Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Murder of Lee Rigby

I accept that justice must be seen to be done but does anyone else agree that the overblown trial of his killers is a complete waste of taxpayers money. With the video evidence, surely it could have been closed out inside a day or two?

The principle of being innocent until proven guilty is the cornerstone of our justice system, so even scumbags like the two killer are entitled to a proper trial. The cost of the trial though will be dwarfed by the sums needed to keep these two young men in prison for the rest of their lives .IMO when a persons guilt is beyond any doubt whatsoever there is a case for the death penalty to be reintroduced, but only in the most extreme of cases. This case probably falls into that category.

Would you say that about the serviceman that killed someone who was tried last week???

Don't think you can compare the two cases - one was an insurgent on active service  ( not that I am excusing what happened), the other was an unarmed  soldier in his own country going to band practice.

The defence of one of the two accused is ludicrous.

He says he can't be guilty of murder, because he is a soldier of Islam, and that he was at war.

I don't recall a state of war being decreed.

Unfortunately, without the death sentence, we can only hope for a sentence of life without parole.

The defence of one of the two accused is ludicrous.

He says he can't be guilty of murder, because he is a soldier of Islam, and that he was at war.

I don't recall a state of war being decreed.

Unfortunately, without the death sentence, we can only hope for a sentence of life without parole.

There's been a large number of fatwahs issued by Afghan war lords which has legality under Islam, but would probably not have any authority under the Geneva  convention.  It now seems taxpayers will have to spend millions, that could have been spent on something worthwhile, keeping these killer in prison, and IMO its a shame they wasn't shot dead by police marksmen, which would have been wholly justified.

There's been a large number of fatwahs issued by Afghan war lords which has legality under Islam, but would probably not have any authority under the Geneva  convention.  It now seems taxpayers will have to spend millions, that could have been spent on something worthwhile, keeping these killer in prison, and IMO its a shame they wasn't shot dead by police marksmen, which would have been wholly justified.

Yes, and had the insurgent been taken out at distance, that killing would have been wholly justified and would have saved the taxpayer a shedload.  The sentence passed on our man will act as a deterrent hopefully, and will also ensure that all insurgents are now "killed in action"

Yes, and had the insurgent been taken out at distance, that killing would have been wholly justified and would have saved the taxpayer a shedload.  The sentence passed on our man will act as a deterrent hopefully, and will also ensure that all insurgents are now "killed in action"

As were many Argentian soldiers towards the very end of the Falklands conflict.

I'll say no more on the subject other than a drinking buddy of mine finished his army career in the Falklands after 21 years as a warrant officer in a very well known regiment.  Think Colonel 'H'.  Scores had to be settled.

• 2 months later...

We agree for once, Rhodesey.

Will they appeal against the sentence, I ask ??

Archived