Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

So! Where do we go from here?

Steph

I stated before the Tilbury game that if we did not get 4 points from the next three games then Mr Margolis should resign. It was not a difficult challenge - Tilbury, Cheshunt and Chatham. We did not get 4 points and it is my view that he should now walk away. In the last few months he has demonstrated to me that he has not got the capability to be a manager. Andy has talked about 33 players on the books and this does not include players such as Lee Smith, who was never given a chance by Stewart, Ossie Foster and Steve Valendia.

Those three players with Rudi, Tickner, Gant, Crace, Bastian and Dave Allen would have been the nucleus of a very good side who would have given blood for the club. They have not been replaced by better players.

There did not need to be a wholesale rout of the previous side just a few adjustments. What I saw on Saturday was two teams who will both struggle this year. Luke is not getting the guidance he needs if he is to develop. For too often in the first half he was the player available when attacks were on the other wing but either did not have the confidence to call for the ball or he was playing to instructions. He certainly did not go looking for the ball nor did he build a relationship with Dave Bastian. That must be a failure of the leadership of the club.

We have let Max Mitchell go - he is lightweight but can develop. I remember Paul Furlong being a beanpole before he developed some strength and muscle. Max can do the same if given the chance.

It is my view that we desperately need a new manager. A manager who understands that this season is a time to build on established players in the side. To cease tinkering and let the team develop as a settled side. The dross and deadwood should be told to leave and, if the rumours are true and they are under contract, then that contract has to be bought out. This means blooding in players from the youth side who enjoy and want to play football. Who are not interested in the pay packet but want to play for the club.

Of the sides we have played this season Northwood have shown the way to go. They were a reasonable side last season but are a good side this. Look at their programme and you will see that they have had a settled side for a long time. They have built a team and that is what we need to do. We cannot do it if we are involved in a relegation dog fight after christmas and under the present management I think that is what we will be involved in.

Steph, I sympothise with your views, however, two things will happen, one, is that their will be a recovery in some kind of form or results, which does not look too promising at the moment, however, we do have some very good individuels who are not gelling and a team unit that is not defending well.

Secondly, we'll continue shipping in 3 goals a game and lose and lets face it even SM will see that he'd better leave before he adds ETFC to his CV as an unsuccessful adventure.

A little thought though, we got to get it out of our heads that we can get promoted this season, despite the huge pre season expectation. Also we are not gonna get relegated, their are other teams (believe it or not) who are worse than us. But we need to be careful and as our board are also supporters, they are also thinking along our lines of thought, that includes yours and mine, however some dignity in our business goes a long way to building up a good place of work and a good reputation.

I disagree with you EU. 1 win and 1 draw from 7 games is relegation form. I thought that Chatham would be worse than us but on Saturday they were not.

The team will never gell if they dont know who they will be playing with from one game to the next. I have given up on promotion already and certainly the play-offs are remote. I will be happy at this time with a mid table position with the players playing as though they enjoy the game and each other's company. The fact that the players do not enjoy playing nor each other's company seems to be the fault of the management.

I think it was you who suggested that we could wait until September 30th and I said that was too late. We have one game left in September and, as people have said, we have to win that. If we dont then we will fall below Hillingdon in the table and 3 points below "safety". That is a hell of a lot to make up in a relegation fight. If we dont beat Hillingdon and lost to Chatham (and Concorde Rangers who I think were the worst team we have played so far this season) just who are these sides that are "worse than us".

It will not be an easy game on Tuesday. See what the Brentwood manager said who are currently top of the table.

"Carl Griffiths admitted his Brentwood side were fortunate to overcome a dogged Hillingdon Borough.

The new league leaders had to wait until the 96th minute of the match to claim the priceless win courtesy of Billy Crowther's second goal of the season.

The visitors will be distaught with the outcome but can be satisfied that they pushed Griffith's men so close.

A satisfied Griffiths said, "It wasn't a special performance and they will be as gutted as we are relieved."

(Non-league today)

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
Steph, I sympothise with your views, however, two things will happen, one, is that their will be a recovery in some kind of form or results, which does not look too promising at the moment, however, we do have some very good individuels who are not gelling and a team unit that is not defending well.

Secondly, we'll continue shipping in 3 goals a game and lose and lets face it even SM will see that he'd better leave before he adds ETFC to his CV as an unsuccessful adventure.

A little thought though, we got to get it out of our heads that we can get promoted this season, despite the huge pre season expectation. Also we are not gonna get relegated, their are other teams (believe it or not) who are worse than us. But we need to be careful and as our board are also supporters, they are also thinking along our lines of thought, that includes yours and mine, however some dignity in our business goes a long way to building up a good place of work and a good reputation.

For what it's worth. It was put to us that a play off position was the objective for this season. Some supporters originally felt that this objective was short sighted and that we should be aiming for promotion at the first attempt. Looking at the make up of the league, I thought we should do well given the information from the management team in the local press and at the members' meeting.

However, some haven't lived up to expectations and we are struggling. I think we all have to admit that a top 5 position looks to be out of our reach given the current set up and as I have said before, something needs to change.

Had you been at the game on Saturday I think you would have become very aware that we are simply not good enough. People have to realise that changes have to be made for the benefit of 'our' club by those in key positions who can make that change.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and no doubt some people will say, 'well what would you do?' Well first of all I would want to sort out the very pressing problem of why 'our' club has been allowed to get into a position of only having one keeper on a Saturday afternoon? Something's wrong somewhere!

I dont disagree with any of Stephs or andy's comments, the only thing i'd say is that you can't just wake up on a Monday morning and say 'right your sacked'. I would'nt be surprised if the managers position has not yet been discussed recently and i'm sure SM would not be surprised either.

But the board need to have a replacement that can achieve the success and expectations we are all craving for.

And yes I said an improvement is a must by the end of September, however, looking at the website we have made a few more signings, as much as I am also unhappy with current performances and results, I can also have the mind above heart view that SM is attempting to rectify the mess that exists, let him try, but admittedly lives are running out.

AD

I agree

It is not new players we want. At the level we are at one player is as good as any other. (similar to any workforce really - management always blame their staff when things are not going well and tend to look for scapegoats).

What we require is for the players we have to play as a unit. That can only be achieved by a settled side.