Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

How will Ebbsfleet ever get 8000 fans?

6 minutes ago, Rebellier said:

How will Ebbsfleet ever get 8000 fans?

They’re very ambitious hence this multi million pound new stadium. If they’re challenging for NL promotion in this new stadium they’ll be getting 3-4,000. Another promotion or two and 8,000 might not be enough! 

On 07/11/2022 at 14:50, Holyport Rebel said:

I know I'm starting to get on a bit but am I starting to see things that aren't there now ?

I was on my computer this morning when a link appeared from somewhere to a 2 minute colour segment of "The Big Match"  from 1971.

It had Brian Moore talking over colour match highlights of the Amateur Cup semi final replay between Slough Town and Dagenham. 

( I was never that keen on Brian Moore, and I'm even less keen on him now as he described Slough as wearing "yellow" shirts ! )

I think he said it was played at The Valley in front of ONLY 7,000.

This was still 4 years away from me becoming a proper Rebels fan, so I wasn't there.

The winning goal was credited to a Dagenham player, but from what I saw I thought it was probably a diving header own goal.

I only watched it once this morning, but now that I've tried to watch it again I can't find any trace of it.

I didn't imagine it did I ?

The club have just uploaded this clip onto Youtube.

It may seem strange that I'm digging up a post from a year and a half ago, but I remembered someone mentioning it yonks ago so I did a search for "the big match" and your post came up!

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Salisbury or AFC Totton will be joining us next season.

In the Isthmian it's Chatham or Enfield.

Its only a week since Enfield and Chatham played a 2-2 draw so hard to predict that one

6 hours ago, Nathan said:

It may seem strange that I'm digging up a post from a year and a half ago, but I remembered someone mentioning it yonks ago so I did a search for "the big match" and your post came up!

I was there Wasn't the boat race on the same day?

8 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

In the Isthmian it's Chatham or Enfield.

I noticed Rhys Forster is Enfield’s goalkeeper.

Good to see him having some success…. FA Vase winner last season & now a Step 3 play-off final.

I was surprised to see Chatham have average attendances of around 1,500, which could mean they have the funds to be a strong Step 2 club if promoted.

8 hours ago, Nathan said:

Have to say that Slough kit looked awful.

It might be the poor pictures but the shorts looked a sort of brownie colour.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

I noticed Rhys Forster is Enfield’s goalkeeper.

Good to see him having some success…. FA Vase winner last season & now a Step 3 play-off final.

I was surprised to see Chatham have average attendances of around 1,500, which could mean they have the funds to be a strong Step 2 club if promoted.

Yes hes been getting rave reviews all season so has our old friend Northy at Aveley although they lost their playoff game credited with a number of worldies

8 hours ago, Nathan said:

First game at the Valley and replay at Craven Cottage.

3 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Yes hes been getting rave reviews all season so has our old friend Northy at Aveley although they lost their playoff game credited with a number of worldies

I thought Rhys was a decent young keeper, hopefully given time and experience he'll progress into a very good keeper.

Just to mention in case you missed it Jonathan North has retired from football.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nathan said:

Nathan, you have no idea how pleased I was to read your post this morning. :thumbsup(2):

I saw the videoclip appear on youtube yesterday, and I noticed the STFC logo attached to it so guessed that the club must have posted it up.

For the past 24 hours I have been wracking my brains trying to recall where I remembered seeing it from before !

I'm sure I would have seen it when it was first  broadcast on ITV back in '71, but I knew there was no way that that would have been the source of my memories of it.

I'm really impressed that a (my) post from 18 months ago was still lurking somewhere in your memory cells, 'cos I'd completely forgotten about it !  😀

As I originally said, I don't know where it appeared from 18 months ago, but after watching it once I could never find it again !    

4 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Its only a week since Enfield and Chatham played a 2-2 draw so hard to predict that one

I have to say I have a personal interest in the result of this play-off match.

That 2-2 draw was the last game of the season, and if  Enfield had won they would have leapfrogged Chatham into 2nd place, therefore guaranteeing all home play-off matches.

They obviously didn't win as the game ended all square, so Chatham are at home for the final.

Chatham yesterday won their semi-final on penalties, and I read that their goalie missed one of their pens but saved two of Horsham's to put Chatham through.

My wife comes from Chatham, and I would love Slough to play against them in the league next season and win, so that I could have bragging rights in my household. 

My wife puts up a very good act that she is not bothered in the slightest if Chatham win, lose or draw, but I know deep down that she is.

( Who am I trying to kid !) 🤣

Even if Chatham lose and Enfield come up, I think it would be nice to have a team with the Enfield name back up to our level.

That name was massive in non-league circles 40 years ago.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

29 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

I thought Rhys was a decent young keeper, hopefully given time and experience he'll progress into a very good keeper.

Just to mention in case you missed it Jonathan North has retired from football.

Probably wanted  a swansong that wouldnt be forgotten in a hurry

39 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Nathan, you have no idea how pleased I was to read your post this morning. :thumbsup(2):

I saw the videoclip appear on youtube yesterday, and I noticed the STFC logo attached to it so guessed that the club must have posted it up.

For the past 24 hours I have been wracking my brains trying to recall where I remembered seeing it from before !

I'm sure I would have seen it when it was first  broadcast on ITV back in '71, but I knew there was no way that that would have been the source of my memories of it.

I'm really impressed that a (my) post from 18 months ago was still lurking somewhere in your memory cells, 'cos I'd completely forgotten about it !  😀

As I originally said, I don't know where it appeared from 18 months ago, but after watching it once I could never find it again !    

I have to say I have a personal interest in the result of this play-off match.

That 2-2 draw was the last game of the season, and if  Enfield had won they would have leapfrogged Chatham into 2nd place, therefore guaranteeing all home play-off matches.

They obviously didn't win as the game ended all square, so Chatham are at home for the final.

Chatham yesterday won their semi-final on penalties, and I read that their goalie missed one of their pens but saved two of Horsham's to put Chatham through.

My wife comes from Chatham, and I would love Slough to play against them in the league next season and win, so that I could have bragging rights in my household. 

My wife puts up a very good act that she is not bothered in the slightest if Chatham win, lose or draw, but I know deep down that she is.

( Who am I trying to kid !) 🤣

Even if Chatham lose and Enfield come up, I think it would be nice to have a team with the Enfield name back up to our level.

That name was massive in non-league circles 40 years ago.

I've got a vested interest in Enfield winning, it's a lot closer 😅

Looking at the Chatham squad it seems to be an over spill of ex Dartford players.

The keeper is much traveled Mich Beeney and striker Chris Dixon, both at Dartford this season.

And believe it or not lurking in their squad is 40 year old striker Danny Kedwell ex Havant and a few other clubs.

Posted (edited)

The Wednesday after Walton beat us in Amateur Cup Final we were on BBC David Colmans Sports Night Show when they had the yearly 5 aside tournament we had a team in it  v all the big London Clubs.

Edited by sdelane2308