Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v. Tring Athletic

lazarus

The match at Feltham was called off due to the referee being concerned about the thunder and lightning, whilst the game at Staines was abandoned very early. The conditions at Ashford were the same no doubt but nobody seemed concerned and the pitch stood up magnificently, with not a puddle to be seen throughout.

Tring proved to be a competent side and more than worthy of their draw and will probably feel they should have won. We're still in with another shout though and will surely perform better on Tuesday even though the game is away.

On refwatch the talking points were:

Ruling out Bairoh's "goal"

The referee was adamant afterwards that Bairoh (no-one else) had pushed his opponent in the back as he stooped to head the ball home. It looked a bit harsh.

Cautions

One for Alex Duffy for a foul - the referee's view was that things had been heating up a little and that when he made the tackle, Alex was not in complete control of his body movement. Mr. Panconi felt that if he let that one go, others would follow, even though the match was generally played in a good spirit.

One for Dan Brown - most unlike Dan to kick the ball away so petulantly after being penalised, no doubt a sign of frustration. Can't blame the ref for that one. There were one or two instances later when Tring players edged the ball away after being penalised but none as blatant as Dan's, despite our players baying for cautions to be issued.

Time Added On

Mr. Panconi had responded to a request from the Tring bench near the end when he shouted one minute plus four stoppage. He then played longer than that which incensed the away bench. His explanation was that, having scored, Tring's celebrations went on for an excessive period of time, so he added more time, during which, of course, we scored.

General

There were some general moans about the refereeing afterwards but in the cold light of day, Mr. Panconi always seemed in control and, despite being one of the heftier refs, he always seemed up with play to me even if we didn't agree with all his decisions.

I thought the ref was alright other than he seemed to be influenced by the screams of the Tring players at every incident, hence several cards for us that could have been kept in his pocket. Our lads dont scream and shout at the ref's which is why we seem to be penalised and other teams get away with murder.

On Alex's tackle, in the second half a Tring player made an very strong (excellent in 1980) tackle where he flew in studs raised but won the ball fully. However, with both feet off of the ground he was not in control. That should have been a yellow if you follow the refs reasoning for Duffy's card.

Looking forward to Tuesday now.

I was level with the ref as he explained to Alex why he was cautioning him and he did say "You're off the ground, I can't let that go" at the time and I thought that was good player management. For the subsequent free-kick, he did ask Tring to move the ball back after someone in the bus shelter advised the kick was being taken from the wrong place. :rolleyes:

Dan's booking was daft and most out of character, but the ref had no choice.

On the subject of added time, if I announce a goal scored as "in the third minute of additional time", that doesn't mean we've "had three minutes". I can't remember what the watch said at the time of the goal but, if there were to have been a minimum of four minutes additional time and Tring went 2-1 up at, say 92:25, that would mean that, there would just over a minute and a half to play, if play resumed instantly, which of course it didn't. Plus, assuming that the goal was scored in the same way, without the 45 seconds Tring's forward spent delaying the restart (and not picking up a booking for it as Dan did) then that would have been within the four minutes specified.

I thought the match officials were good, as indeed they were against Rugby Town. A nice change from a lot of last season when we seemed to be under the control of officials seemingly less competent, sometimes as if we pay to watch them rather than the teams themselves.

I am sure that Dan rues his moment when he kicked the ball away and the referee had little choice but to wave his yellow card. I did not see the otherwise exceptional Bairoh's "offence", so won't offer an opinion. However, is Bairoh his real name, or just a pen name?

Good luck for the replay tonight, lads. Will be watching from afar for the updates.

Excellent win in the replay, and some much needed money in the kitty as a result, but I could only find out the result through the FA's website, as I can't access the club's website front page - no matter how or how many times I hit the 'home' or 'news' prompts,all I get is the page with Burgo's interview. Maybe a glitch in the system?

A good competent display yesterday evening and good to see a fair number of supporters present. Tring were welcoming hosts and the turn out from Spartan S Midlands League officials was certainly impressive.

We were generally in control but the match could have turned if Tring had been able to score from the spot which would have brought them level at the time. Paul in goal has taken some criticism lately but such a super triple stop should have its due plaudits. Our two goals were well taken and whilst we seemed content to sit back more in the second half, as we played up the slope, Tring rarely looked like penetrating us after the penalty incident.

On "refwatch" we had a complete new set of officials from Saturday, including a friendly jovial assistant on our flank. The only incident of note was, of course, the penalty award, about which there was little argument and which provided our only caution of the evening for Mark Bitmead. There was a degree of trepidation as to whether the card would be yellow or red, but the attacker was not exactly bearing straight down on goal and the yellow was right in my view.

Other than that the ref looked fit as a fiddle and was always up with play, clear in his decisions, albeit occasionally just a little fussy maybe, and with both teams well disciplined, he will hopefully have enjoyed his match. No complaints from us.

Ed, it all looks fine to me from my end. Did you manually type in www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com or www.atmfc.co.uk?

In an emergency, go to http://twitter.com/ashfordtownmx - there were updates there.

Cheers, Beano. My PCs at work and home have http://www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com/ set up as favourites but I'll refresh them tonight and add the twitter feed as a 'fave' too.

Good result, and some encouraging comments on this site and our own, not least through Burgo's post-match interview which was very measured and clearly he is not a bloke to get carried away with FA Cup progress.

On that subject, my reading of the FA website is that there will be £1,750 Prize Fund Money as a Preliminary Round winner and we will have to be on our game to progress further against Dunstable Town in 10 days time, as they have had a very good start themselves. Be nice to trouser a further £3,000, but it will be easier said than done.

Well done to all - back to the important stuff on Saturday when we will be hoping to build up our points tally at Leighton Town.

Photos are up on our site with the report to follow

Pictures include your 2 goals and the triple save from the keeper which at 1-0 could have changed the game entirely. No arguments with the result. Both sides were getting the ball down to play football, but you had much more in the final third than us which won the game.

http://www.tafc.co.uk/report.php?fixture_id=1858#photos

Archived