Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

45 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Be fair and include all goals scored RR! Next you’ll be saying Goddard had an ok season too!

I am being fair.

Johnny Goddard has had a great season.

He's predominantly a wide midfielder and our top goal scorer in the league with 15 goals and that's without counting his assists.

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

It was so very nice to be able to enjoy the game yesterday in what felt like the first time in absolute ages that we had a warm sun on our faces.
And that's the thing. 
We could enjoy it.
The only "pressure" on us was to try to win some more points to get as high up in the table as possible, and end the season well.
Hemel fans couldn't enjoy the day as we could.
They were desperately hoping to earn a point or three to ensure their safety for this season.
Lots of other fans of National League South clubs went into their clubs matches yesterday's fearful of what might befall their team at 5pm.
It was/is fantastic not to be in that position.
A brilliant Johnny G strike, a great finish from Trae and a Johnny on the spot finishing touch gave us a 3-2 win. ( Despite our dodgy kit ! )
Walking out of the ground at the end of the match in the sunshine with another good away win under our belts was such a lovely feeling.. 
Next week we have a great chance to end the season on 70 points.
Seventy !
To me if you get to 70 points at the end of a season then that is a notable indicator that it has been a very successful league campaign.
Even more so when we all know how our league season started.
And we have scored, if you include the four we managed v Bath, 84 league goals.
Second highest in the Division.
More than the season long, 'running away with the league' full time Champion team Yeovil.
Yes I know we have let in a few, but all the "experts" say that scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football.
I think I'd rather try to solve a problem of stopping goals going in then trying to work out how to score them.
So next Saturday is our last game for this season.
It would be so satisfying to get the 3 points on offer to get to that 70 points mark, keep our unbeaten home record to carry on into next season, and end this season on a big high.
There's quite a few National League South clubs and fans that would love to be in our position.

Excellent read as always HR only 1 team(Dover) has won fewer away games than Welling this season  so I believe that our wonderful home record in recent months will deliver the 70 point total!

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

So we agree that supporters talking about the club getting another striker in is not doing Nathan a disservice.

Nathan has done ok for his first season at this level and if he's a part of our squad for next season hopefully he'll do even better.

Trae could be an option but that will probably depend on whether the new management at Wealdstone want him as part of their match day squad.

No we do not agree, I am taking past posts and conversations into account.

5 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Now Nathan has 17 goals not sure I’d agree he ‘has done ok’. Remember this is his first full season at this level, the highest he’s played at. It’s going to take time to get used to the standard and pace and he’s made mistakes of course.

So what would you say then; he's been the non-league Alan Shearer? Andy Deaner? Or somewhere in the middle? I think most would go in the middle.

He's certainly scored a lot more than our strikers for the past 2 seasons have, so let's give him his dues (even fondly remembered Alfonso Tenconi's goals dried up towards the end of the 2021/22 season). Nonetheless it seems like we're putting him under the microscope which is perhaps rather unfair on him (strikers do seem to get more attention than other positions), but here we are! 🔬🔬🔬

He now has 17 goals from 50 appearances, or 14 league goals from 42 league appearances (not taking into account which appearances were as a substitute) which I think is an ok return (that is to say not dreadful, but not spectacular either). There could be all sorts of reasons for this, but I'm not sure that the "he needs time to adjust" argument is applicable anymore as we're less than a week away from the end of the season. He scored 5 from his first 10 appearances, but then didn't score once in his next 10. Since 18th November he's scored 12 from 30 (League & Cup), a rate not far off once every two games so maybe he's adjusted now. But he's also gone through patches where he hasn't looked like scoring, and I think he has struggled against the better defences in the league; only 3 of his goals have come against sides who are (at the time of writing) in the top 7 (from 11 appearances).

3 hours ago, Grant Brown said:

No we do not agree, I am taking past posts and conversations into account.

What past conversations? As far as I can recall the only time he's come in for any real stick is after he missed those 2 chances against Hampton and Bath, but that passed quite quickly.

Edited by Nathan
Fixed typo

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

So what would you say then; he's been the non-league Alan Shearer? Andy Deaner? Or somewhere in the middle? I think most would go in the middle.

He's certainly scored a lot more than our strikers for the past 2 seasons have, so let's give him his dues (even fondly remembered Alfonso Tenconi's goals dried up towards the end of the 2021/22 season). Nonetheless it seems like we're putting him under the microscope which is perhaps rather unfair on him (strikers do seem to get more attention than other positions), but here we are! 🔬🔬🔬

He now has 17 goals from 50 appearances, or 14 league goals from 42 league appearances (not taking into account which appearances were as a substitute) which I think is an ok return (that is to say not dreadful, but not spectacular either). There could be all sorts of reasons for this, but I'm not sure that the "he needs time to adjust" argument is applicable anymore as we're less than a week away from the end of the season. He scored 5 from his first 10 appearances, but then didn't score once in his next 10. Since 18th November he's scored 12 from 30 (League & Cup), a rate not far off once every two games so maybe he's adjusted now. But he's also gone through patches where he hasn't looked like scoring, and I think he has struggled against the better defences in the league; only 3 of his goals have come against sides who are (at the time of writing) in the top 7 (from 11 appearances).

What past conversations? As far as I can recall the only time he's come in for any real stick is after he missed those 2 chances against Hampton and Bath, but that passed quite quickly.

Conversations at games, Nathan.

The Minhas Supporters viewpoint has also been acknowledged by Scotty in post game interviews.

46 minutes ago, Grant Brown said:

Conversations at games, Nathan.

The Minhas Supporters viewpoint has also been acknowledged by Scotty in post game interviews.

Joined the forum 2 days ago and now wants to dictate the agenda on this forum.

Good to see you on the forum Grant, what's your agenda?

Remember you are the new boy.

15 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Joined the forum 2 days ago and now wants to dictate the agenda on this forum.

Good to see you on the forum Grant, what's your agenda?

Remember you are the new boy.

I am actually not the new boy, just decided not to hide behind a screen name anymore 😘

Edited by Grant Brown

I know it’s a long way down the pyramid but has anyone on their ground hopping seen the young lad Jake Tabor at Amersham?

He’s scored 71 goals this season (at Step 6), he’s under 21, apparently Amersham have put him on a two year contract, & earlier this season Wycombe we’re looking at him.

46 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I know it’s a long way down the pyramid but has anyone on their ground hopping seen the young lad Jake Tabor at Amersham?

He’s scored 71 goals this season (at Step 6), he’s under 21, apparently Amersham have put him on a two year contract, & earlier this season Wycombe we’re looking at him.

I reckon our chief scout is on the case 😏

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

I think my lad knows him, I'm sure he played against him last season but I'll ask him.

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

This is the sort of talent we need to look at.

Amersham, who's nickname are the pies, are the champions of the Combined Counties division 1 scoring 148 goals.

OK it's a big step up but you just never know. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

7 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Bath have announced that Jerry Gill has been awarded a new contract due to his excellent achievements!

They’ve finished in the play-offs & have had a big increase in attendances…. so no surprise really.

Just a thought.

Bracknell are neck and neck with Merthyr for the last play-off spot in their division.

Gabe George and Gary Abisogun both played this season for Bracknell under I guess "duel registration" ?

Would there be any chance that these two players, if all parties agreed, be available for selection for Bracknell after our game on Saturday ?

Bracknell have their final league game the following Saturday, and obviously if they pip Merthyr would then have play-off matches to come.

I'd very much like to see Bracknell get promoted, especially after seeing them lose heartbreakingly so in last years play-off final to a last minute Truro winner.    

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Just a thought.

Bracknell are neck and neck with Merthyr for the last play-off spot in their division.

Gabe George and Gary Abisogun both played this season for Bracknell under I guess "duel registration" ?

Would there be any chance that these two players, if all parties agreed, be available for selection for Bracknell after our game on Saturday ?

Bracknell have their final league game the following Saturday, and obviously if they pip Merthyr would then have play-off matches to come.

I'd very much like to see Bracknell get promoted, especially after seeing them lose heartbreakingly so in last years play-off final to a last minute Truro winner.    

Gabe’s was a loan so he wouldn’t be able to but as Gary’s was a dual reg, he would be available if they wanted him to be involved.