Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Brook 1

Swifty

A topsy-turvy game with three welcome points at the end.

Lovely to see the crew on the terraces again plus some old faces - Hornchurch John, Pete House (House!) and "Mr, Season Ticket Number One" Martin Davies, who lives a few miles away now and who left the club as a result of those dark years not long ago. Good to hear Beano's back with Steph and available for the odd tannoy gig like tonight, funny to see Cider Kev bring down a Hartlepool United supporting mate wearing a shirt in the 'oppo' colours, and sorry to hear Brenwill Tony needs a triple heart bypass.

I can't believe the new league sponsors have stipulated every club needs to read out a Calor advert before kick-off. When I have to take over the mic, I'll need to work on a range of comedy voices for those ads!

We should have been three up by the half hour mark, but our finishing was profligate and Brook's defending when needed was up to the mark. Brook play good football and could surprise a few pundits, but they seem to have discipline problems (for example, did that forward remember to take off his waterwings after that dive?). They took a 37th minute lead through a 20 yard Lawrie Shennan shot which was well placed but seemed to hit the corner of the net almost in slow motion. After that, we switched off and let Brook come onto us and shoot at will, and we were a bit lucky to go in just one down - thanks to the first couple of a number of crucial saves by Macca - following our malaise. I may be in the minority here, but I also think Brook were unlucky not to get a first half penalty - it looked like a clip round the ankles when the forward was bearing down on goal.

We were more 'up for it' after the break and got the equaliser through a 25 yard thunderbolt from "Rocket" Rob Curtis. Brilliant strike and you could see how much it meant to the lads when they celebrated. We then had trouble keeping possession, and the game ebbed and flowed at both ends with chances aplenty, but our defence held out, our forwards gave Brook quite a few frights, and we got the winner in the 68th when perseverance after a post strike saw Scott Weight wallop the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Sad to think we can't sing "Hurry Up Harry" at Harry Knock any more, but there were plenty of positives despite the odd wobble. Sometimes due to luck, but sometimes due to skill, Macca kept us in the game with some great saves. Terrell was frightening down the right (how on Earth is he at this level now? Won't be for long, surely), Sammy put in a great shift down the left flank, and I was also impressed with Tom Brunton. No-one gave less than 7 out of 10, mind. Beano gets a 10 for his flawless announcement when Awoala Kponpamo came on as sub...but why is he known as Alf? Doesn't his first name rhyme with 'koala'? Mind you, he looks a big lad so I don't want to annoy him early doors!

As Beano said at the end, " a very entertaining match". There were lots of chances, a more realistic score would have been 5-4. We were terrific in the first thirty minutes, our forwards ran their defence ragged and we should have scored at least three during this passage of play. The team had a better balance with Mark Bitmead playing down the middle, he, Tyrell and Samad were outstanding during this period. Almost inevitably, having dominated the game, the opposition scored. Hayes were then the better side until half time and for the first quarter of the second. Macca made some good saves, they could have had a penalty and they missed a few chances.

The game swung our way with an outstanding goal from Rob Curtis ( we might as well just award the goal of the season award already). The confidence grew and we had more of the ball but Hayes still had their chances, including what appeared to be as trip on their forward, which the ref fortunately interpreted as a dive.

The winning goal resulted from well worked short corner. Well done for all for a hard fought three points. This is still a work in progress as new players are being assimilated into the side but overall the signs are very encouraging.

Great to get our points column ticking with a hard earned victory over a decent Hayes side.

No team could have lived with us in the first 30 minutes. Samad was unstoppable but forgot to put on his finishing boots. He apologised in the bar after the game but as we said, if he keeps getting into those positions the goals will come. The fans are fully behind him, that's for sure. Great to watch.

I also thought Bitz did well down the middle and Tyrell showed some class and will be an asset for sure.

John from Freightright and his guests enjoyed the game and purchased 4 shirts!!

Shirts are available by contacting Alan Constable by email alanc56@aol.com or just see him at the game

Well done all!!!!

So Darren now has to wear the away shirt for all teams visiting RPS this season.......... ;)

We should have been out of sight by half time, lots of missed chances ball fizzing across and lovely play from our wide men, Samad and Terrell

Don't know if anyone saw Ryan's glasses get smashed in the second half where a wide shot was travelling at some pace hit the post holding up the netting behind the goal and ricocheted where he was stood 2 feet away :o

Turned out to be an expensive night for me thankfully we got the deserved 3 points although Macca had to make a few smart saves in the second half

We have looked at the possibility of claiming for Ryan's glasses on insurance but our excess rules that out.  The Club, therefore, has invited Ryan to attend a couple of matches free of charge, to offset the cost of his new specs which will amount to £60.

I wondered if any of our supporters might be willing to have a little whip round to help him.  I'll start off with a fiver.

Thanks all that is a very kind gesture shows what a great community spirit we have at the club :)

Archived