Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

I guess for me the more I think about it the more I'm annoyed, largely due to my own FA Cup memories across the years.

My first ever United match was against Spurs away on Jan 5th '80 at White Hart Lane, it was part of my Xmas Present and it was in the FA Cup.....it was magical for me and I can still see the crowd, smell the smells even now and remember dad let me stay up on a school night to watch the replay at Old Trafford on the TV because we'd been to the first match. 

I've been extremely lucky; dozens and dozens of FA Cup matches including semi finals/finals in '83, 85, 90, 96, 99, 04, 16 including replays for 83/90, the magic of going to Wembley on the Milk Train early in the morning and queuing either side of the Twin Towers to get up the steps and into the Turnstiles to get Replay tickets was always a great adventure.  When Lee Martin scored the winner against Palace I genuinely went down about twenty rows celebrating, can't buy those memories or stories.

Add into that the Slough FA Cup matches and again memories of being there when we beat Millwall and Walsall and then the pure pride/joy of having my young lad Jamie with me when we played Rochdale, Gillingham and then this season Grimsby and obviously then heading up there for the replay and all that brought, those memories of Slough's cup matches and replays I cherish just as much if not more because its my local and hometown team and my son was with me.....priceless.

Who the hell are the FA to dictate to the lifeblood of football in this country, the fans, what is and isn't going to happen with our clubs/memories and adventures.....tossers!

Edited by DonnyNo6

2 minutes ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I guess for me the more I think about it the more I'm annoyed, largely due to my own FA Cup memories across the years.

My first ever United match was against Spurs away on Jan 5th '80 at White Hart Lane, it was part of my Xmas Present and it was in the FA Cup.....it was magical for me and I can still see the crowd, smell the smells even now and remember dad let me stay up on a school night to watch the replay at Old Trafford on the TV because we'd been to the first match. 

I've been extremely lucky; dozens and dozens of FA Cup matches including semi finals/finals in '83, 85, 90, 99, 04, 16 including replays for 83/90, the magic of going to Wembley on the Milk Train early in the morning and queuing either side of the Twin Towers to get up the steps and into the Turnstiles to get Replay tickets was always a great adventure.  When Lee Martin scored the winner against Palace I genuinely went down about twenty rows celebrating, can't buy those memories or stories.

Add into that the Slough FA Cup matches and again memories of being there when we beat Millwall and Walsall and then the pure pride/joy of having my young lad Jamie with me when we played Rochdale, Gillingham and then this season Grimsby and obviously then heading up there for the replay and all that brought, those memories of Slough's cup matches and replays I cherish just as much if not more because its my local and hometown team and my son was with me.....priceless.

Who the hell are the FA to dictate to the lifeblood of football in this country, the fans, what is and isn't going to happen with our clubs/memories and adventures.....tossers!

Amazing you have such clarity of your memories over the years!......now what did I have for breakfast?

39 minutes ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I've been extremely lucky; dozens and dozens of FA Cup matches including semi finals/finals in '83, 85, 90, 96, 99, 04, 16 including replays for 83/90, the magic of going to Wembley on the Milk Train early in the morning and queuing either side of the Twin Towers to get up the steps and into the Turnstiles to get Replay tickets was always a great adventure.  When Lee Martin scored the winner against Palace I genuinely went down about twenty rows celebrating, can't buy those memories or stories.

What a great post Donny6.

I was also at  a few of  those old United FA cup matches you mention, and obviously at all of those Slough ones.

No amount of money can buy memories like those.

It is weird how things/games from years ago remain fresh in the memory, but much more recent stuff fades away and gets forgotten about.

Must be to do with getting old ! 

Edited by Holyport Rebel

38 minutes ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I've been extremely lucky; dozens and dozens of FA Cup matches including semi finals/finals in '83, 85, 90, 99, 04, 16 including replays for 83/90, the magic of going to Wembley on the Milk Train early in the morning and queuing either side of the Twin Towers to get up the steps and into the Turnstiles to get Replay tickets was always a great adventure.  When Lee Martin scored the winner against Palace I genuinely went down about twenty rows celebrating, can't buy those memories or stories.

Who the hell are the FA to dictate to the lifeblood of football in this country, the fans, what is and isn't going to happen with our clubs/memories and 

Havant and Waterlooville have a club statement on their main page highly critical of the FA and detailing the financial implication for non league clubs  Worth a look or maybe one of our computer savvy members could put it on here?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13328021/Lower-league-clubs-BOYCOTT-FA-Cup-fury-Premier-League-FA-agreed-scrap-replays-hallowed-tournament.html

Man Utd manager Erik Ten Hag has blamed FIFA and UEFA, saying "'It's very sad for the British football culture. But I think it is also inevitable. No one can do anything for it, it's due to the overload in the schedule, and that's dictated by Fifa and Uefa. There is so much overload on the players, and it has to stop".

I notice that nobody is proposing to make European ties one-legged, which seems to work well for domestic cup competitions, or reducing the number of group games, qualifying teams or rounds  etc. in order to reduce fixture congestion. Why? Because that's where the money is. Stuff grassroots football and the little clubs!

Serious question: it's unlikely to happen, but would anyone on here support a potential boycott of the FA Cup in the event that the FA don't reverse the change of format?

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13328021/Lower-league-clubs-BOYCOTT-FA-Cup-fury-Premier-League-FA-agreed-scrap-replays-hallowed-tournament.html

Man Utd manager Erik Ten Hag has blamed FIFA and UEFA, saying "'It's very sad for the British football culture. But I think it is also inevitable. No one can do anything for it, it's due to the overload in the schedule, and that's dictated by Fifa and Uefa. There is so much overload on the players, and it has to stop".

I notice that nobody is proposing to make European ties one-legged, which seems to work well for domestic cup competitions, or reducing the number of group games, qualifying teams or rounds  etc. in order to reduce fixture congestion. Why? Because that's where the money is. Stuff grassroots football and the little clubs!

Serious question: it's unlikely to happen, but would anyone on here support a potential boycott of the FA Cup in the event that the FA don't reverse the change of format?

Was thinking the same, even to the point that the lower league's set up independently of the FA and go there own way.

Edited by Sir Rebel1965

Just listened to Spencer Day doing his usual and slagging off the ref and saying that the red card for ex rebel Edon Pruti was deserved .

Interesting to hear him say that supporters can now buy shares in the club which he sees as the way forward for the club to progress financially.

Edited by Reading Rebel

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Just listened to Spencer Day doing his usual and slagging off the ref and saying that the red card for ex rebel Edon Pruti was deserved .

Interesting to hear him say that supporters can now buy shares in the club which he sees as the way forward for the club to progress financially.

So how does that work?

You send Spencer your bank acount details and pin number and he manages the rest for you?

And the share certificates will arrive some time in the future - maybe.

Edited by Sir Rebel1965