Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Middlesex Senior Cup

Swifty

It'll be nice to get back on the terraces tonight, though it'll be freezing cold. Remind Sue to keep the stocks of Bovril high - and to remind me to buy one of the new away badges!

This is the only major county cup we compete in that we've yet to win. As things stand, it looks like we'll be top ten in the division again without making the play-offs - not complaining, I'd actually be happy with that after the problems of a few seasons back - and we've lost the last three games, albeit all away against physical or top-form opposition, so let's have a crack at winning this cup. Go out all attack against an NGU side having a horrible season but who nearly beat us earlier this campaign, get that home tie in the semis and you never know. After all, we're only three games away from another cup!

Totally agree Ed (about the game, rather than the cowing Bovril !, as the Brummies used to say when I followed another club away from home).

The Cups are a fine addition to the season, but the league will always be the priority. We've moved on from a few years ago, under Burge & Batts on the playing side, and too many to mention off the pitch. All we have to do now is get rid of the local MP and hope for better weather to get through a backlog of fixtures.

I heard recently that things are really taking off at the airport.

All the best tonight.

Well, it wasn't the confidence-boosting goalfest we might have needed, but it's a home semi for us!

We made heavy work of it on an admittedly strength-sapping pitch (expected after the recent games on it) against a very limited North Greenford side. Admittedly, we would have won by more than 1-0 but visiting keeper Lee Pearce (remember him?) played a blinder, making half a dozen great saves and goal-preventing interceptions, and was easily man of the match.

We had the ball in the back of the net after 17 seconds but it was disallowed, and we rippled the net again in the first half (even the two vociferous NGU fans in the standing paddock agreed it should have stood) but, with extra time beginning to loom, we got the luck we deserved when Weighty scored with a heavily deflected 15 yarder in the 78th. Probably the only way we would have beaten Pearce all night

It wasn't all Ashford, though, as NGU brought a couple of decent saves out of Macca. They missed probably the easiest chance of the night when heading wide from a free kick given for an Ashford foul after Russ had been shoved forcefully from behind in similar fashion to Wycombe's keeper at Gillingham last night. Alex was also pushed into the perimeter fence by a defender contesting a throw-in. The ref was appalling in parts of the game. Fair to say Mario deserved his booking for too much lip, but how that was the only booking of the game and how NGU got away card-free beats me.

Shame to hear Ed's out for several weeks wth his shoulder injury (get well soon, young man) but delighted to see Dave and Geoff back at the club after their illnesses. They just can't keep away!

PS - Please fix the radio mic for Saturday, Phil. I know I need the exercise but I'd rather not! :lol:

PPS - Did Jack actually get our goal? He's been credited with it on the Southern League website. I thought Scott had scored and asked two others who confirmed it before I announced the scorer.

Weighty scored.

Shocking ref performance. One of the worst I have seen.

Nothing wrong with our goal when their keeper spilled it . It seems you can't even jump next to keepers now!

"It's not a head injury" he bellowed back to our bench just before Alex had to have his shirt swapped for a blood shirt after a head injury.

Arguing with their bench from thirty yards away!

The list could go on, but I can't be bothered!

Anyway a nice little semi to look forward to...... Oh err Mrs.

It seems Staines have the hump with their ref last night too. Are they using these cups to give inexperienced refs bigger games?

It says on the swans website that The managers agreed to enforce the new rule in the county cups that they would go direct to pens. Not sure if that's correct or not.

I had to shake my head at NGU's moany number 3 last night. At one point he answered a retort from one of his fans by pointing to and complaining about our pitch. This from a club who play on a ski-slope and who've had trouble staging games recently! As Beano and Dan pointed out, we'd had three games on our pitch since Sunday morning, so it didn't do too badly considering.

I asked MCFA about the apparent fact that Staines and Harefield did not play extra time in their match. The County has confirmed that there is a new rule this season which allows clubs to agree to this beforehand, if they wish to go straight to penalties.

I hadn't seen any publicity about it and neither had our County rep, who was all for getting the match re-played, and neither were Northwood judging from one tweet I saw. It's hardly surprising though when the County no longer issues a proper printed handbook that we can all refer to when there is no computer around.

We want our handbook back!

I asked MCFA about the apparent fact that Staines and Harefield did not play extra time in their match. The County has confirmed that there is a new rule this season which allows clubs to agree to this beforehand, if they wish to go straight to penalties.

I hadn't seen any publicity about it and neither had our County rep, who was all for getting the match re-played, and neither were Northwood judging from one tweet I saw. It's hardly surprising though when the County no longer issues a proper printed handbook that we can all refer to when there is no computer around.

We want our handbook back!

You are mischief-making, Mr C! The County Cup rules were produced in a printed format and the club were sent one copy for Geoff, plus one for each of the club's managers with team(s) entered into MCFA competitions, therefore five copies in total. The rule in question is not actually new, but is rather badly worded and could be interpreted both in the way it was at Staines and to suggest that extra time could only be omitted in the Final. As a result, it will be re-worded ahead of next season.

It's five years since the County printed a physical handbook and, given that they tend to be out-of-date the second the printers deliver them, there's no prospect of them making a comeback! A printable version of a complete, current season handbook is available.

Nice prog for last week's rep game, Beano. Well played!

PS - I meant to correct this earlier. We didn't have the ball in the net after 17 seconds as I said earlier on. I forgot that Lee had made the first of several exemplary saves. That first net rippler should have stood, though!

The reason the Southern League isn't in the Leagues Directory on MiddlesexFA.com is because it doesn't affiliate to the Middlesex County FA.

Glad you liked the programme - I rather enjoyed putting it together!

Gents -

any chance that the Programmes could be sent by email to Members, for the benefit of us that cannot get down to matches for one reason or another? I'd be happy to consider a wee increase in subscription.

Our (my) cash still comes in, but we lose the decent read that often is missed. The local rag is not worth reading, so until circumstances allow, I feel somewhat uninformed.

Just a thought, not a criticism. I am sure I may be missing the reason why, but as I say - just a thought.

Gotta go - I feel hungry and looking forward to a horse-burger.

And after that has digested, a pony.

I could certainly email a copy of the programme to whoever would like. I still have all of the 2011-12 and this season on file. Are there any other supporters interested,

Phil

Archived