Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Cove 2

Swifty

Here we go again?

Well, yes and no. Another defeat, but an unwarranted one. We should have won the game on chances alone, but this game will serve us well as an eye-opener for the season. We played well overall, but didn't make the most of our opportunities

Cove played some nice stuff, and defended doggedly at times, as well as 'mixing it' a bit. They weren't overly physical but made it difficult for us, and they let the ref know their opinions throughout out the game. We weren't helped by a poor decision by the ref just before half time, when Bitz was flattened from behind by Cove's Toby Jannaway. A tackle just above the foot with no intention of getting the ball, worthy of a red card, and he was allowed to stay on the pitch. I wonder what the two assessors made of it?

Cove took the lead in the 20th with a close range thumper from Callum Eagle. We deservedly got back on level terms when a beautiful defence-splitting pass by Tom Brunton was finished off with a belting finish by Bitz on the stroke of half time. Max Webb was very unlucky when a 25 yarder cannoned off the underside of the bar midway through the second half and, had that gone in, we may have gone on to win by a couple. Instead, a double howler by Russ and Tyler let Adam Everiss in with an easy tap-in with 15 to go. We tried hard to get back on level terms, but to no avail. The difference was that Cove had considerably fewer efforts on goal but took their chances well, something we've got to learn to do quickly. 

The lads shouldn't be downhearted too long, though. It was an enjoyable game and a good effort all round, especially from Els, Bitz and Max, and Hughesy looked lively when he came on as sub. Plenty of positives from the performance. In a way, this result may do us a bit of good. It could be a steeper learning curve than we expected, but I'm sure we'll cope fine.  

As Swifty said it was a knock out performance but we still lost.

With so many chances going begging, a wonder strike hitting the underside of the bar and rebounding out.

If we can start putting our chances away, we are in with a chance of promotion

We can start at Colliers Wood on Wednesday

You're being harsh on yourself, Mark!

Thinking over yesterday, I'm less inclined to blame us for the second goal and applaud Cove forward Adam Everiss for his tenacity instead. Adam may have got lucky, but his poacher instinct saw him in the right place at the right time to take the opportunity.

To paraphrase one of Ben's motivational thoughts, you lose 100% of the lost causes you don't chase. We need to be a bit more streetwise, get in the oppo's faces and make more nuisance of ourselves. Only a bit of tweaking needed, mind you. There were a couple of great chases for 'lost causes' yesterday, most notably Elz covering the width of the pitch to make a superb tackle (I think it's spelt Elz and not Els, if a number plate I saw in our car park yesterday is proof!). 

Dredge, not sure if you're an Ashford supporter but the club do not usually list the line up on either here, twitter or our own website. Just a historical thing but happy to email you the list if you contact me on club.manager@atmfc.co.uk

Apologies to Dredgie if he is a Tangerine! I assumed it was an attempt at counter espionage !!!

And welcome to the Ashford forum

Archived