Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Downton Abbey Rape Scene

So who saw the infamous scene last Sunday where actress Joanne Froggatt, who plays Anna Bates, was unceremoniously raped, totally shocking and un-necessary!

So who saw the infamous scene last Sunday where actress Joanne Froggatt, who plays Anna Bates, was unceremoniously raped, totally shocking and un-necessary!

It was probably an inappropriate subject for a program like Downton Abbey, but it did, or will give an insight into the way rape victims where viewed in the past. I remember a local girl who was sexually assaulted about 50 years ago, and my mother, (and most of my mates mothers) told us not to bring that girl   home, because it must have been her fault. Thankfully we have moved on from those attitudes, but they should never be forgotten.

Reckon you saw worse when you was watching your missus whilst hiding in the wardrobe....bore off TW@T

It's either a brave thing from Julian Fellowes, in that it doesn't shy away from the fact that rape has always been around (ever since Ug and Og were cave men), or it's a blemish on an otherwise good series.

I can obviously see why people were upset by the rape scene, and maybe it was a bit 'unbecoming', but it has got people talking about rape - just as the recent furor over mental health patient costumes is putting that under the public spotlight.

As Alan has said, in the past if a woman was raped it was 'her fault.'  Thankfully, attitudes have changed and the perpetrator (whichever sex) is now the one who gets blamed and stands in the dock.

It's either a brave thing from Julian Fellowes, in that it doesn't shy away from the fact that rape has always been around (ever since Ug and Og were cave men), or it's a blemish on an otherwise good series.

I can obviously see why people were upset by the rape scene, and maybe it was a bit 'unbecoming', but it has got people talking about rape - just as the recent furor over mental health patient costumes is putting that under the public spotlight.

As Alan has said, in the past if a woman was raped it was 'her fault.'  Thankfully, attitudes have changed and the perpetrator (whichever sex) is now the one who gets blamed and stands in the dock.

Unfortunately in some cultures the victim is still seen as the guilty party. 

Don't we usually rely on Eastenders and Coronation Street to update the great unwashed on acceptable behaviours in society?

Obviously I watch neither.

Obviously I watch neither.

No but you watch Downton Abbey don't you

No but you watch Downton Abbey don't you

No, wrong again. Although I'd probably enjoy it, I missed the first ones and decided I'd never catch up.

One series that I really got into was Cranford (I think it was called).

You can always tell when viewing figures start to drop  -  The writers up the stakes in the 'shock' market !

• 10 months later...

I see that Joanne Froggatt was just pipped at the post last Monday having been nominated for an Emmy award at the prestigious ceremony at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles for her amazing acting performance in Downton Abbey. It's a million miles from Coronation Street for the North Yorkshire lass where she played the downtrodden Zoe Tattersall who fell pregnant, lost the baby through cot death and then joined a religious cult:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2733449/Will-Downton-s-Anna-toast-Tinseltown-Actress-Joanne-Froggatt-against-Dame-Maggie-Smith-Emmys.html

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/08/2014-emmy-winners

Blimey Rhodsey !

You must spend most of your spare time watching the box !!

• 4 weeks later...

It's really good to have a new series of Downton back on our screens isn't it but I don't expect there will be anymore rape scenes any time soon, luckily Joanne Froggatt managed to carry it off with some supreme acting hence her deserved nomination for an Emmy award 

Apparently viewing figures for this series have been reported as 'disasterous'  !  Down by nearly 1,000,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Big J R - Yes, that's right, it's pretty dire stuff at the moment, perhaps they should have another rape scene to spice things up a bit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's right, if it wasn't for the amazing actress Joanne Froggatt viewing figures would be non existant wouldn't they, the producers have really taken their eye off the ball with this series

• 1 month later...

In what is a strange story line, when Downton surely needs all the viewers it can get, Joanne Froggatt's character, and rape victim, Anna Bates finds herself behind bars for the murder of rapist valet Alex Green:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2827620/Downton-Abbey-s-finale-cop-Mr-Green-s-murder-left-unsolved-again.html

• 3 weeks later...

Many congratulations to Joanne Froggatt for winning a Golden Globe on Sunday for best supporting actress in a tv series for her portrayal of Anna Bates in Downton Abbey, an amazing achievement:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2906923/Joanne-Froggatt-pays-touching-tribute-rape-victims-Golden-Globe-acceptance-speech.html

Joanne has come an incredibly long way from Coronation Street hasn't she where she played the downtrodden and 'piece of meat' Zoe Tattersall who fell pregnant, lost the baby through cot death and then joined a religious cult.

Archived