Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The fall and potential rise of Bedfont Town

A bit of a surprise for me, though more so because the article I read quoted an ambition to develop a new ground possibly next to the Orchard. Well, on one side of the Orchard is Bedfont Sports, so that is out of the question, and on the other is an area of scrubland occupied by horses, the remains of abandoned vehicles and is technically classified as Green Belt.

There is a planning consent listed as The Orchard on the Hounslow Council website, so maybe the article is referring to the existing Social Club site, literally next to the existing club?

As for the 'option' on land off Bedfont Road, that has been talked of for years and every time I pass it on the train there is a huge pile of rubble on the site plus a few small businesses. Not a short term option and probably another "eyes bigger than the belly" dream. I thought Doug White walked away from Bedfont Town to spend more time with his family. Perhaps he has missed the involvement more than he expected?

In any event, I wish the new club well.

Edited by Keith B

Yes, I thought the planning bit was a bit odd as well. Three senior standard grounds next to each other on Hatton Road would surely set some sort of record for closeness!

Whether a settlement the size of Bedfont could sustain three senior clubs is another matter.

I thought Doug White walked away from Bedfont Town to spend more time with his family. Perhaps he has missed the involvement more than he expected?

I herd it was more to do with Bedfont Town and Bedfont Social Club not getting on.

Possibly there was a parting of minds?

I have not been able to access the planning documents to know which site the current planning approval relates to, but given The Orchard as the address, I expect it to be within the land currently managed by the Bedfont Football & Social Club. A bit of a mystery, maybe, but watch this space.

As suggested, can this small expanse of land support 3 local clubs? My money would be on Bedfont Sports having the upper hand - every farthing of it!

Edited by Keith B

I have not been able to access the planning documents to know which site the current planning approval relates to, but given The Orchard as the address, I expect it to be within the land currently managed by the Bedfont Football & Social Club. A bit of a mystery, maybe, but watch this space.

As suggested, can this small expanse of land support 3 local clubs?

It wouldnt be the Training/warm-up pitch area behind the ground would it ? that would be to close for comfort though eh ?

I herd rumours in late 2011 that Bedfont Town wanted to turn the pitch around and have one of the goals backing on to the divide between Feltham & Bedfont United and Bedfont Sports also herd a rumour that Bedfont Town had brought a bit of the land next to the training/warm-up pitch.

All word of mouth mind you.

I think the position may become clearer with sight of the documents on the Hounslow Council website, which for some reason I appear unable to access. I'll keep trying as this is intriguing me as well!

Beano - I had to smile at your reference to a "settlement the size of Bedfont"! Reminds me of one of those Clint Eastwood cowboy films!!

All part of non-league's rich tapestry, I am sure. And all part of why we all love this side of our lovely game - much more interesting than the Euro's or what is happening at Ibrox, me-thinks.

Edited by Keith B

As a football fan, I am delighted that Bedfont Town will continue in some form, albeit back at our former home ground. I know it was their base too, but we had it first! No-one ever wants to see a club die, so fair play to Doug for retaking the reins and keeping Bedfont Town going.

As a director of our club, however, I am pleased that a potential rival for players, sponsors and supporters - not to mention league points - has come out of the equation. At the risk of being accused of Schadenfreude, I am particularly happy that, as a result of the Peacocks' travails we have managed to achieve a long-held ambition of having Ladies football within the club and acquired an excellent admin team that come with them. Let us not forget that the fence at the Tank End forms part of the boundary between Stanwell and East Bedfont.

For all the Eastwoodian language of my previous post, I have to take my hat off to Doug White, who is a "larger than live" character and, alongside Stewart Cook (now of this parish, and a most welcome addition to the club) and drove Town up the Leagues in truly meteoric fashion. However, surely even Doug has bitten off more than he can chew attempting to build a third ground at Hatton Road. What about vehicle access? And there surely arent enough people around there to make three football club bars and the (execreble) Duke of Wellington profitable on non-matchdays?

As for Bedfont Sports, surely it was the Readers who said "this town aint big enough for the both of us" when they struck out on their own? They were right too, with both the old Bedfont FC and the Town having either stopped playing or stepped back in the last few years. That is a club on an upward curve and we should respect their progression, but not fear them.

The land in question is adjacent to the existing training pitch at Bedfont, all road access direct from Hatton Road has been approved and it is not under the leasehold of Bedfont & Feltham United Football & Social Club. I know Doug had a few issues but has satisfied Hounslow Council and will look to proceed with building Bedfont Town a home of their own, good luck to him and the club.

I on the other hand have made it clear that I'm more than happy with the decision not to continue our partnership and look forward to the ladies team becoming a permenant fixture at the RPS.

As for his reasons for walking away from the club in February, you will need to ask him as I've heard so many different reasons I no longer know what to believe :huh:

also herd a rumour that Bedfont Town had brought a bit of the land next to the training/warm-up pitch.

The land in question is adjacent to the existing training pitch at Bedfont,

So i heard right then ;)

Goodluck to Bedfont Town FC hope they build the new ground as its another team to go and watch when im not watching Hanwell Town play.

Good luck to all concerned, especially the Ladies Team at Ashford. The more local football, the better.

And, when all is said and done, good luck to anyone prepared to back local teams. Great times ahead, I think.

The land in question is adjacent to the existing training pitch at Bedfont, all road access direct from Hatton Road has been approved and it is not under the leasehold of Bedfont & Feltham United Football & Social Club. I know Doug had a few issues but has satisfied Hounslow Council and will look to proceed with building Bedfont Town a home of their own, good luck to him and the club.

I on the other hand have made it clear that I'm more than happy with the decision not to continue our partnership and look forward to the ladies team becoming a permenant fixture at the RPS.

As for his reasons for walking away from the club in February, you will need to ask him as I've heard so many different reasons I no longer know what to believe :huh:

Very interesting, GP, thanks for the insight. I wish Doug all the very best with this project, although I think it will be an enormous challenge. Meanwhile, as I think I made clear in my previous post on this thread, I remain very positive on behalf of our club.