Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aging crowds

Stuntman Mark

Seems Slough is not the only club with an aging crowd. There was an interesting debate on the news this morning that showed that the average age of fans in the old first division in the 80's was 27, whereas today it is 48. 

I think it definitely has an impact on atmosphere. On the rare occasion I venture to Stamford Bridge the atmosphere isn't one tenth of what it was in the 80s, despite all the recent success. There's no doubt the Slough crowd is becoming less raucous as it gets older.

Our next key off the pitch challenge when we move back to Slough for me will be attracting the next generation of younger fans and turning the new ground into a fortress.

How do we do it though? Is free entry for under 16s feasible? Our kids even interested in the live football experience these days?

Problem is a lot of guys in their 40's/50's and above who got into football at a young

age had limited choices back in those days. It was the norm to go to football.

You started watching your home town team (Slough for example), then when

you reached 14/15 went with your mates to the big city. Nowadays, kids

have a lot more options , also Premiership prices have become too expensive for the

young fan. There is also other things like computer games, etc, which we never had.

God, I sound like Victor Medrew!

Edited by Windsor Rebel

What "Victor" just said reminded me of something I heard at a Slough game last season.

A guy had bought his pre-teen kid to a game for the first time, and in the first half I heard him ask his son if he was enjoying himself, and the kid replied "I'm having a good time, it's just like being at home watching on our 3D TV"

No joke... true story

Edited by HorshamRebel

It's true that a lot of kids have grown up thinking football is something that happens on Sky. When I was a kid the only live football was the FA Cup Final. There are a few kids around Holloways Park however which is nice to see and some of them aren't mine!

I don't think free under-16s will make a difference, it's already only £2 plus all of the Youth team players get a free season ticket but most don't come. It will be much easier once we are in Slough although it's the parents/grandparents that need to be targeted to bring them.

Maybe we could organise a "bring a parent" day once we are back, instead of the usual bring a kid - turn it on it's head and be different.

The parent might be more wiling to go to that single match that way, and when the bug hits (watching football at a low cost) come back as a paying fan.

When we were in the old club, st joesphs was always taking the football team there. I use to always see kids from school there but most people don't want to travel to beaconsfield. I think the positioning of the the ground will give us a great chance of pulling back in a younger crowd. Being the only one under 30 is starting to worry me!

I have to agree with Mark, back in the 1980's I was in my 20's and now I have just turned 50 so it shows the age of supporters is getting older - even today I feel a day older than yesterday.  Have I got the wrong end of the thread again?

I think your little jape may illustrate the problem Clive! Those figures suggest the same majority of people attending matches in the 80s that are still attending them now but where's the new blood coming in from? What's going to happen to football crowds  and football in general when that generation starts to shuffle off this mortal coil?

Edited by Stuntman Mark

Why not have a 'bring a friend day' or call it 'man crèche ' where women can drop the husbands off while they go Xmas shopping. Could do it for St Neots game as they bring some away support. Maybe see if we can run a coach to Beaconsfield, see if someone can sponsor that cost. We never seem to be at home for Non a League Day so why not make our own .

When we were in the old club, st joesphs was always taking the football team there. I use to always see kids from school there but most people don't want to travel to beaconsfield. I think the positioning of the the ground will give us a great chance of pulling back in a younger crowd. Being the only one under 30 is starting to worry me!

I'm only 22.

Although I make light of the question posed, I have noticed that the "ageing"  fans are bringing their kids, the Lathys, The Thomas's, The Mcabes, and others and this was noticeable in the good weather, less so now we are in the more inclement months and this is understandable as those families are mainly young and not yet in their teens.

However we are lacking the teens into the early 20's with only a handful around, and that is where the problem lies, these are the vocal and fanatical ones who used to turn out for the likes of Capital league games.

The problem is obvious, the solution less clear.

Does everyone remember what their first Slough game was, or even how they got involved with Slough, if we get a list of people, we can perhaps see who or where we need to target if there is a common theme!  I can`t remember my first game but i used to be taken alternatelty to watch Windsor or Slough by my Grandad and Uncle, depending on who was at home, then when I was old enough to choose for myself I chose the sensible option of Slough!

Dragged along by my Dad and Grandad when quite small, didn't know what was going on other than that we were in amber, except on one confusing occasion where we wore red at Wokingham Town (they wore yellow and black). Never stopped going once I was old enough to know better (!), even though I played local football myself every week, I used to attend as many games as possible, midweek mostly.

Now I bring my 24 year old son occasionally and every now and then a friend or two will join me. Usually you'll find other non-regulars will attend if they know someone who will be going. Maybe that's the key, persuading those you know that it's a good afternoon/evening out...........offer to give them a lift........lure them with a pint at the game..........

Bernie,

I think you are correct that people may be more likely to turn up at a match if they are aware friends or people they know will be at the match.

I know not everybody uses Facebook, but there is Slough Town FC Facebook page and a facility on Facebook to set up a match as an 'event' and send out 'invites' to a match.... as people accept they are added to the list of attendees and I believe they can also make all their 'Facebook friends' aware they will be at the match.

I think this was briefly experimented with last season by the Club, I'm not sure why it wasn't persisted with (also not sure whether the Newsletter is still being sent out by e-mail, I don't recall receiving one this season).

Went to my first at Welham park saw us lose to Kettering 3-0 (I think) one of my best mates dad took us as he was a regular back then.

Remembered my mum took me. And we met up with my mate and his dad then.

To be honest the stadium needs to be launched in style and try to fill it invite youth teams give tickets to schools whatever it takes

Edited by Don Juan DeMarcus

Can't remember the match, but my first game was at the dolphin.

Then as I got older my dad would alternate between Slough, Reading, and crystal Palace. Palace came out of putting a pin in the map.

I came back to supporting Slough full time after mum had her stroke and it became a family outing and good therapy for her.

First match a 1999 friendly v Bristol Rovers. Nathan and Adam came home from school and announced they were Manchester United fans. This disgusted me, so I took them to the next match in the town we live.

Adam never took to it, but Nathan and myself have been coming ever since.

I have spoken with a lot of ex fans who say they will return when we play back in Slough. Perhaps next

year season ticket holders could be given a few free tickets to pass on to others once we have the new ground?