Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jimmy Sirrel - RIP

Andyetfc - It's a shame Notts County always appeared to be the 'second Club' in Nottingham and live in Forest's shadow however the Hateley and Bradd years gave County the recognition they deserved thanks to Jimmy Sirrel, they were great times at Meadow Lane.

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
I remember watching County beat Forest at the City ground but that was before the Forest glory days.

I was there!

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
What season was that, was it a League game.

4 Dec 1982 Notts County 3 Forest 2 (1st Division)
also previous season Forest 0 Notts County 2 (also 1st Division - was there too!

I had a box at forest for a few years when we lived up there but never really used it that much...youngest daughter held court there mostly as she was going out with a plumber from beeston at the time and he was fanatical.......me and jen often slopped across to mansfield or county or chesterfield for our footie fix...much more enjoyable from the terraces of those stadia...

Unc - Yes Field Mill and Saltergate, great places! Were you already into non league in those days as you must have ventured to the delights of Matlock.

Originally Posted By: Horace
Originally Posted By: andyetfc
I remember watching County beat Forest at the City ground but that was before the Forest glory days.

I was there!

I told you I knew you!!! I think I was talking about the Nottinghamshire County Cup - many years ago!

I have just been to Nottingham for the day and the people I spoke to were not very complimentary about NF. I wonder why? Anyway, good news that Notts County had their best crowd of the season yesterday and had a minute's applause for the late Jimmy Sirrel.

Unc - You must have crossed paths with Horace at some point then, I take it you frequented the old Baseball Ground.

Remember seeing the promotion winning side of 81 at West Ham as a boy. They had a Yugoslav keeper called Raddy Avramovic, Big Brian Kilcline & Pedro Richards at the back, John Chiedozie on the wing & Rachid Harkouk upfront.

Can't remember anyone else, I'm gonna have to go out to the shed now & dig out my programs !

Originally Posted By: syd_lexic
John Chiedozie on the wing

John Chiedozie is a very good friend of Clement Temile, I believe they're in regular contact

There's a really good article on Jimmy Sirrel in the latest When Saturday Comes (WSC) magazine, I know Lato gets it on subscription and would be interested to get his view.