Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Division 1 update 15/16

Smudge

I think that is an excellent communication from the League. While I agree that the three clubs at risk of relegation have had a considerable period of time to do the necessary work (as has been pointed out on another thread) there are mitigating factors in several cases as to why that hasn't been possible. That's before the question is asked as to whether things like floodlights are truly needed at Step 6 anyway. It is, after all, the tenth tier of the game in this country and I doubt that many other nations have a National League System of that many levels and even if they did, whether floodlighting would be mandatory at such a low level.

Of course, just because the League have asked the question doesn't mean they will get the answer they hope for. Nonetheless, it is good that the League has made representations on behalf of its members.

As for the possible clubs coming in, Cricklewood Wanderers are indeed playing at Wembley FC, so would probably be Spartan South Midlands bound if promoted.

Good point out Smudge! Here it is for everyone.

http://www.combinedcountiesleague.co.uk/news.php?ID=507

I have explained before re the Balham FC situation at Wibbandune. They cannot be considered yet!

Interesting comment at the bottom of the press release regarding the inclusion of Reserve sides and the majority of our clubs being in favour.

Bearing in mind the recent comments on here about Worcester Park, Farleigh etc. blocking promotion for others, this would appear to increase the problem by having a greater number of clubs with that non-promotion handicap. This is a pity in my personal opinion.

Maybe Premier Division clubs voted for it as it means that if less clubs come up, less clubs can be relegated? Just a thought!

As an aside and at a time when Reserve football is becoming less and less popular, it is very sad that the FA would rather relegate proper clubs but are happy to replace them with "the stiffs" of another club. If we were ever to go down it would be a bit boring playing someone else's Reserve side and no one would turn up to watch.

One thing our League may not yet have considered which might be more innovative is asking clubs to consider putting their Youth teams in, instead of Reserves. Bearing in mind that the Southern Youth League tend to play midweek, a Division One of say 16-18 clubs would be able to play almost all of their games on a Saturday so this might be more attractive to some clubs?  

I think that is an excellent communication from the League. While I agree that the three clubs at risk of relegation have had a considerable period of time to do the necessary work (as has been pointed out on another thread) there are mitigating factors in several cases as to why that hasn't been possible. That's before the question is asked as to whether things like floodlights are truly needed at Step 6 anyway. It is, after all, the tenth tier of the game in this country and I doubt that many other nations have a National League System of that many levels and even if they did, whether floodlighting would be mandatory at such a low level.

Of course, just because the League have asked the question doesn't mean they will get the answer they hope for. Nonetheless, it is good that the League has made representations on behalf of its members.

As for the possible clubs coming in, Cricklewood Wanderers are indeed playing at Wembley FC, so would probably be Spartan South Midlands bound if promoted.

I lived in Germany in the 1993/94 season and followed VFL Wolfsburg. At the time they were in the second division of the Bundesliga. They did not have floodlights and were not the only team in the division without them.

I think the league rules were changed last year for promotion from Division One in case reserve teams were introduced into the league. Whilst the reserve teams can not be promoted it would allow 1st teams as far down as 5th place to be promoted if the reserve teams finished in a promotion place thus still allowing 3 teams to be promoted.

The rules were indeed changed so as to prevent any reserve side blocking promotion to the Premier Division.  For example, should a reserve team finish 3rd in Division One, it would be ignored for promotion purposes, and the club finishing in 4th place would be regarded as 3rd and thus eligible for promotion.  If two reserve sides occupied the promotion places, the club finishing in 5th place would then become eligible.

As to numbers for next season, it is impossible at this stage to say whether we will have an odd or even number of teams in Division One, or the Premier next season.  Purely on a fixture basis, I can say that I will be hoping to ensure an even number of clubs in the Premier Division at least.

The rules were indeed changed so as to prevent any reserve side blocking promotion to the Premier Division.  For example, should a reserve team finish 3rd in Division One, it would be ignored for promotion purposes, and the club finishing in 4th place would be regarded as 3rd and thus eligible for promotion.  If two reserve sides occupied the promotion places, the club finishing in 5th place would then become eligible.

As to numbers for next season, it is impossible at this stage to say whether we will have an odd or even number of teams in Division One, or the Premier next season.  Purely on a fixture basis, I can say that I will be hoping to ensure an even number of clubs in the Premier Division at least.

18?  :ph34r:

18?

20 is the minimum number of teams now unless of course there is a vote to lower it to 18. Voted for at last AGM to run the league between 20-22 teams and was the rule that sent Ash down despite not being in place at the end of last season. I think next season it will be twenty teams. It could be possible that only 2 are relegated from prem if only one is promoted from div 1 and the FA do not move a club into the prem.

From a relegation from Step 4 perspective, it is looking like the only place we will be getting someone is the Southern League Central as North Greenford and AFC Hayes occupy the two spots and are well adrift currently. Would NGU be considered as CCL anymore though as they are north of the A40 which now seems to be South Midlands League terrirtory.

In the Ryman League no one in the bottom five are CCL fits as Redhill, East Grinstead or Horsham would surely find their way back to the Sussex League. Above them are the two Waltons and Corinthian Casuals but they look safe ish right now.

I suppose it is more likely that Sussex get a club or two and Dorking Wanderers transfer to the CCL but that is just a guess. 

For what it's worth (yes I know, easy for me as my club aren't down there right now) but a move to 20 clubs would make sense. We have a number of p-p's these days which is unlikely to be a situation that improves, while the Sussex and Kent Leagues only have 20. If only one club comes up as seems likely, (and AFC Croydon Athletic could well find themselves moved into the Kent catchment area instead of the CCL like their near neighbours were last year) it would provide an ideal opportunity to do this and we'd still probably only end up relegating one or maybe two from our division (if there was a transfer) to achieve it. If you finish in the bottom three, that is the risk you take.

Who will actually finish in our bottom three is the most interesting situation. Hanworth Villa keep getting hit with late goals, while Guildford are picking up points now. Right now my money is still on Frimley Green, although their player changes make it harder to work out whether they will improve and if so by how much. Hanworth will, I believe finish above Frimley, but unless Horley or Knaphill hit a sticky patch, it is a tough ask for Hanworth to get out of the bottom three now, despite their games in hand, although their recent win obviously helped reduce the gap slightly. I just can't see Guildford going down, so for me it is three of the other four in the bottom five.

So here are my early predictions:

Up from Step Six: None (AFCCA transferred to SCEL) 

Transferred over: Dorking Wanderers

Relegated from Step Four: NGU or AFC Hayes

Promoted: Camberley Town

Relegated: Hanworth Villa, Frimley Green

We start next year with 20 as a result.

Just my opinion, based on recent form and League tables.

Up from Step Six: None (AFCCA transferred to SCEL) 

I don't think the FA will do this without the club asking for it. They don't get involved in internal promotion and relegations where leagues span steps 5, 6 and 7 unless they have to. It's the only part of the system where the individual leagues can still set their own rules on how many teams go up or down although I expect the FA to standardise promotion from step 6 in the near future.

It's interesting that the North West Counties League has now changed to two up with the next four teams having play offs for the third promotion spot from it's Division One.

The SCEL has enough teams now so there's no need for the FA to add to it by taking teams from other leagues unless more drop out between now and May.

Regarding Smudge's question about T&M Wanderers earlier - you only have to finish in the top 5 at step 7 to be promoted but only one team can be promoted from each league.

Archived