Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fourth runway alert again?

Swifty

Yet another rumour surrounding the expansion of LHR.

1. Even if agreed today, it is at least fifteen years away. Sadly local residents will be blighted by the possibility, and unable to offload their homes/assets. Go forth and multiply David Cameron - bring back Labour.

2. The Hon. Member for Spelthorne has showed yet again what a complete suicidal arse he is. Similarly, go forth and multiply you idiot.

3. Nobody who is eligible to vote in the next General Election should cast their vote for this to**er, or his party.

4. Boris for PM.

I was going to say that you 'couldn't make it up', but with the benefit of hindsight I think you can. Sadly.

Even if Labour get in, who's to say that they will protect the area from expansion.

The ConDemned and Liebore will only say what people want them to hear, and then just go against their wishes.

Ashford Town FC, BA, Local Government Officials etc. all need to sit down and agree a deal to safeguard the future of the club.

Nice idea, Adam, but it's not going to happen.

Heathrow Ltd (the new name for BAA) don't need to talk to the club at this stage. And there's no chance the Government Office for London & South East England would even consider granting the club an audience.

It's worth remembering that the proposal for Runway 4 didn't come from the airport operator and even Dr Kwarteng told the local paper that "it's not going to happen". That doesn't mean the club can afford to be complacent, but what it does mean that it can maintain a "watching brief" at this stage.

The best thing the club can do is solidify links with the local Residents' Associations and maintain the existing dialogue with Spelthorne Council so that, as the situation develops, it has all the relevant information to hand and is in a position to act as and when it needs to.

The negative PR that would come from wiping out the ground before a replacement was available would be difficult for either the Airport or the Council to stomach, so there is no need for panic just yet.

Gareth -

agree with your post except maybe the last paragraph.

They will not give a damn about negative PR any more than Chelsea FC do. 'They' being the government, Heathrow Airport, and probably the GLA. If this ever becomes a serious proposal, then the relatively few people opposing it will feel like they are p*****g in the wind, and way down their list of priorities will be where to re-locate AT(Mx)FC, ASC, Stanwell (and the Three Crowns, of course).

Sorry for the negativity, as you say - we need to keep a watching brief (but not be sucked in by the lies from officialdom).

Been there. Seen it. Suffered through it. No longer kidded by it, though.

Our Council (Spelthorne) will be deeply uncomfortable about the PR implications Runway Four might have and isn't part of the GLA.

Heathrow are not as powerful as a foreign-owned private company as they were when they were a nationalised authority, or even when it was a UK-owned behemoth that controlled most of the major airports. Negative PR might not bother them at the moment, but I suspect that will change.

I'm not suggesting complacency by any means, but I would say that this is a situation that can be kept at arms length for now. If ever the Airport itself makes a proposal, then that is the time to take up the cudgels - and well before any planning application goes in. For now, in my humble view, the club's energies are better spent on the day-to-day things.

Gareth - wise words, and I totally agree with them (which is strange, as wise is not the 4-letter word normally associated with me!).

Just a couple of further thoughts -

1. How many "average sized" women would it take to chain themselves to the entire perimeter fence of LHR (Greenham Common-style) - can volunteers please let the Club know!;

2. During what would be a lengthy process if it was ever intended to build a runway to the south of the airport (i.e. where we are), it is quite feasible that there may be further changes to parliamentary constituency boundaries, and Spelthorne may not even exist in its current shape.

Right - back to day-to-day things and let's send Daventry back to Northamptonshire point-less, but having enjoyed our hospitality and put a few more schekels in our coffers.

Archived