Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

REFS.

Smudge

I know we cannot do without them,but if they were more consistent in applying the rules the game would be better for all.Example in our game against Knaphill last Saturday,one of our defenders was the last man ,and fouled their forward who had a great goalscoring chance,a definite red card,but no a yellow given,to howls of derision from the Knaphill faithful.A let off for us,but 5 minutes later a blatant penalty when their keeper cleaned out our forward,in the penalty area,resulted in a goal kick,no consultation with lino.This in my opinion ,evened up his earlier mistake.I think the only winners in this standard of football are the Surrey F.A. Because players get frustrated by poor officialdom,as in this game,6 bookings and never a bad tackle.

Thanks TC ;)

Smudge it is always difficult to comment on individual decisions without actually being there. Many factors come into play with decisions.

As to the consistent call. Show me a player at this level who is consistent througout a game let alone week to week. The officials you get a this level are what this level deserve. Prem Teams get the best, Championship the 2nd best, Div 1 the 3rd best etc. Same as the players.

For an example if I were any bloody good I wouldn't be doing the level I am at I would be higher :)

And whilst on the subject of referee's.....

What about Sir Aleandria Funguson's outrageous attack on Mr Alan Wiley's stature and fitness ?

God, that gum chewing, foul mouthed, kilt wearing, haggis eating Jock gets RIGHT up my nose !

:smashfreakb:

Thanks TC ;)

Smudge it is always difficult to comment on individual decisions without actually being there. Many factors come into play with decisions.

As to the consistent call. Show me a player at this level who is consistent througout a game let alone week to week. The officials you get a this level are what this level deserve. Prem Teams get the best, Championship the 2nd best, Div 1 the 3rd best etc. Same as the players.

For an example if I were any bloody good I wouldn't be doing the level I am at I would be higher :)

We maybe step 5 players cos we're not consistently great at footy but we sometimes pull off world class moments that would look at home in the English Premiership!

Just like my header against Sandhurst in the Southern Comb Cup semi last season.... Eh Kroony????

Kroons,accept your points but i have noticed a new trend this year.Referees no longer seek the assistance of the linesman in many decisions.I think that before the game they are told,leave the onfield decisions to me.But at the end of the day it is the clubs who have to pay these officials,Are we getting value for money,when 2 officials are limited in their decision making,therefore making it not a team effort.As an aside do you enjoy reffing Ladies games,B.J.R enjoys watching them,lol

Kroons,accept your points but i have noticed a new trend this year.Referees no longer seek the assistance of the linesman in many decisions.I think that before the game they are told,leave the onfield decisions to me.But at the end of the day it is the clubs who have to pay these officials,Are we getting value for money,when 2 officials are limited in their decision making,therefore making it not a team effort.As an aside do you enjoy reffing Ladies games,B.J.R enjoys watching them,lol

I've even referee'd at one this season, Smudgie boy !

Maybe the occasional mutterd 'F' word.

The 'C' word is NEVER heard from players.

Sometimes a saucy word to the referee as a player jogs back past you to get into position.

Sorry Kroon's, I knew exactly what your answer would be and should have done it for you.

I am not sure on the league/county fa instructions are, but there does appear to be a few officials who do not seek advice from their assistants and likewise, there are assistants who do want want to get involved. That makes it difficult from a consistancy point of view where one week you get an assistant who does not get involved to one who likes waving his flag.

I remember officiating on the line in the old Chiltonian league and there was an incident in the first half that we discussed at half time. The other assistant was flagging to raise attention of handbags and the referee thought the assitant was going to tell him he got the penalty decision wrong. The assistant said that he did that a week ago and got told off by the referee because it made him look silly.

I just goes to show that one referee wants one thing and another wants enough. I know that on the Coca Cola league, assistants are given their instructions at the beginning of the season and the referee cannot change them. I would be great to introduce that at this level but you cannot guarantee that every official will go the meeting and also new officials join once the season is underway.

Many things to say here.

1 - It was top notch JJ

2 - I do not like doing Female football as I find it does not have enough power and pace. Some of the women's football I have seen has been technically brilliant.

3 - Not using assitants. Many answers to this. IMHO it is about 3 qualified referees getting the decisions right. I will use my assistants to help me out. But there is a limit which is difficult to explain but I am sure TC understands and would happily talk to any player that wants to talk sensibly to me about it.

I will leave it for some replies with a situation I have had this season. 2 players challenged for the ball and one player wanted a free kick for pushing which I did not give. But I realised that actually that player was probably right. Anyway 5 minutes later the same player does exactly what he wanted a free kick for. I then gave a free kick against him. He had a right go at me about not giving it earlier to which I said "Yes but you were right and I was wrong on that so I am only giving a free kick for something you said was a free kick so you are right" I had a very bemused look back but to be fair he acknowledged it about 5 minutes later to me.

A very fair and balanced response, Krooner.

However, I'd rather not comment on your remark regarding power and pace. Being the 'fairer' sex will obviously limited them to some degree.

(awaits flying mallet from the womens lib. brigade !)

:smashfreakb:

Interesting answer Kroons,you were wrong but ur were right.The player was right but was wrong.The thing about football nowadays is there's not enough banter between Refs and players,like a word to player,sorry mate got that one wrong there,2 mins after incident,but as luck would have it he helped you out by doing same thing himself 5 minutes later.In the end it is only the ref who is right,and soon as our lads learn that the better.Because IMO A REF Is always right,whether he is wrong.Because without them we have got no game.

REFEREE'S RULES.

Rule 1. The Referee is always right.

Rule 2. If the Referee is wrong, refer to Rule 1.

Q.E.D.

Smudge and there lays the answer. A good bit of banter is useful. Knowing the ref and his ways is also useful as it is with players. There are some refs you cannot talk to but likewise with players. I always say if a player asks me a question then I will answer it but they have to actually let me answer it without interrupting. Invariably after that they still do not agree but at least we have both listened to the other. But if it is a ref you cannot talk too then don't.

And yes unfortunately the Ref is always right. Even when I am wrong and beleive me sumdgey boy if you ever have the pleasure you will know I get plenty wrong !!!

I can vouch for that Kroons !!!!!!!! :bartshocked:

Player do need to learn at it not just at out standard, right through football to the very top level !!!! :stupid: