Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

Seems the National League are stabbing a lot of their member clubs in the back over this FA Cup replay business in a similar way they did during the covid days, if this report in the Daily Mail is to be believed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13336663/National-League-FA-Cup-replays-EFL.html

Edited by Holyport Rebel

I would have thought it would be very difficult for the National League & National League clubs to make a strong & valid case against the scrapping of FA Cup replays when they have already agreed & implemented the scrapping of replays in the FA Trophy.

6 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Seems the National League are stabbing a lot of their member clubs in the back over this FA Cup replay business in a similar way they did during the covid days, if this report in the Daily Mail is to be believed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13336663/National-League-FA-Cup-replays-EFL.html

There's fixture congestion in the National League yes, but mostly down to them not having the brains to organise mid-week fixtures in August or September when the weather is good and before the FA Cup and FA Trophy start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c51n214x1xro

I think that if it is to be reversed, it'll come from pressure from professional Football League clubs and unfortunately not from the "little teams".

5 hours ago, Curtis said:

I would have thought it would be very difficult for the National League & National League clubs to make a strong & valid case against the scrapping of FA Cup replays when they have already agreed & implemented the scrapping of replays in the FA Trophy.

I would have thought it would be very difficult for Premier League clubs to make a strong & valid case for the scrapping of FA Cup replays on account of fixture congestion.

These are the same teams who are desperate to get into the ever-expanding European competitions and all the fixtures and travelling that entails.

These are the same teams who are more than happy to jet off on tours of Asia or the USA to play Mickey Mouse pre-season tournaments like the Asia Cup.

These are the same teams who are so tired of the fixture schedule, and whose players are so desperate for a break, they've organised a post-season friendly in Australia for 22nd May, less than a week after the season ends. (https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pfa-newcastle-tottenham-australia-friendly-32432078).

Then of course there's the Euro's this summer!

It's obvious what is considered lucrative, and what is considered an inconvenience.

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

There's fixture congestion in the National League yes, but mostly down to them not having the brains to organise mid-week fixtures in August or September when the weather is good and before the FA Cup and FA Trophy start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c51n214x1xro

I think that if it is to be reversed, it'll come from pressure from professional Football League clubs and unfortunately not from the "little teams".

I would have thought it would be very difficult for Premier League clubs to make a strong & valid case for the scrapping of FA Cup replays on account of fixture congestion.

These are the same teams who are desperate to get into the ever-expanding European competitions and all the fixtures and travelling that entails.

These are the same teams who are more than happy to jet off on tours of Asia or the USA to play Mickey Mouse pre-season tournaments like the Asia Cup.

These are the same teams who are so tired of the fixture schedule, and whose players are so desperate for a break, they've organised a post-season friendly in Australia for 22nd May, less than a week after the season ends. (https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pfa-newcastle-tottenham-australia-friendly-32432078).

Then of course there's the Euro's this summer!

It's obvious what is considered lucrative, and what is considered an inconvenience.

Spot on post Nathan.

On 24/04/2024 at 01:38, Irishadrian said:

Marlow have beaten MK Dons 4-2 to secure their place in the B&B Cup Final

I was at this game alongside a couple of Slough supporters including Bonjour. No sign of Holyport Rebel so no match experience to recount from him. The Berks & Bucks Cup is such an attractive competition that 286 people turned up to watch, probably par for the course these days, although we did manage to attract 441 to Marlow when we played them back in 2019.

It was comforting to note, well at least for me, that Rebellion beer was on tap in the clubhouse and a pint of Roasted Nuts was duly consumed. Shame we couldn't have that at our ground, but probably unlikely now with the Windsor & Eton Brewery in place for next season. I was disappointed that the refurbished stand at Marlow was looking in need of a repaint. The old stand at Maidenhead was of a similar ilk and I think also at Chalfont St. Peter. Basically wooden in construction and therefore a massive fire risk, hopefully Marlow's isn't now.

Anyway enough of that and onto the game. MK Dons turned up with their young team, all names unavailable to the Marlow match administration, so we had announcements like "goal to MK Dons scored by no. 5", twice actually as he scored both goals. It was good to see Dave Tarpey buzzing around scoring 2 goals and looking like he could still do a job at Step 2 and once again the imposing Marlow 'keeper was on view (saw him in their game against Chertsey). The young lads of the EFL club stroked the ball about in true Man City style including the business of passing it out from the goalkeeper (No. 1 for those who are keeping up). This kind of play is much more suitable to plush even pitches or even our own 3G one, but not on Marlow's well grassed but uneven surface. How many times did simple passes turn into shinned efforts to control the ball?! Suffice to say Marlow's more pragmatic style and physicality suited the pitch better and it was no surprise that Marlow were 2-0 up within 25 minutes, thanks to the aforesaid Tarpey. The first goal well taken, the other within the 6 yard box after a melee. Somewhat surprisingly given how dominant Marlow had become MK Dons got a goal back, so 2-1 at Half Time. 

I was informed by Bonjour that the first goal was scored in the 16th minute (according to Marlow's website). Having checked my Golden Goal Ticket I found I had the "winning" ticket. He did of course request a cut as I wandered off to claim my reward. I found the appropriate person at the corner of the bar (why wasn't he watching the match?), who informed me it was scored in the 14th minute and the prize had been paid out! I was nevertheless rewarded as I trudged back with seeing Marlow's 3rd goal courtesy of a well set up move down the left.

To give MK Dons their due they were significantly better than how they had started and particularly in the second half. They duly got back into the game with a second goal (No. 5 again). Marlow, however, finally wrapped up the game in the 89th minute to progress to the final, which will be against Reading at Arbour Park (on 14th May we were informed as we left the ground). In the meantime Marlow have some play off games to negotiate. 

That's it off to the FA Trophy/Vase Finals Day next, Great Wakering Rovers section. Couldn't do Romford section, too many bad memories playing them back in the day. Some will know what I mean!  

20 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I've stumbled across the Northern Counties East League Division One league table and it's a very interesting one. It reminds me of the top 5 of the Southern League Premier from our promotion year. 103 points from a 44 game season isn't enough to win the league!

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/33/

A team called Harrogate Railway Athletic sit in mid table.

Is that the same side that visited Wexham Park as rank outsiders and knocked us out of the FA Cup?

9 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

A team called Harrogate Railway Athletic sit in mid table.

Is that the same side that visited Wexham Park as rank outsiders and knocked us out of the FA Cup?

Very much so. They went on to feature in a televised match if I remember correctly. Once upon a time they were pretty much only a division or so adrift of their neighbours Harrogate Town who are now, thanks to enormous financial input. in the EFL. 

Has anybody else noticed the tweet that our friend Mr Gill put out a couple of days after their play-off defeat by Braintree ?

As far as I'm aware he and his club still have F.A. charges hanging over their heads  after their antics at Arbour Park.

Bloke seems totally delusional and with a distinct lack of self-awareness.   :232:

image.png.17d3efca5c147bb6a79ca614c0b817e2.png

41 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Has anybody else noticed the tweet that our friend Mr Gill put out a couple of days after their play-off defeat by Braintree ?

As far as I'm aware he and his club still have F.A. charges hanging over their heads  after their antics at Arbour Park.

Bloke seems totally delusional and with a distinct lack of self-awareness.   :232:

image.png.17d3efca5c147bb6a79ca614c0b817e2.png

Sounds to me like a veiled dig at us and the authorities.

Envy of many clubs?

The mans a self centered egotist.

Edited by Reading Rebel

A few days after we were told we had been awarded the 3 points the Bath forum suggested that this was a done deal  and if Bath accepted this then other more serious charges would be dropped   I do hope thats not true!

After being 2-0 down to Braintree ex Rebel George Alexander equalized for Chelmsford in the 90th minute to take the game into extra time.

Unfortunately for George Braintree ran out 2-3 winners to book their place in the play-off final.

Edited by Reading Rebel