Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
mdetaylor

Worst Grounds?

For starters Staines was a dreadful place to watch football - one thin strip of concrete behind the goal which meant the end was full when about 20 were shoulder to shoulder.

Any suggestions?

FOREST GREEN!!!!!!! I can remember standing at the front and there was about a metre or less between the pitch and fenceing.

You may remember me cos i was on front of the observer. I had a wig and my face wa covered in face paints!

Harlow , Sittingbourne, walton & sham, leyton,

Romford

Champion Hill, Dulwich, just before they pulled it down.

Bromley, with its famous 'tombstone end'.

The old Barking ground, what a dump!

Never much liked Grays either.

Don't forget the electric atmosphere that is Croydon away on a rainy Tuesday night in February.

Goldsdown Ground - home of the famous Enfield Town Football Club of the Essex Senior League (actually, it's owned by Brimsdown, but shhhh).

No covers, an unused bus shelter which I think USED to be the main stand, a fence around the picth, and the actual stadium is in the middle of a park. You think I'm kidding?

But we still pull in crowds of 250+ - and the stadium is due to be expanded massively within the coming season. Plus, it's home sweet home.

Croydon away on a cold Tuesday is always made better with a 3ltr bottle of Strongbow, doing various atheletics by their pitch (last season it was my long jump, the season before it was a full lap by EFM), annoying all the mouthy Croydon kids and then hitting a London club. For maximum effect pre-game entrust your house keys with a Thameslink driver from east croydon to St.albans

This way you won't remember or care about any of the game, so much so it about a month before I realised it was Ryan Moran who scored.

I'm gonna miss that place, no tram ride this season!

In no particular order:

- Croydon (particularly on a sunny day)

- Bromley (dangerously neglected park bench seats behind one goal)

- Runcorn (splendid view of as many chemica plants as you could ever care to look at)

- Walthamstow Avenue (some of our younger readers may not remember that particular dump)

Ah yes, Walthamstow Avenue. Once giant of non-league football now sadly defunct. I think we played Redbridge Forest there and lost 2-0 if my memory serves. My abiding memory of the ground is being surrounded by seedy-looking flats all displaying the weeks' washing from their balconies and a pitch that would have graced a prison exercise yard.

For even older viewers, how about Corby Town (circa 1968?) for an unparalleled view and the heady aroma of the local steelworks?

St Albans City (when nobody can be bothered to open the tea bar and the bogs aren't clean)!

They tell me that Concord Rangers is special as the smell of the sewerage works next door wafts across the pitch! I'll find out this season.

Bicycle Clips would have been useful when the rats were running at Heybridge Swifts.

Hullbridge Sports is more like a lake at one end for much of the season. All it needed was some ducks and reeds. Sorry we brought our own reeds!

How about Clapton. That place is a total **** -hole. Hopefully, they've been dumped out of the league by now which means St Albans City are the second longest members behind Dulwich Hamlet. With an luck Hamlet will soon get the axe leaving City at the top.