Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Harefield United....

Buck

Where you @ the Colney Heath game last Saturday? Harefield were very lucky not to drop points , they looked a little nervy and Colney Heath played well enough and created enough chances to win the game twice over.

For that reason i think the winners will come from Big Town or Chalfont depending on if there is a winner in that game.

Broxbourne could be 1 game too much judging by last Saturdays performance.

YES i was there and yes we didnt look to good that day,missing the penalty didnt help and when colney hit the post right at the end a big sigh of relief could have been heard from us all.

that said i still think biggleswade and chalfont will be just as nervious and a draw wouldnt surprise me.

Harefieldwhite - I don't disagree with you there but now the dust has settled on the nail biting 2008/2009 season what result do you look back on and say that's where we lost out on the Championship and promotion to the promised land. Surely it has to be the 8-2 victory over Kentish Town on 11 April when failing miserably to push on for more goals and allowing Kentish Town to score twice.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Harefieldwhite - I don't disagree with you there but now the dust has settled on the nail biting 2008/2009 season what result do you look back on and say that's where we lost out on the Championship and promotion to the promised land. Surely it has to be the 8-2 victory over Kentish Town on 11 April when failing miserably to push on for more goals and allowing Kentish Town to score twice.

I'm assuming your tongue is very, very firmly in your cheek when you make this statement. If not then you really have shown that you know nothing about football.

Nobody, but nobody, with any sense would suggest that a side's second best victory of the season was the game where they lost the league. I suspect that the only reason you suggested it was in order to bring your one man campaign against Kentish Town onto yet another thread.

As to where they lost it, I'm sure most people would look to any one of the games where they drew, or any of the games they lost by a single goal.

Originally Posted By: samuelsmiles

Harefield 8 (Eight Rhodes grin) Kentish Town 2 bounce

Sjj2112 - This was a post that Samuelsmiles made just after the game on 11 April but how he must be regretting that Harefield didn't score another two or three goals from their numerous chances or prevent Kentish Town from scoring, it should have been Arbroath v Bon Accord all over again.

I see that non-league hero another, although now living in York, is Harefield born and was a bit upset that they lost the championship on goal difference on the last day.

The Tony situation is a terrible tragedy for his family and the non-league football world. He has indicated that he is going to The FA Vase Final. I sincerely hope that The FA offer him their very best welcome at no charge. There are enough freebie hangers on at these events but this man deserves a huge thank you for what he has done for non-league football.

Perhaps Harefield lost the title at Herns Lane, where they were outplayed and outfought, being lucky to come away with a point?

Wendoverwatcher - You could also say that Harefield United lost the title against Welwyn Garden City at Preston Park in March when they lost 1-0 in one of the shock results of the season although, as you say, the game at Herns Lane when I believe Paul Tompkins was still in control was equally critical.

Harefield didn't lose the Title - it was never theirs to lose. They were one of the best three teams in the league this season, no doubts - their results against the other top three clubs show that, honours even. They just came up short, Biggleswade Town won it because they were the best team this season. No disgrace, a brilliant season and everyone at the club and connected with the club should be proud of themselves.

Conrad - You make a good point and I agree so why are your shins black and blue from you kicking them over the last week. Just one more goal scored or one more point gained over the course of a nine month season would have given Harefield the championship irrespective of what Biggleswade Town did.

Well, I have to agree with you Rhodesy. Now the dust has settled I'll say it as I saw it.

I'm sorry Conrad, but the championship was certainly Harefields to lose at a crucial point of the season and up to the very last day and that match in my opinion was poorly managed by The Hares.

I would have gone all out from the first whistle for the goals and I expected them to do just that, but frankly they looked disappointing and definitely not the champions in waiting. Confidence appeared to be amazingly lacking and up against a BBV&E sluggish back line and a number 5 who was tall (but even early on it was clear) couldn't head the ball or play it on the floor either, it was a poor shout from Harefield not to adjust accordingly.

I suspect they were told to keep a clean sheet first and foremost only because that's how they seemed to play. Sorry, but that's how I saw it apart from an 7 minute spell at the end of the first half and any time they had a corner (all too few). To a group of us 'neutrals' at the match, large spells of it looked like a mid table didn't matter type of affair, rather than 2nd playing 4th and a champiionship at stake.

And Broxbourne had players missing - best player on the field was their young winger, but I suspect is the type that doesn't fully knuckle down to training or discipline (I could be wrong, just an instinct and I apologise to him if I am wrong), he has great talent though and shouldn't chuck it away, he could certainly play at a higher level as I suspect a couple of others could as well, but do they really want it? Again, sorry to be blunt and I'm sure neither manager wants to read that kind of stuff, but that's how I saw it.

None of that though takes away from the fact that it was a great last day of league action to decide the eventual winner.

Next season the SSML Prem will be a bloomin' hard one, especially if joined by Stotfold. Them, The Hares, Chalfont, Royston, Welwyn, Tring, Langford, Broxbourne - if OneKeown can find players that are not just good but fully committed as well - could all be there or thereabouts.

Good luck to all.

wader i think the young winger u are on about is Tony Burke, in mine and a lot of peoples opinion the best player in the league!! A player that after tearing biggs town apart at ur place, i had kev cooper on the phone saying that ur manager would break the bank for him!! absolute class act!!

.......and if Holmer Green had beaten Biggs Town 3-0 instead of 2-0, Harefield would have won the title. And if Chalfont had beaten Aylesbury Vale and St. Mags in the first two games of the season......

Football isn't logical or rational though, is it. Because of 'things' I would now like to see Biggleswade get gubbed 0-6 every game next season, Southill Alexander to get relegated from the Spartan League Division 2 into the South Midlands Girl Guides Sunday League, and the Hares to win 9-2 each game and be in the Conference South in three years time.

Now just all sod off and let me enjoy the Ashes this summer. smile

Originally Posted By: Wader

Next season the SSML Prem will be a bloomin' hard one, especially if joined by Stotfold. Them, The Hares, Chalfont, Royston, Welwyn, Tring, Langford, Broxbourne - if OneKeown can find players that are not just good but fully committed as well - could all be there or thereabouts.

Wader - That was a good summary and a pretty accurate one apart from the above, the Championsip will be all over bar the shouting by Easter next year if Craig Hammond stays at Garden Walk.

Don't bet your house on it !

There's a big big difference between SSML Div 1 and SSML Premier Division sides. I agree Royston will be a force next season but don't expect them to have things all their own way.

Rhodes thank you for agreeing with me "Conrad - You make a good point and I agree". Splendid ! But you lost me with this " so why are your shins black and blue from you kicking them over the last week." Explain please.