Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thank You Red Ed

Zippy

I can now look forward to an 8.2% rise in my fuel bill from SSE.

You, sir, are an a*secake.

I can now look forward to an 8.2% rise in my fuel bill from SSE.

You, sir, are an a*secake.

I had no idea you'd moved to Scotland.

No idea. When did he ever need to do anything to get the blame from Adam?

I am with Scottish & Southern Energy, and I found out that thanks to Red Ed's master-stroke in his speech that my fuel bills are going up 8.2% next month,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24465979

Can't help but think had Ed NOT said that Labour would freeze the price of gas and leccy, that any price rise would not have been as great.

Yes, I can afford the rise, but there are plenty of people in the UK who won't be able to afford this - what about them?   Shall they just sit there and die from hypothermia?

It is time we move to Nuclear - cheaper bills and no black-outs and sod the 'greenies' who say no to them but yes to massive wind turbines which destroy and ruin the environment.

I am with Scottish & Southern Energy, and I found out that thanks to Red Ed's master-stroke in his speech that my fuel bills are going up 8.2% next month,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24465979

Can't help but think had Ed NOT said that Labour would freeze the price of gas and leccy, that any price rise would not have been as great.

Yes, I can afford the rise, but there are plenty of people in the UK who won't be able to afford this - what about them?   Shall they just sit there and die from hypothermia?

It is time we move to Nuclear - cheaper bills and no black-outs and sod the 'greenies' who say no to them but yes to massive wind turbines which destroy and ruin the environment.

So you're blaming him because a Utilities company is being greedy.

That's why you support another political party.

Because you blame people who aren't causing the problem.

I don't deny for one minute that SSE are being profiteering sods, Loose, I 100% accept that.

However, I do not think for one minute Ed Milliband has helped people in fuel poverty through his 'I will freeze the price of gas and electricity' speech.

Prices will be frozen if Labour get back in?  Yes, at record levels - which will not help at all.

I know that prices may have gone up anyway, but certainly not at 8.2%  The gas and electricity companies are making their move, just in case Labour win the next election.

For me, it is not the end of the world, but for some others it will be.  I would hate to be one of those people who has to choose between eating and putting the fire on.

I also support a political party that is dead against profiteering and putting profits before people.

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/900-miliband-s-plans-on-economy-and-environment-would-take-us-back-to-the-seventies

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/875-time-to-stop-falling-for-the-eu-hogwash-on-energy-policy-says-helmer

If we can go ahead with Nuclear power and also mine for Fossil Fuels like we used to before the pits were shut, we might just be able to bring prices back to sensible levels.  

I don't deny for one minute that SSE are being profiteering sods, Loose, I 100% accept that.

However, I do not think for one minute Ed Milliband has helped people in fuel poverty through his 'I will freeze the price of gas and electricity' speech.

Prices will be frozen if Labour get back in?  Yes, at record levels - which will not help at all.

I know that prices may have gone up anyway, but certainly not at 8.2%  The gas and electricity companies are making their move, just in case Labour win the next election.

For me, it is not the end of the world, but for some others it will be.  I would hate to be one of those people who has to choose between eating and putting the fire on.

I also support a political party that is dead against profiteering and putting profits before people.

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/900-miliband-s-plans-on-economy-and-environment-would-take-us-back-to-the-seventies

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/875-time-to-stop-falling-for-the-eu-hogwash-on-energy-policy-says-helmer

If we can go ahead with Nuclear power and also mine for Fossil Fuels like we used to before the pits were shut, we might just be able to bring prices back to sensible levels.  

What a load of rubbish

Is it though Alan?  

Okay, let's have your thoughts on how we can get back to having sensible utility bills and not be held to ransom by energy companies and meddling politicians?

Yes it is. In the time that the Conservatives have been in Utility prices have gone up a damn sight more than 8%.

Try and leave the hyperbole out eh?

I wonder if you are getting a bit hysterical.

Take them back into public ownership.

This. The resources belong to all. No corporation and profiteering shareholders should be the sole beneficiaries. 

I agree with that Alan, trouble is do Labour and the Tories?

Loose, not hysterical personally, but worried that these rises are going to see some decent and hard working people plunged into fuel poverty.   Also, I think you'll find that ordinary domestic bills went up a lot during the Labour era.  They had 13 years to make energy cost effective, and despite 'green' energy we are forking out a fortune for our utilities but didn't - as a result, countries like France developed their own Nuclear Power and they pay a fraction of what we do for our energy!

Whichever party is in power, we cannot keep having these price rises - it won't be long before bills are £1,000 a month for ordinary people.  Completely wrong IMHO.

Interesting report from World Nuclear News (as messaged to me by Roger Helmer):

The heads of ten European utilities have called for an end to subsidies on wind and solar energy in order to rectify shortcomings in current EU energy policy.

In a joint statement, the CEOs of ten utilities - including CEZ, Enel, EOn, GDF-Suez, Iberdrola, RWE and Vattenfall - made concrete proposals to "revitalize" Europe's energy policy. They claim that the current policy has failed in its goals of lowered prices, reduced carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and securing energy supply.
The group - representing half of Europe's electricity generating capacity and boasting 213 million customers - said, "Energy security of supply is no longer guaranteed, CO2 emissions are currently on the rise, investments in the sector are not happening and energy bills are rising sharply."

The CEOs claim that investment in the energy sector has been "hampered by the uncertainty of the return on investment, in part due to the lack of a clear, foreseeable and objective energy policy framework based on stable and predictable regulation."

Energy bills for domestic customers have risen 17% over the past four years, while bills for industrial users have jumped 21%, the group noted. In order for consumers to pay a fair price for energy, the utilities said that customer prices should better reflect the market-based cost of producing it. Energy bills, they suggest, "cannot be a vehicle for financing other policies."

The "most mature" renewable technologies - wind and solar - should not receive subsidies, the utilities said, to enhance competition in the energy market. Meanwhile, the "least mature" renewable technologies should only be supported through enhanced R&D efforts.

The utility bosses called for all existing power capacity that contributes to security of supply to be utilised rather than subsidising the construction of new capacity which undermines "a level playing field between competitive technologies.

They also called for a strengthening of the European carbon market with ambitious long-term emission reduction goals so as to support low-carbon sources such as nuclear power.

The utilities have presented their proposals to key European leaders ahead of European Council meetings in early 2014 to discuss energy issues.'

Finally it looks like common sense might be coming back into play!  Totally agree with scrapping the subsidies for wind turbines (if they are that wonderful, they will pay for themselves) and more nuclear power will see bills significantly lowered.  Glad to say UKIP fully backs the report as well, and this will now be part of their manifesto for Energy.

Archived