Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vs Northwood

Won 3-1 ........Bairoh, Bitz (Pen) and super SammyKazi

well deserved by all accounts

Thanks to beano on twitter

OFF AND RUNNING!! :lol:

A slightly flattering result but welcome nevertheless.

A weird game because three of the corner flags had fallen down before kick-off but, despite my regular comments durng the game, the referee, 'lino's and home officials made no effort to put them in, so the first half was played with more upright halfway flags than corner flags and there were only two up in the second half when Jim 'manned' another flag in the 47th minute. Park pitch stuff. Surely upright corner flags are compulsory at this level? Obviously no assessor at the game.

Macca was probably our man of the match, as he made four really good saves to thwart the home attack and imperially commanded his area. Apart from the goals we only really tested their keeper the once, a fine low shot across the keeper from Dan which was expertly tipped away. The first half was rather dull, and the game only sparked to life in the last twenty or so. In the 71st Alex took a corner where there was a flag and Bairoh got 'second heads' into the net. Nine minutes later, Bitz was upended in the box after a foraging run and he coolly stroked the penalty in the corner . The game then went into a Roy Walker stage ('fast and furious') and Northwood scored the best goal of the evening, an excellent run beating three defenders on the left and a vicious across-the-box cross neatly despatched by the Northwood 16. Despite our imploring the lads to just keep the ball and see out play, Ashford decided to venture forward again and a minute later super sub Sammy tucked away a lovely goal after neat work by Dan.

Northwood should be okay. Their towering, imposing defence should see them out of trouble and they won't face a Macca every game. Decent performance by our lads - it just makes me wonder how much we'd frighten opposition if we had Bitz, Ed and Sammy all playing as attacking midfielders?

Thanks to Alan and Dave for offering me lifts home, and thanks to Shropshire Bob who drew the short straw and drove Beano and me back to our 'hoods. I would have mentioned this on the web last night but had trouble accessing the site yet again. I really could strangle Tango Man - I didn't have anything like as much trouble with password recognition on the old site.

Forgot to say, I hope Perry feels better after having to be subbed in the 12th minute last night, after I believe having a tooth knocked out and upwards. I did say to Perry's parents that I think the going rate for the tooth fairy these days is a tenner!

There was a moment in the second half where a Northwood player tried to reinstate a rogue corner flag, to a goal-kick style call of "wooooh" by the away contingent followed by an "Aaahhhh!" when he failed! :P

Good result last night.

Having been there on Saturday, I have become more and more impressed by Bairoh. Not his real name, surely.............it must be a pen-name?

As I posted after Saturday's game, no need to be despondent. Believe. Trust me, I used to be a policeman. Two home games this coming weekend - be great to celebrate two wins and a route into the FA Prize Money to bolster our finances.

Ah, Keith, only two home games over the bank holiday weekend provided Ash Trees v. Tring Athletic and / or Sittingbourne v. Burnham in the FA Cup aren't drawn.

If we draw, then it'll be Tring Ath away on Tuesday. If we win or lose(!!!) and Burnham draw, the first team won't have a midweek game next week.

Bag. points. Three. Onion. in. Old. the. :lol:

Ed, Made a slight edit to your post re the pen. hope you dont mind. ;) Walls have ears....... and sausages. :ph34r:

A decent solid performance in my view, which we needed after Saturday.

On "Refwatch", no really controversial decisions last night and Mr. Mellor had a good game, giving decisions as he saw them and speaking sensibly to players. One of our players also praised him which must speak volumes.

Just one caution on our side, for Ed Thomas, who did look a little unlucky to be picked out for a fairly innocuous foul. Once again though we weren't that quick out of the blocks when it came to resuming after half-time and an assistant had just been despatched to prise us away from the dressing room when we appeared. Unlike Saturday though, Mr. M, was quite relaxed about it.

The only odd thing, as mentioned frequently by Eddy and Beano in the manner that only they can, was that nobody, least of all the ref, seemed at all concerned that three of the four corner flags were laying on the ground for much of the game. It didn't cause a problem though.

On to more important matters and thank you Northwood for the excellent chicken curry, rice and chips after the match.

The only odd thing, as mentioned frequently by Eddy and Beano in the manner that only they can, was that nobody, least of all the ref, seemed at all concerned that three of the four corner flags were laying on the ground for much of the game. It didn't cause a problem though.

Erm, well, I think Eddy might have mentioned it a bit more frequently than I did...

However, as you brought it up, here is an extract from Law 1 of the Laws of the Game, as published on FIFA.com:

]Flagposts[/b]

A flagpost, not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) high, with a non-pointed top and a flag must be placed at each corner.

Flagposts may also be placed at each end of the halfway line, not less than 1 m (1 yd) outside the touch line.

I must have been in a bad mood, as my initial thoughts after the match were that the ref was fussy and inconsistent. However, I would agree that he sought to manage situations through dialogue rather than cards and I always applaud referees who take this approach. Two bookings for Northwood and one for us and nothing else on the report sheet. While Ed was maybe a bit unlucky, from Mr Mellor's angle the challenge he got booked for probably looked quite bad. Last word on the ref: He's assisting on the Football League at the weekend, so good luck to him for that.

Good performance from the boys and I thought the win was deserved, although we had to work hard for it. Northwood are a good side and Jack had it right on Twitter when he said that not many teams will go there and win

Apart from the lack of flags (have I mentioned that already?), I'd also agree that the ref had a good game, willing to chat to players and talk things through rather than issue cards willy nilly.

Most impressed with Northwood's barmaid, who overheard Beano saying he didn't need a glass for his ale and had the bottle ready before I'd got to the bar!

Archived