Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Berkhamsted Raiders

3 hours ago, BerkoRaiders said:

"The Club really know how to get their foot in the door don't they"

BerkoRaiders - Isn't that true then, you may not think so but I am Berkhamsted Raiders biggest fan for the amazing work the Club do in the Community particularly for local youngsters who would otherwise have nowhere to play football, they would be cooped up in their bedrooms for twenty four hours a day on their phones, x-boxes and play stations like the majority of kids sadly are in this day and age. The Club didn't win the 2015 UEFA European Grassroots Club of the Year Silver Award for nothing, no mean feat, as well as numerous Herts FA Charter Standard Community Club of the Year awards, Dacorum Community Sports Club of the Year in 2019 and the FA Charter Standard Community Club award in 2014. My only criticism is, as I've said before, that in winning all these prestigious awards the Club tends to ride roughshod over everything in its path, including Berkhamsted FC, and likes to rule the roost, often in a seemingly arrogant fashion. It has it's finger in pretty much all the pies in Berkhamsted and surrounding areas and various people who matter 'in their pocket' largely due to the Chairman's large personality, influence, contacts and position such as a Director of the BSGCA. Also it's hardly surprising that there are never enough pitches in Berkhamsted and the surrounding areas for their teams to play on as the Club are constantly growing and adding teams, that isn't Berkhamsted FC's fault is it yet they are paying the price for it.

It is hard to keep up. So Raiders now just want to pay a fee to use Bulbourne, like their SSMFL side  do at Kings Langley, used to do at Ashlyns School, and youth teams do as far away as Cheddington. So Bulbourne is not going to be their long sought after home of their own. Perhaps they want their home to be in Berkhamsted -at Velvet Lawn or Durrants Lane. Just as Comrades want to keep a home of their own at Broadwater.

Sounds like much ado about nothing. The council have already spent their money on a draft local plan that rejects the Thakeham estate. That suggests Bulbourne is not going to happen. Even if it did, councillors are not going to be turkeys voting for Christmas. They will not pass plans for flats on Broadwater in the face of a 4,000 signature petition to keep it green as a football ground. Raiders and Comrades do not want their homes in Bourne End and are not going to finance the buildings. Just who is going to spend money building sports facilities there and maintain them day in day out?

This link is on the Berkhamsted Comrades thread however it is related to Berkhamsted Raiders and I very much hope that the 'independent' Chair of the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Charitable Association Limited (BSGCA), Paul Forster, takes some time out of his day to read it. The freehold of the Broadwater Sports Ground, as it was known back in the day, was originally owned by the Earl Brownlow who died in the early 1920's, following his death the freehold was purchased by the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Association Limited in 1924 for the sum of £2,600 on the strict understanding that 'sport should be played on the site in perpetuity' and also 'for the permanent preservation of a pleasant open space so near the middle of the town'. I wonder what BerkoRaiders has to say about that when he or she next posts:

Comrades Confirm Historic Details Of Creation Of Broadwater Sports Ground (pitchero.com)

I was under the impression that Berkhamsted Raiders had applied for promotion to Step 6 however they do not appear on the FA's consolidated list for 2019/20 which was carried over to the 2020/21 campaign, they are also not on the 2020/21 list:

Billede

I wonder what BerkoRaiders has to say about that when he or she next posts

I think BFC are clutching at straws. Trying to make a connection between their 10 year old club and the Earl Brownlow sale of the land is a bit of a stretch. At the time of the sale, the sports played there were hockey, tennis, cricket and croquet. Unless they’re planning to revive croquet at Broadwater? They need to look to the future not to the past. Football has changed a bit in the last 100 years.

“the impression that Berkhamsted Raiders had applied for promotion to Step 6

My understanding of the senior team philosophy is that it has no interest in promotion. It’s about player development and providing a pathway into senior football for the U16-U18s at Raiders. I assume that players who want to move to a higher level will join Kings Langley or other higher graded clubs.  

12 hours ago, BerkoRaiders said:

their 10 year old club

BerkoRaiders - But Berkhamsted FC aren't a ten year old Club, why do you say that, the Club were founder members of the Herts County League as long go as 1898/99 and the Broadwater Sports Ground was purchased by the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Association in 1924 for £2,600 using public donations on the strict proviso that sport should be played on the site in perpetuity, there is a clause in the original purchase documentation to that effect. It was also made clear at the time, and is documented, that the site is intended 'for the permanent preservation of a pleasant open space so near the middle of the town'.  

11 hours ago, Rhodes said:

BerkoRaiders - But Berkhamsted FC aren't a ten year old Club, why do you say that, the Club were founder members of the Herts County League as long go as 1898/99 and the Broadwater Sports Ground was purchased by the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Association in 1924 for £2,600 using public donations on the strict proviso that sport should be played on the site in perpetuity, there is a clause in the original purchase documentation to that effect. It was also made clear at the time, and is documented, that the site is intended 'for the permanent preservation of a pleasant open space so near the middle of the town'.  

I've looked up some history. The original club, Berkhamsted Town FC, went bust in 2009 (according to Wikipedia record) Berkhamsted FC (similar name) is the current club and is in effect a new entity with a different set of Directors. Around town, I've seen posters promoting Berkhamsted Comrades FC which I assume is an attempt to connect with the history of the original club. With regard to the "permanent preservation of a pleasant open space", it hasn't been an open space for many many years. Flats got built on half the space which was the original football pitch. Then the football club created an enclosed stadium. If you wanted to enforce the view of Earl Brownlow, the ground would have to be turned back into a public open space, and I can't see the FA/League/whoever decides accepting that kind of set up.

On 25/12/2020 at 01:48, Rhodes said:

The Bulbourne Cross proposal and building housing on Broadwater do not feature in the recently published Dacorum draft Local Plan. The consultation on that plan closes in just 7 weeks, and the Thakeham/BSGCA team are belatedly seeking to have their proposal included into the plan.

I see that Berkhamsted FC commented on the 'not fit for purpose' Dacorum Borough Council Local Plan 'Emerging Strategy for Growth' 2020 - 2038, ahead of the deadline today (28 February), I wonder whether Berkhamsted Raiders did likewise:

New Dacorum Local Plan (to 2038)

We have made a submission on Dacorum’s draft local plan for housing, including comments from many supporters that signed our petition to stay at Broadwater. We do not wish to be kicked out of town to Bourne End.

BerkoRaiders - Many thanks for posting your response to the Dacorum Borough Council Local Plan 'Emerging Strategy for Growth' 2020 - 2038, it's very comprehensive and will take some time to digest. Would you agree that the Plan is not fit for purpose, the Chiltern Society for example have absolutely panned it and have 'grave concerns', you have probably already seen their comments and the scathing response to the Plan below:

210218-Dacorum-Local-Plan-Chiltern-Society-Response.pdf

Excessive Housing Numbers Proposed for Dacorum - Dacorum Local Plan - News - Chiltern Community (chilternsociety.org.uk)

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 18:44, Rhodes said:

BerkoRaiders - Many thanks for posting your response to the Dacorum Borough Council Local Plan 'Emerging Strategy for Growth' 2020 - 2038, it's very comprehensive and will take some time to digest. Would you agree that the Plan is not fit for purpose, the Chiltern Society for example have absolutely panned it and have 'grave concerns', you have probably already seen their comments and the scathing response to the Plan below:

210218-Dacorum-Local-Plan-Chiltern-Society-Response.pdf

Excessive Housing Numbers Proposed for Dacorum - Dacorum Local Plan - News - Chiltern Community (chilternsociety.org.uk)

Sadly, there are many plans that are less than fit for purpose that make it through the local/national government planning process. ?

Let's hope that the many arguments to reduce the numbers for Tring, Berkhamsted and Hemel are heard and the numbers are reduced. For Berkhamsted, it's around 2,200 additional dwellings. I think, at best, this might come down to around 1,000 which is still a substantial addition. The question then is where do Berko residents want these houses ago... and that view will probably be related to where people live. Some will want them to be on the edge of town  - the Taylor Wimpey development or Bulbourne. Others who live adjacent to those sites will want them to to be nearer the centre of town. Wherever they go, it means increased demand for sports facilities in an area which is already undersupplied. 

BerkoRaiders - Thanks for that input, I take it you are aware of the newly formed Dacorum Football Working Group in addition to the Dacorum Sports Network, there is also a fairly new Sports & Working Infrastructure Group so it does seem rather 'overkill' however your Chairman, Mr Pollard, must be in his element as the more Committees he can involve himself with, and rub shoulders with 'key decision makers', the better: 

(Public Pack)Minutes Document for Housing and Community Overview and Scrutiny, 03/03/2021 18:30 (dacorum.gov.uk)

Cllr England referred to 3.4.2 Dacorum football working group which has been launched along side the project board, can I ask what the group is? He is struggling to understand why there is a football group and how it relates to the sports strategy. He asked if there are any other specific groups planned.

L Roberts said that they decided to create this group as they have a lot of communication from football clubs, and football is by far the biggest sports activity that takes place. They have found that by creating this working group it enabling the clubs to talk with us at the same time, this way they are not replicating information and the conversations are a lot richer. They also get the Herts FA representatives and outside boards come along. It has been a positive experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2021 at 10:50, Arsenal fan said:

It is hard to keep up. So Raiders now just want to pay a fee to use Bulbourne, like their SSMFL side  do at Kings Langley, used to do at Ashlyns School, and youth teams do as far away as Cheddington. So Bulbourne is not going to be their long sought after home of their own. Perhaps they want their home to be in Berkhamsted - at Velvet Lawn or Durrants Lane. Just as Comrades want to keep a home of their own at Broadwater.

Arsenal Fan - As you suggest the plot thickens, it appears from this video that the former Tring Athletic Chairman, and current Chairman of the Dacorum Sports Network, Howard Wells is in bed with the BSGCA, Thakeham and Berkhamsted Raiders, I would have expected he would be on the side of Berkhamsted FC as he attended Ashlyns School in the late 1950's and early 1960's so should appreciate the history of Broadwater and what it means to the town:

Bulbourne Cross

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 23:44, Rhodes said:

the former Tring Athletic Chairman, and current Chairman of the Dacorum Sports Network, Howard Wells is in bed with the BSGCA, Thakeham and Berkhamsted Raiders, I would have expected he would be on the side of Berkhamsted FC as he attended Ashlyns School in the late 1950's and early 1960's so should appreciate the history of Broadwater and what it means to the town

I don't think he's "in bed" with anyone. According to his LinkedIn profile, he's the former CEO of the Irish FA and of Watford FC, former Chair of UK Sport, of the Sports and Recreation Alliance and of the Central Council of Physical Recreation. So, I guess he sees the bigger picture in terms of community sport and has a broader vision of the future. 

BerkoRaiders - Thanks for that, I don't believe Howard Wells was very popular at Tring Athletic when he was Chairman there between August 2017 and December 2019 and ended up jumping ship prior to the Club imploding in early February 2020 which I gather he was the root cause of. You mention Mr Wells tenure as Chief Executive of the Irish FA and, again, I understand he was hugely unpopular in Ireland and unceremoniously sacked in 2008, he vindictively took out an unfair dismissal case which cost the Irish FA £500,000:

Former IFA chief Howard Wells gets £30,000 settlement - BBC News

Edited by Rhodes

• 3 weeks later...

BerkoRaiders - I expect you were 'all present and correct' at the Berkhamsted Town Council meeting yesterday evening where there was an item on the Agenda for the Town Council to consider and support an application to register Broadwater as an Asset of Community Value (ACV). Unfortunately it is 'catch 22' because although approval was unanimously given at the meeting by the Town Council the application now has to be considered by the Planning Authority which comes under, surprise surprise, Dacorum Borough Council who are all for the demise of Broadwater with the likes of Paul Forster, Keith Pollard and Howard Wells working them from behind like Keith Harris and Orville. Having said all of that though, what did you make of Mr Forster's comments in a recent Hemel Today article (see below) as he is quoted as saying 'there are currently no plans, in any shape or form, to change the use of Broadwater', what do you think he is up to as we know he is someone who can't be trusted:

https://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/people/calls-for-broadwater-ground-in-berkhamsted-to-be-listed-as-an-asset-of-community-value-3215719

FC 68/21 - Broadwater Football Ground: asset of community value nomination To receive, and, if relevant, agree that the Town Council support the application to register the Broadwater Football Ground as an Asset of Community Value.

https://www.berkhamstedtowncouncil.gov.uk/uploads/amc-agenda-04-05-2021.pdf

Edited by Rhodes

On 05/05/2021 at 14:11, Rhodes said:

as we know he is someone who can't be trusted:

That's a bit harsh. I think what he's saying is correct. Nothing is going to happen with Broadwater until the Council makes a decision on where housing goes in the Local Plan. And that is some way off. I don't think anyone from Raiders or the BSGCA was at the Town Council meeting. Reading the report, it appears that only one view was presented. We'll see what happens with the Asset of Community Value and Dacorum. I'll do some digging and see what else I can find out.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2021 at 14:53, BerkoRaiders said:

My understanding of the senior team philosophy is that it has no interest in promotion. It’s about player development and providing a pathway into senior football for the U16-U18s at Raiders. I assume that players who want to move to a higher level will join Kings Langley or other higher graded clubs.  

BerkoRaiders - I meant to ask, if that is the case and the Senior team have no interest in promotion to Step 6 level then why is the Club paying through the nose for a groundshare with Kings Langley, it would save a large amount of money if you could find a suitable park pitch to play on locally as is the case with the majority of Division Two Club's.

On 07/05/2021 at 13:14, BerkoRaiders said:

That's a bit harsh. I think what he's saying is correct. Nothing is going to happen with Broadwater until the Council makes a decision on where housing goes in the Local Plan. And that is some way off. I don't think anyone from Raiders or the BSGCA was at the Town Council meeting. Reading the report, it appears that only one view was presented. We'll see what happens with the Asset of Community Value and Dacorum. I'll do some digging and see what else I can find out.

BerkoRaiders - Thanks, that would be helpful, I see there was a recent article in the HertsLive on-line paper and confirms what you say that nothing is going to happen with Broadwater until Dacorum Borough Council make a decision on where housing goes in the Local Plan. My fear though is that the likes of Paul Forster at the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Charitable Association Limited (BSGCA) and Howard Wells at the Dacorum Sports Network have one arm up the Council's back, a bit like Keith Harris and Orville, and will keep chipping away at them until they include Broadwater in the Local Plan, Mr Wells can be a very shrewd and persuasive operator:

https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/fears-berkhamsted-fc-leave-100-5425351