Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Stiffs

I see the CCL Reserve Division is down to 14 teams this season. They used to have two divisions for the ressies but it's been getting smaller and smaller for the last few years. I can see a couple of clubs still in it applying for the Suburban League when they get their lights up - Knaphill, maybe MVSCR if they get Weston Green up to standard (are they still looking at doing it up?), possibly Bedfont Sports as well.

Is this a good thing or not? I've never seen a game in the division but it's said the Suburban League is better for players due to the quality of opponents. It's certainly true that a few of our punters at Camberley prefer watching Suburban League games rather than the first team.

I wonder how small the ressie division will get before the league disband it....

I see the CCL Reserve Division is down to 14 teams this season. They used to have two divisions for the ressies but it's been getting smaller and smaller for the last few years. I can see a couple of clubs still in it applying for the Suburban League when they get their lights up - Knaphill, maybe MVSCR if they get Weston Green up to standard (are they still looking at doing it up?), possibly Bedfont Sports as well.

Is this a good thing or not? I've never seen a game in the division but it's said the Suburban League is better for players due to the quality of opponents. It's certainly true that a few of our punters at Camberley prefer watching Suburban League games rather than the first team.

I wonder how small the ressie division will get before the league disband it....

VP IN MY EXPERIENCE IN WATCHING FOOTBALL. THE SUBURBAN LEAGUE APPERAS TO BE GETTING STRONGER BECAUSE OF BETTER TEAMS, STANDARD AND GROUNDS WHICH I THINK ALL HAVE HAVE TO HAVE LIGHTS (I DO STAND CORRECTED). UNFORTUNATELY UNLIKE THE CCL RESERVE SECTION HENCE THEY ARE LOSING TEAMS/CLUBS.

V.P.C.T.C. is that due to cost or Quality of Football which suprises me at Camberley.Do you charge for Ressie Games.

We charge £3 (or is it £4 now?) for Suburban League games although they are covered by our season tickets. We have a group of gentlemen who rarely go to away games and are happy to watch either the first team or the ressies at home. Keeps their money down the club I suppose which is a good thing. They like the style of football in the Suburban League. You have to think that most of the players of teams like Hampton & Richmond, AFC Wimbledon, Sutton etc. should be good enough for our first teams. Without being patronising, South Park and other step 6 teams in the Suburban will probably be playing against better players than their first team most of the time.

A very patronising comment indeed about South Park F.C. and Div 1 football in general.I personally think that South Park have made a very wise decision,a lot less travelling for one,no mammoth trips round the M25,down the M3 are a thing of the past.Nice little trips to Horley,Chipstead,Merstham,to name but a few.Div 1 FOOTBALL IS ON THE UP,as M.V.S.C.R. Showed in the Surrey Premier Cup Final against Sutton Res.Better Grounds bring in better players,which is all the better for the C.C.L.Unfortunately the Reserve div . will suffer due to Clubs moving across.

Not patronising at all Smudgey. At least not meant to be. I'm basing it on the Surrey Premier Cup which our division one teams enter. For the last eleven years it's been won by a Suburban League side. And no, the higher clubs can't just put in a load of first-teamers into their reserves in this cup.

I'd love to see a 'proper' first team win the Premier Cup. The last time it happened was when Chessington beat Bisley in 1999. Well done to MVSCR on getting to the final this year, they nearly bucked the trend, and Farleigh the year before. Next season - who knows?

On the whole I still stick to my belief that the Suburban League is better quality than most of CCL Division One and some of the Premier Division - and so it should be. If a club's using their reserves properly then they're only first-teamers who haven't been picked for that week. I can't be doing with clubs and fans who treat their reserves as a separate club.

Edited by VPCTFC

The clever Clubs do not have Reserve Teams,like Kingstonian, they loan their players out to Teams like Camberley,Merstham,Leatherhead,then play them in a Friendly away for them of course,then take em back after a few weeks.Which in my opinion disrupts the teams that take loanees.

I've been involved in both divisions and CCL div one is a better standard in general than the Suburban North/South. It's also far more intense. Theres always 2 or 3 teams every year that are head and shoulders above the rest. The prem is decent standard and more similar to CCl Prem however theres no substitute for first team football.

WIth more and more clubs applying for the SL i can see it becoming 3 divisions in the not too distant future. Bit worried about the CCL reserve division this year and lack of teams.Whitelaw any plans for a reserve shield competition?

There has been no suggestion so far that we should resurrect the Reserve Shield.

Each reserve team will play around 30 matches next season on average (26 league plus, say, four cup games). I suspect that will still need the whole season to complete although we can certainly look at a supplementary, voluntary, competition if things go "too well" as the season progresses.