Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Marine Sergeant found guilty of murdering Taliban

For me the real criminals are the corrupt politicians like Blair who creates illegal or immoral wars. If it was made compulsory for our warmongering leaders to send their own children to fight in the dodgy wars they create the world would be a far safer place.

With regard to the Royal Marine in question, the pressures of living in a hell hole country like Afghanistan for months on end.must be incomprehensible to the majority of us, and people that are trained to kill or be killed are always going to do this kind of thing. IMO what he did was terrible, but because of the circumstances  he was in at the time he doesn't deserve to be punished.  

I'm guessing that the dead man, a so called Freedom Fighter, a member of the Taliban would have no qualms about supporting or even taking part in the cowardly murder of other innocent people himself. The sort who laid what they call IED's or in other words mines that could kill not just soldiers but also innocent men, women and children as well. If not that the sort who'd attempt to kill our guys from cover with no warning. He probably wouldn't get much sympathy from anyone on here would he?

And yet that is precisely why a member of our armed forces should be held to a higher standard, because we should not be, aren't supporters of the callous indiscriminate murder of un-armed and vulnerable people. That's why our soldiers are out there, to uphold a different way of life for those people who deserve it, who have been treated as a cheap commodity all their lives, where life is cheap and yet it should be sacrosanct. 

Our soldier should be punished, however he's faced things I wouldn't, many of us wouldn't and because of that somehow he's lost the plot, he's somehow forgotten the rules and regulations he is meant to abide by and also he's forgotten that he's a decent human being who when faced with an unarmed wounded human being he's meant to have got that human being medical treatment. So I'll never know what our soldier has been through and I wouldn't feel fit to judge him either way but just supposing any more of our soldiers were to find themselves in the same situation with the same confusion again then a clear message needs to be sent to our armed forces and the people they fight and protect. Personally I wouldn't put the sergeant in prison.

I'm guessing that the dead man, a so called Freedom Fighter, a member of the Taliban would have no qualms about supporting or even taking part in the cowardly murder of other innocent people himself. The sort who laid what they call IED's or in other words mines that could kill not just soldiers but also innocent men, women and children as well. If not that the sort who'd attempt to kill our guys from cover with no warning. He probably wouldn't get much sympathy from anyone on here would he?

And yet that is precisely why a member of our armed forces should be held to a higher standard, because we should not be, aren't supporters of the callous indiscriminate murder of un-armed and vulnerable people. That's why our soldiers are out there, to uphold a different way of life for those people who deserve it, who have been treated as a cheap commodity all their lives, where life is cheap and yet it should be sacrosanct. 

Our soldier should be punished, however he's faced things I wouldn't, many of us wouldn't and because of that somehow he's lost the plot, he's somehow forgotten the rules and regulations he is meant to abide by and also he's forgotten that he's a decent human being who when faced with an unarmed wounded human being he's meant to have got that human being medical treatment. So I'll never know what our soldier has been through and I wouldn't feel fit to judge him either way but just supposing any more of our soldiers were to find themselves in the same situation with the same confusion again then a clear message needs to be sent to our armed forces and the people they fight and protect. Personally I wouldn't put the sergeant in prison.

I'm trying to equate the actions of the convicted soldier with the actions of the fighter pilots who under orders bomb indiscriminately knowing innocent civilians are certain to be killed. 

Someone once said that the first casualty of war is the truth, but for many of us the truth can have many different meanings. 

I'm trying to equate the actions of the convicted soldier with the actions of the fighter pilots who under orders bomb indiscriminately knowing innocent civilians are certain to be killed. 

Someone once said that the first casualty of war is the truth, but for many of us the truth can have many different meanings. 

It's a good point. If you compare the two however these surgical strikes are supposed to be targeted at specific belligerents and yet they still kill and wound non-combatants but we gloss over that don't we? It's supposed to be semi-accidental, it's not a desired outcome. 

You can't,as a soldier take the law into your own hands.

Whether we should be in these places is immaterial.We are there because out government seems it right,do I agree,hell no but I also don't agree that a soldier should deem when someone should live or die when their duty is to maintain order.

You can't,as a soldier take the law into your own hands.

Whether we should be in these places is immaterial.We are there because out government seems it right,do I agree,hell no but I also don't agree that a soldier should deem when someone should live or die when their duty is to maintain order.

Should have saved the price of a bullet and kicked him to death instead..............

I think everyone, (bar one), has made very valid points.

One thing I find odd, is that the other two marines, present at the time, were found 'not-guilty'- of any crime, so the sergeant in question has to carry the can  -  or to put it another way, he is the scapegoat for our armed forces.  'Lets wash our dirty linen in public, and see to be good people !'

On the subject of fighter/bomber pilots, the drone pilots that sit comfortably in their warm offices, directing air-strikes, are probably even more guilty of murder than this marine ever was !!

I think everyone, (bar one), has made very valid points.

You have to wonder what side Loosely is on

The thug was found guilty of murder.

I hope he never sees freedom again.

Sadly he will probably be treated leniently compared to any civilian who might commit the same crime. After all the other two got of free despite breaking UK law by covering up facts.

I have no time for armed forces who are 'fighting' abroad - they are certainly not doing it for our freedom or benefit.

The real heroes are those who had no choice but to go to war and fight for our freedom. It is those who I will remember and be grateful for at 11am!

Sorry if you disagree, that is your right, just as it is mine to be anti so called heroes.

You have to wonder what side Loosely is on

What "side" are you on Dopey?

Oh that's right, the snide side. Do let us know what your braincell thinks on the matter.

Sadly he will probably be treated leniently compared to any civilian who might commit the same crime. After all the other two got of free despite breaking UK law by covering up facts.

I have no time for armed forces who are 'fighting' abroad - they are certainly not doing it for our freedom or benefit.

The real heroes are those who had no choice but to go to war and fight for our freedom. It is those who I will remember and be grateful for at 11am!

Sorry if you disagree, that is your right, just as it is mine to be anti so called heroes.

Considering neither of us has been in a war torn hell hole its not fair to call the marine a thug, especially as the victim would almost certainly have killed without hesitation. I'm fairly certain that if I was put in a similar kill or be killed situation I would have done exactly the same, as would the majority of us..

Archived