Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

7 day approaches & tapping up

the 7 day rule is simply that, it gives you seven days to find a replacement for your players, the rule against tapping up someone is stupid and outdated , if I want to approach a player I will approach him or find out where he hangs out and if he wants to play for me then I will at least give his club 7 days notice that he will be going. A lot of club managers havent even the decency to inform their player that a 7 day approach has been made by the book and so by approaching the player directly this is often overcome. If professional clubs cant prove illegal approaches have been made then how can a step 5 club.there is twitter, facebook and other forums where you can contact players so get with the technology. Nest thing you'll be asking for the 7 day approach to be faxed...lol

manontheside you couldn't be more wrong with what you have just said. That attitude is poor if you are a manager as you say you are.

As far as I am concerned it is up to the manager to carry out a certain level of decency when it comes to another clubs players. Either put in an official 7 day approach before speaking with the player, or contact the current manager of that player and have a man to man conversation.

In theory a 7 day approach is not there so the manager can 'find a replacement'. It is 7 days notice that you wish to speak to said player.

Of course, we all know it is not as black and white as that which is why I refer back to what I said about the responsibility of a manager. Treat others how you would wish to be treated.

errr I am not a manager (never realised I said I was ?) There is no sense in having a rule which you cant enforce, if you cant enforce it then its not a rule its a directive which you follow if you want and ignore when you want...a bit like the respect/anti racist campaign (hope I haven't lost anyone) To prove a player has been tapped up you need the player to confirm it , if he doesn't it goes no further (still with me?)

Football works because the big eat the small and the small feed the big,, if you don't have a budget commensurate with your rivals you will lose your players its happened since 1900 and whenever so the wheel isn't going to be reinvented anytime soon

I say if your a club that are receiving 7 day offers for your players then you must be doing something right or like manontheinside said your a small club here just to feed the big. Either way the rule is sketchy and needs amending has some clubs simply do not tell their players of such an offer whilst others fail to acknowledge the offer to the team approaching therefore complicating things. Then you have the big clubs just simply approaching players and turning their heads without any punishment whatsoever, in a perfect world they should get fined for this or at least the club losing their player getting compensated. But we do not live in a perfect world so the rules in place will have to do until amended.

You cannot make a rule change proposal either to our league has it is not a league rule but one of The FA.

Good Luck..........

The implication that you are a manager was quite clear. Once we got past your unnecessary condescending tone you actually made a bit of sense (well done).

My point was initially there is no point having the rule if there is nothing in place to make sure it's enforced it needs to be one or the other.

As a player that's received numerous offers probably unlike yourself manontheinside I agree the loads of managers don't tell players of approaches for them, maybe all offers should be made through the league who have contact information for every player.

I'm with Smallsy on this one and it's not a generational thing as there must be 25 years between us. As he said, it's about treating people as you would have them treat you.

Before anyone says "but everyone does it", set your own standards and stick to them!!!

Bari the rule is that the approach has to be sent via recorded delivery so clubs can't ignore it, it's not right when clubs ignore or don't tell players in the exact manor that it's wrong when clubs make the offers, this is either serious football or it's not.

You can also send by e-mail as well as per FA rule, But that is not important anyhow. Its more important on clarity of the rule rather than how clubs actually receive the approach. Anyhow I need to get off here to send in a 7 dayer for someone............night all :P

you've all gone round the houses to arrive back at the same point I have already said, ie don't harp on about a rule which no one check to prove any wrong doing has been done . A certain old Enfield manager was notorious in never letting his players know of 7 dayers and then delaying them moving . The power is woth the player not the club and the bottom line still is

1) Contact from club talks to player in the bar afterwards (its a democracy they can talk to anyone)

2) Player asks whats in it for him

3) Club and Player agree on a number (could be as little as £15)

4) Approaching club gives your club seven days notice . On the 8th day you can decide to release him or not (you actually dont have to )

Thats the way it goes 90% of the time, after all I am hardly going to be based in Sawbridgeworth and make a 7 dayer for a player who plays for Bari and expect Bari to give me his contact details now am I ? and how can I guarantee that Bari will even inform the player if he is crucial to their side?

I dont know why managers just cant be up front. If someone shows courtesy they get a good response. I know a few people who dont like Gordon Boateng much but he did me the courtesy of phoning me up and saying he was interested in one of our players and basically said is it ok for me to put a 7 dayer in. I said , as I would to anyone who showed that courtesy, that he didnt have to put a 7 dayer in and that he could ring my player and if the lad wants to leave I'm never gonna stand in anyones way if they didnt want to be at our place.

I cant stand clubs who just approach players constantly. My players are honest and they come in every week to tell me that so and so rung them from another club. Its embarrassing

Trenks although you are currently injured can I put a 7 dayer in for you to join us !!!

My deal to you is:

No money but double sausage & chips on a plate like me after every home game

Done Willo !!!

Is the Trenks Burger still on sale ( Double bacon cheese ) ? One of them by my peg at the end of games like the old days will do me fine !

the 7 day rule is simply that, it gives you seven days to find a replacement for your players, the rule against tapping up someone is stupid and outdated , if I want to approach a player I will approach him or find out where he hangs out and if he wants to play for me then I will at least give his club 7 days notice that he will be going.

Does this not give an indication you are a manager then?

(

Does this not give an indication you are a manager then?

Does this not give an indication you are a manager then?)

no it doesnt , and if you read the forum closely you would see what clubs I watch each week too many for me to be a manager unfortunately lol

I dont know why managers just cant be up front. If someone shows courtesy they get a good response. I know a few people who dont like Gordon Boateng much but he did me the courtesy of phoning me up and saying he was interested in one of our players and basically said is it ok for me to put a 7 dayer in. I said , as I would to anyone who showed that courtesy, that he didnt have to put a 7 dayer in and that he could ring my player and if the lad wants to leave I'm never gonna stand in anyones way if they didnt want to be at our place.

I cant stand clubs who just approach players constantly. My players are honest and they come in every week to tell me that so and so rung them from another club. Its embarrassing

that is good to hear Onebreast but it doesn't really happen like that, I have stood in many a clubhouse and seen players being spoken to by opposition managers and players , the ones who don't shower come out early to get tapped up. A lot of managers dont even tell their players when approaches are being made , how many approaches do you think was made to Troy Hewitt when he was at Clapton and how many were passed onto him ..I dont think he stayed there for the money as we know that there has never been any there .?

manontheside I don't think you quite grasp the 'rules' as much as you think you do.

A 7 day approach is made by one club(club A) to another(club b )when a club wish to speak with another clubs player. The club receiving the 7 day approach(club b )then have 7 days to speak to their player before club A do so. It is not up to club B to tell their player. That is at their descretion. It simply means that when club A approach said player they are doing so legally. It is up to club A to seek out the player. If i put in a 7 day approach for John Smith tomorrow I do not expect him to call me when the 7 days are up because his current club told him I am interested. I simply approach that player after 7 days and therefore have done so legally. These players are not under contract. Club B are not preventing the player leaving by not alerting him to the 7 day approach. You still with me?

Anyway, this will be my last post on the topic. Couldnt agree more with Trenks. If a manager uses common sense, respect and treat fellow managers how they wish to be treated then you cannot have an argument. Unfortunately there are, and always will be, those cowards who would rather be sneaky about their business. I dont care what other people do, I do things the way I think they should be done and the way I would like others to treat me.

PS - final tip manontheside........if you dont want people to jump to the wrong conclusion dont speak in the first person if you are not referring to yourself ;)

Archived