Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Paul Burgess leaves the club

Tel

Whatever the reasons, very sorry it had to end like this. Huge thanks to Burgo for 24 years of service to the club on and off the pitch. An absolute legend.

Call me pessimistic, but it feels like the wheels have all finally fallen off. Two embarrassing defeats (thank God we don't play in a Bedfordshire league), Beano stepping down (incidentally, announced worldwide on the Kempster forum at least one day before I got a general email about this from the club), Macca leaving for Uxbridge (will the last player on our books from last season please turn the light out?) and now Burgo being relieved of his duties. What the Hell has happened during / since the close season for this all to happen?

As mentioned in the lyrics to the Mamas and Papas song "Dedicated To The One I Love", the darkest hour is just before dawn. Hopefully dawn will break with the new manager (if he agrees to join us) or with the 'power trio' of Ben, Russ and Jim. I understand Tony Pulis has never been relegated as a manager, so maybe we can snatch him away from Crystal Palace?

We need to get it right soon - this Saturday, in fact, as Potters Bar Town's away form isn't brilliant. Let's try and get the wheels back on and secured.  

One of the oldest clichés in football is that nobody is bigger than the club,Paul Burgess comes very close though.As Swifty has said, he is an absolute legend at Short Lane. Really sorry to hear about his departure and am sure that everyone at ATFC wishes him all the best for the future.

My money would be on Andy Smith as next manager.

Let's hope that the new manager's arrival coincides with an upturn in our fortunes. It certainly has been an awful season so far, it surely cant get any worse.

Burgo has been brilliant, both as a player and a manager!

The way he turned our fortunes around after JL left was quite remarkable.

I will never forget the win over Northwood !! It's the stuff football dreams are made.

Hopefully, when the dust settles we will see him around the club again. I am sure he owes me a pint!

Thanks for everything Burge!

Nobody wanted this situation to happen, especially not like this, but the League Table doesn't lie and relegation would be a disaster.

I don't think there is anyone connected with our club who isn't saddened by Paul's departure. As a player and then as a manager, Burgo has always been fantastic for Ashford and I would like to thank him for everything he has done. Whether it's that Cup Final against Northwood, the masses of trophies won in his playing days or the match against the Spurs Legends, so many happy memories connected with this club have Paul at their centre.

Cheers, Burgo.

Archived