play football.

Originally Posted By: Rog
Why "comical"? Didn't seem to be any jokes in it and it didn't seem to differ much from the report above on this thread.

Sorry, let me clarify. I don't mean the main report, that's ok, but the one-eyed rant by a supporter on the next thread. The guy must have been on a skateboard, because there was no other way he could have had such a perfect view of so many incidents in different parts of the field! His description of the Enfield players and fans as 'a bunch of thugs' was a touch, erm, over the top as well.

In the interests of fairness, I should add that I could name several Town fans who are capable of penning something equally as one-eyed.

Originally Posted By: DonkeyHotTea
A good performance by town against a team that could and wanted to play football.

Yep I totally agree, they were a good outfit and looked to play their football. We performed admirably against a team two divisions above who are challenging for promotion to the conference, and from what I can work out looking at their website, they fielded a very strong team, with the exception of their top scorer who came on as sub and got their goals. They always looked dangerous going forward, but I thought that we defended very well, and the line-up, and formation in particular, was food for thought in my opinion.

I have defended/supported the 3-5-2 we play in, but maybe 4-4-2 is the way forward for the time being - we looked more solid. Nay-Heald-Tickner-Bastian worked very well, and Harvey is a good utility player to have to replace any one of them, or come off the bench. Deane and Campbell are good attacking wide players, which is what we would need in this formation. Can Hammatt play up front with Crace (let's face it, in a 4-4-2 he will be anyway)? Could he play alongside a more defensively minded centre-mid? I happen to like Foster or Grieves up front with Crace, someone who can hold up the ball and win battles in the air.

Kofi and Jonah would more than likely be the ideal centre-mid pairing if everyone was available at present in my opinion. Stevie.V could also play a part. Who knows?

What I do know is that we need to pick up near enough maximum points against Bury, Maldon, Tilbury and Wivenhoe before a very difficult March calendar begins - Sudbury, Ware, Dartford and Redbridge, eek - if we are to stand any chance of claiming a playoff place.

Maldon beating Brentwood was a good result for us - rather that than the other way round. Unfortunately Canvey are pulling themselves back into the hunt.

Originally Posted By: Father Jack
Originally Posted By: Rog
Why "comical"? Didn't seem to be any jokes in it and it didn't seem to differ much from the report above on this thread.

Sorry, let me clarify. I don't mean the main report, that's ok, but the one-eyed rant by a supporter on the next thread. The guy must have been on a skateboard, because there was no other way he could have had such a perfect view of so many incidents in different parts of the field! His description of the Enfield players and fans as 'a bunch of thugs' was a touch, erm, over the top as well.

It would appear from another post that he's a steward. That would explain a lot!

I'm not convinced that we have the players for 4-4-2. I would prefer Heald, Tickner and Harvey in a back 3, with Harvey in his sweeper role as insurance against the other two's relative lack of pace. I also feel that Deane is wasted as a wide man; he looks far more dangerous up front with Ricci, and Bryan playing behind them. in the absence of Kofi and Rudi, I would go with Velandia and Jones in central midfield, although Richard Simpson might come into the equation after his perfomace last night.

http://hrbfc.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=79

This is the thread you speak of Father Jack - I read it last night when I got in from the game and it baffled me too. It doesn't mention the amount of vile language being banded about by a few of the H&R players during the game, mainly by their pie-eating keeper.

As for the melee, they were as much to blame, if not more, for how it escalated. If their player spat in Tickners face then who are the thugs??

As for calling our fans thugs? What is that based on? Nothing wrong with a bit of banter from the sidelines with the tubby keeper or so forth, was there anything worse than that? - I recall him showing me his middle finger at one point, nice chap - is he not used to playing in front of opposition fans?

It appeared to me that they anticipated an easy game, and once they realised that that was not what they were getting, all the toys came out of the pram and their frustration was most apparent. I have never seen a more moany team/bench than H&R's, and so much in-fighting on the pitch.

I'm not convinced that we have the players for 4-4-2. I would prefer Heald, Tickner and Harvey in a back 3, with Harvey in his sweeper role as insurance against the other two's relative lack of pace. I also feel that Deane is wasted as a wide man; he looks far more dangerous up front with Ricci, and Bryan playing behind them. in the absence of Kofi and Rudi, I would go with Velandia and Jones in central midfield, although Richard Simpson might come into the equation after his perfomace last night.

I totally agree with what you have said. This is the thing, I am in two minds now, and 3-5-2 does accomodate our squad more than 4-4-2. I like Harvey in that back 3, and think he very much deserves his place at the moment. Yep totally right about Deane looking more dangerous up front - he has scored most of our goals of late after all!! I like Hammatt on the pitch, but he is no longer a real goal threat in my eyes, whilst Rudi just doesn't seem the same player anymore (great free-kicks though).

I didn't rate Simpson from his brief appearance against Abbey that I saw, and he started somewhat slowly last night for the first 30 minutes, but yes my opinion has changed on him given his performace once he got going and got a foothold in the game. A good holding midfielder who has good disclipline in tracking back, picking up runners etc, and showed he can do some good on the ball also last night.

Originally Posted By: Mini-Smith Towner

I totally agree with what you have said. This is the thing, I am in two minds now, and 3-5-2 does accomodate our squad more than 4-4-2. I like Harvey in that back 3, and think he very much deserves his place at the moment. Yep totally right about Deane looking more dangerous up front - he has scored most of our goals of late after all!! I like Hammatt on the pitch, but he is no longer a real goal threat in my eyes, whilst Rudi just doesn't seem the same player anymore (great free-kicks though).

I didn't rate Simpson from his brief appearance against Abbey that I saw, and he started somewhat slowly last night for the first 30 minutes, but yes my opinion has changed on him given his performace once he got going and got a foothold in the game. A good holding midfielder who has good disclipline in tracking back, picking up runners etc, and showed he can do some good on the ball also last night.

For me, Harvey offers not much more pace than Heald/Tickner.We were ripped open at Dartford with Glen as sweeper and again in the first 20 minutes against Aveley.This is not to have a go at Glen who is a solid utility player,BUT if we were going to employ a sweeper then Dave Allen was the only real viable player to fill that role (but he was hardly picked and as a result felt it wasn't worth committing to the game any longer).I agree that Heald and Tickner can be exposed a bit for pace.This would not be a big problem if we had a keeper who could sweep up long balls over the top-like Chopper and JJ did in the past.

Whilst i agree that Deane is more potent up front.Who would we play wide on the Left if he wasn't on the wing.I think that balance in a team is vital.I personally don't think we can accomadate a 4-4-2 without Deane on the Left-Wing.With a 3-5-2 then yes he should be up top with Crace.So my sollution would be to get Dave Allen back as permanent sweeper if we are to play a regular 3-5-2.Or sign a quality strker to partner Crace and put Daene on the Left Wing if we are to play a 4-4-2.At present i think we don't quite have the ideal squad to play either system at the moment.

Linesman always position themsleves level with the goal for penalties in order to witness this infingment,and then continually do nothing when a keeper saves the penalty five or six yards away from goal.It happens at all levels.I remember last season in a Champions league shoot-out,the keeper for one of the teams ran full pelt at the ball just before the taker struck the ball,and saved most of the penalties about halfway between the goal and the penalty spot.The lino was standing parallel to the goal ten yards away but did nothing.

Originally Posted By: Out_Of_Towner
Re the penalty shootout wasn't their keeper off his line for at least two of them ? It appears ref's continue to let keepers get away with murder on this issue .

Charlie was the same but I dont think it made much difference to a least one if not both of ours that failed to score.

Originally Posted By: Gazza
......In the interests of fairness, I should add that I could name several Town fans who are capable of penning something equally as one-eyed.

Usually found on the website as well!!

...and there's even more who stand on the side lines at games who are continually abusive yet it's the small minority who voice their controlled opinions on here who are seen as the trouble makers.