Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jimmy Sirrel - RIP

News has just filtered through of Jimmy Sirrel's death, it's a very sad day:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/news/index.shtml

Hollie - Jimmy Sirrel was a true football legend right up there with your Shankly's, Revie's, Busby's, Stein's, Clough's and Nicholson's, albeit not in terms of trophies won,

Edit

I come from Nottingham and supported Notts County as a boy! I remember Jimmy Sirrel bringing life to County and taking them on a journey up the league. When he arrived, crowds were low and Meadow Lane looked a mess. He started the change.

He brought in Tony Hately who partnered Les Bradd up front, and County walked Division 4. Don Masson achieved great things and the keeper of the time saved something in the region of 12 penalties during the seaon they won the 4th Division. Charlie something, I believe.

Hately's first game was against Northampton Town and there were thousands at the game.

Something I always remember was hearing Sirrel on the radio saying that if he had his own way, then there would be 4 up and 4 down in every division. What a visionary!

Condolences to his family

Originally Posted By: andyetfc

He brought in Tony Hately who partnered Les Bradd up front, and County walked Division 4

I remember that partnership like it was yesterday, it was lethal wasn't it.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes

He brought in Tony Hately who partnered Les Bradd up front, and County walked Division 4

I was living and working in Nottingham at that time. The home game before Hateley signed the gate was c. 5,000. On Hateley's signing, the gate against Northampton Town rocketed to over 20,000 . While standing in a queue to get in, I heard a conversation between a gateman and a customer. "Correct money only please" "Last week you would have taken the money in pennies!). Jimmy was an astute man, but considered

Originally Posted By: Horace
Jimmy was an astute man, but considered

Lol, handle bar moustaches seemed to be the in thing in 1969. I don't think Peter Rodrigues ever played for Scunthorpe, I thought he played in the 1969 FA Cup Final for Leicester.

Originally Posted By: Horace
Originally Posted By: Rhodes

I was living and working in Nottingham at that time. The home game before Hateley signed the gate was c. 5,000. On Hateley's signing, the gate against Northampton Town rocketed to over 20,000 . While standing in a queue to get in, I heard a conversation between a gateman and a customer. "Correct money only please" "Last week you would have taken the money in pennies!). Jimmy was an astute man, but considered

We used to change ends at half time by walking along the Iremonger Road wooden terraced stand! "Nice one Sirrel, Nice one son!"

Horace - You got home from Haringey quick, what was the score.