Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Final league fixture, and Player of the Year vote

Swifty

Hoping the lads will end on a high note. This will sound harsh, but I expected far better than just two points from the three games against Barton, Chertsey and Fleet (Daventry away's always a difficult one), and the season's just fizzled out. The Rams will be looking for a point to ensure their place in the play-offs, so we'll be in for a tough game.

I'll mention the Supporters' Player of the year vote over the tannoy, but would it be worth leaving voting slips in several places, such as the bar, the tea bar and on the turnstile to be handed over with the admission tickets? Also, are supporters allowed to email their votes? When's the cut-off date for voting?

Remind me to give Iain a tenner for the sponsored walk. ;)

Swifty

Those who can't attend on Sat (that includes me) can either PM me on here or email their vote to me at club.manager@atmfc.co.uk

Shall we say cut off is Friday 10th May.

Phil

I am not sure about recent years, but I vaguely remember a further vote for Clubman/clubperson of the year. If it still exists, is there an open vote for that?

Also, with Luis Suarez in mind, might there be a "bite of the year", or is it rightfully (and thus automatically) awarded to Sue Cox in the tea bar?

The "Supporters' Player of the Year" is a vote for just one player and all supporters, including committee personnel etc. are eligible to vote.

The "Clubman (or woman) of the Year" is voted upon by members of the Committee and traditionally is done in 1,2,3 order with three points awarded for every 1st vote, two for every second place and one for every third place. Once all the votes are in, the winner is the person with the highest number of points.

Alan - thanks. As always, I know there is a reason for everything, but did not quite understand it.

I do now.

A satisfactory end to the season with, in the end, a convincing win against play-off bound Rams.

The first half was relatively even, with plenty of effort from both teams but no stinging efforts testing the keepers (Jim Mann was dominant until he had to be subbed by Nick Hardy), but our second half display felt like we needed to win to make the play-offs. We went at The Rams and, at the other end, our back four mopped up very well.

BSYCOB started brightly and missed a couple of sitters, but then got a bit frustrated early in the second half when decisions didn't go their way, and they went off the boil until they gained fresh impetus from their hirsute and talented sub.

Tremendous free kick from Harry in the 64th, a 22-yard belter into the corner proving he taught Bitz all he knows! Excellent work by sub Tommy Mooney which set Javonne up for a poacher's goal in the 78th, and we only looked wobbly when conceding a needless penalty converted by Anthony Page in stoppage time.

A good team effort all round, with Joe and Palla making the Rams defence work hard (we were surprised to see Palla in the middle and Joe on the wing, but it all worked out) and Sammy was probably man of the match following another fine display.

We were without Matt and Anto, banned after the battle of Barton, and Robbie came in and did well in midfield, and Weighty had another commanding game as captain in the absence of Russ - more stags than the Highlands, that boy Canderton! :P

Slightly frustrating, because the lads are / were capable of finishing higher this season, though we're still not quite the finished article and, let's be honest, the amount of wins and points needed to make the play-offs this season was unreal. Hopefully we'll retain as many of this squad as possible for next time out and give it a real go.

PS - Sorry for the mix-up re sub Grant Cooper's name. I thought he might have been Nathan looking at the teamsheet. I reckon we need Beano back!

Ed and Alan, in his report summed up the match very well. We deserved to win as we tried to get the ball down and play as opposed to Beaconsfield who hoofed up the pitch for most of the game.Harry' s goal ( Ed was surely right, Al, it was the opening goal) must be a strong contender for goal of the season. It was certainly the best goal I've seen from an Ashford boot this season.

Beaconsfied still go into the playoffs with an away game at Rugby. On the form shown on Saturday, it is going to be a long journey home for them.

Well both Ryan and myself has submitted POY votes and I found it quite tricky this season, could be a fair spread of candidates ?

Archived