Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Berkhamsted Raiders

Lets get back to the topic of this thread and I can't recall whether these two links have been posted previously, two weeks apart in July 2018, it just goes to show doesn't it that there are two sides to every story but possibly no better example than the ugly spat at that time between Berkhamsted FC and Berkhamsted Raiders. It's so terribly sad, as well as mystifying, as to why Berkhamsted Raiders didn't play their cards right from the outset and diplomatically approach Berkhamsted FC to try and work closely with them instead of trying to pull the Broadwater rug from under their feet, I'm sure the Comrades approachable Chairman Steve Davis, who was born and bred in Berkhamsted, would have listened intently to any proposal of a partnership or groundshare however by going behind his back to Dacorum Borough Council and other organisations he clearly wasn't going to play ball in any way shape or form. The sky could have quite easily been the limit if only Berkhamsted Raiders hadn't wanted things all their own way and not gone about it in an under hand, devious and cloak and dagger fashion, with Premier League and Community minded Watford on the doorstep with all their millions, and the area being such a rich hotbed of young local talent, they may well have had their own small stadium, with the desired 3G surface, bought and paid for by now by the Vicarage Road Club and all this bad feeling towards them could have been avoided, it has sadly tarnished their previously good name: 

https://www.berkhamstedraiders.com/update-on-the-berkhamsted-community-stadium-project/

http://www.dacorumsports.net/news/berkhamsted-football-club-future/

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:17, Rhodes said:

What I have noticed about Berkhamsted Raiders is that they never fail to miss an opportunity and the Club are always, for example, represented at Berkhamsted Town Council, Dacorum Borough Council, Nettleden with Potten End Parish Council and Wigginton Parish Council meetings and, going by the Minutes, right in the Committee's faces.

Not only do Berkhamsted Raiders pester and harass their own Parish Council's, within the Club's catchment area, but they also see fit to go cap in hand to others in outlying areas of Hertfordshire as well as bordering Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire, such as Aldbury and Bellingdon & Asheridge, they then wonder why 'they haven't been receptive to allowing the Club access' to pitches to play on but why should they. The Club seem to think they have a God given right to ride roughshod over everyone and everything that stand in its way and this is not the way to go about things as they found out when coming up against Berkhamsted FC when trying to pull the rug from underneath them and, worst still, behind their back:

Making underused adult pitches available for youth football
As mentioned previously there are several pitches around Berkhamsted that are being under utilised due to the decline in Senior Sunday League football, often only being used once every two weeks. These include Dacorum BC pitches at Velvet Lawn and Butts Meadow, and the parish council pitch at Northchurch where the councils have been supportive, but we have faced resistance from the local adult teams and the league. We have also approached Parish Councils in Potten End, Aldbury and Bellingdon but so far, the Parish Councils haven’t been receptive to allowing us access. Whilst it may seem odd to play Raiders matches in surrounding villages, we do have a significant number of members who come from these villages, as they may not have their own youth teams. This may be an area we could enlist your support to lobby your local parish council to allow us to use these local pitches for local players.

https://www.berkhamstedraiders.com/rainy-days-and-cancelled-games/

Edited by Rhodes

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:51, Berko Fan said:

As someone directly involved in this 2 year dispute I can categorically confirm it was an underhanded attempt to takeover Berkhamsted FC's ground and trust me he more than met his match and went away with his tail firmly between his legs.  

I see that there was a thread on the Forum started in August 2017 entitled 'Berkhamsted Friction' and Berko Fan got involved on that too, he seems to know what he's talking about and clearly isn't happy to say the least at the underhand, deceitful, immoral, disreputable and devious way Berkhamsted Raiders went about things. Like I said before, had Berkamsted Raiders approached Berkhamsted FC in a friendly, open, diplomatic and above board fashion and sat around the table at Broadwater to discuss a proposal of a partnership or groundshare then I'm sure the Comrades Chairman Steve Davis, who was born and bred in Berkhamsted, would have been all ears and been more than happy to work closely with his counterpart Keith Pollard, however Mr Pollard chose to try to pull the rug from under Mr Davis's feet by going behind his back to Dacorum Borough Council and other organisations which wasn't on and after that there was obviously no way Mr Davis was going to play ball: 

Sorry folks, it's a slow news day again, over eighty photographs from Berkhamsted town centre and the idyllic Grand Union Canal nearby which reached Berkhamsted in 1798 before extending up to Birmingham in 1805, it is still known as 'The Port of Berkhamsted' from back in the day, I don't think people realise or appreciate what a special market town it is:

Berkhamsted 16/04/2019

5 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Sorry folks, it's a slow news day again, over eighty photographs from Berkhamsted town centre and the idyllic Grand Union Canal nearby which reached Berkhamsted in 1798 before extending up to Birmingham in 1805, it is still known as 'The Port of Berkhamsted' from back in the day, I don't think people realise or appreciate what a special market town it is:

Berkhamsted 16/04/2019

It's a nice little town is Berkhamsted. I'm surprised they never took any pictures of the Berkhamsted Castle ruins.

'Home & Colonial'  !

That brings back memories.  Ooops - showing my age again.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Hemel Hempstead Town are converting their Vauxhall Road pitch to a 3G surface, in a statement the Club's Chairman David Boggins said 'the new surface will allow greater participation, especially with the Tudors youth teams'. I am sure Berkhamsted Raiders have pricked up their ears at the news and could well be on the phone to Mr Boggins as we speak to try to get their foot in the door at Vauxhall Road, the Club never miss a trick:

Billede

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

I see that Hemel Hempstead Town are converting their Vauxhall Road pitch to a 3G surface, in a statement the Club's Chairman David Boggins said 'the new surface will allow greater participation, especially with the Tudors youth teams'.

It's the way forward for non league footy clubs I'm afraid.

On 28/06/2020 at 20:06, Savagebee said:

It's the way forward for non league footy clubs I'm afraid.

Why 'afraid', Savage ??

OK  -  There are still some concerns about the material used and health, but if you can afford it, then go for it.  At least you won't lose loads of games through the weather conditions.

Big J R - I see what you are getting at and I'm sure Savagebee does too but, and sorry to use a Startrek term, 'it's football (Jim) but not as we know it' you couldn't beat the old Baseball Ground in Derby back in the day as that was proper football:

forest-derby-baseball-ground-1979.png

Edited by Rhodes

Clubs at levels such as this and even up to step 2 and those at step 1 who aren’t looking to get into the league it makes total sense, low maintenance costs, you don’t lose games, train on it, can have all your sides use it if you want, hire it out for extra income etc..

1 hour ago, Big J R said:

Why 'afraid', Savage ??

OK  -  There are still some concerns about the material used and health, but if you can afford it, then go for it.  At least you won't lose loads of games through the weather conditions.

Yeah I just prefer grass pitches that's all but I do understand why more and more non league footy clubs are turning to the plastic stuff.

Although not Ashlyns School in Chesham Road where, in October 2010, the BerkoAstro 3G pitch was opened following an innovative partnership between Berkhamsted Raiders and the school where £750,000 was raised through a Football Foundation grant to deliver the project and full size 3G floodlit pitch, however I couldn't help noticing that there is a floodlit 3G pitch at the well heeled Berkhamsted School in Castle Street, I'm sure that Berkhamsted Raiders have also tried to get their foot in the door there to gain use of it:

Berkhamsted School

Edited by Rhodes

Talking of the innovative partnership between Berkhamsted Raiders and the Ashlyns School in Chesham Road, here are some photographs from the official opening of the BerkoAstro 3G pitch where £750,000 was raised through a Football Foundation grant to deliver the project and full size 3G floodlit pitch, Luther Blissett was guest at the opening:

Ashlyn's School

Edited by Rhodes

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:53, Savagebee said:

Don't blame em it's a great set up at Hemel Hempstead Town FC

https://www.hemelfc.com/amp/ground-improvements-update?__twitter_impression=true

I see that Hemel Hempstead Town have started work on converting to 3G at Vauxhall Road:

Billede

14 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I see that Hemel Hempstead Town have started work on converting to 3G at Vauxhall Road:

Billede

Tudors Are To Offer Football To NHS Staff For Only £5

Hemel Hempstead Town are doing everything they can to reward frontline workers who have served the community so well during the pandemic.

The National League South side have announced big matchday reductions - with NHS staff now able to watch the team play for only £5.

Those in the military, police force and fire service will be able catch games for just £7.

That’s not all, with adult prices slashed to £10 for the 2020-21 campaign after the impact of the coronavirus hit hard.

Chairman Dave Boggins has been thinking long and hard about the situation during lockdown and he came to the conclusion that the Tudors had to act with the challenging financial situation the world finds itself in.

They think offering the reduced rates to NHS and other key workers is the perfect way to salute the staff.

This is our way of saying thank you to the NHS staff for the sacrifice they have made in very challenging circumstances,” he said.

“The NHS staff have been on the front line and put themselves at risk for us. This is the least we could do for our NHS heroes.

“We look forward to welcoming them and hope they'll be able to enjoy the football at Vauxhall Road next season.”

He added: “We understand that so many supporters have been impacted financially by the pandemic.

“This was extremely important to me as some may have lost jobs or had a loss of income. We want Vauxhall Road to be a place where our community can come together to support each other and hopefully see some success on the pitch."

Great stuff ? :clap:

On 22/05/2020 at 15:08, Winslow Boy said:

How long before they are announced at Hemel?

Winslow Boy - If you are  right then Steve Bateman and Lee Bircham will be announced as the new joint Managers of Hemel Hempstead Town tomorrow morning:

The new Hemel Hempstead Town Manager will be revealed live on BBC Three Counties Radio tomorrow. He’ll give his first live interview on Andy Collins’ show at 745am Thursday morning. Listen live on 103.8FM, 104.5FM, 95.5FM, DAB, freeview or online: https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl96/2020/07/16

adio

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - If you are  right then Steve Bateman and Lee Bircham will be announced as the new joint Managers of Hemel Hempstead Town tomorrow morning:

The new Hemel Hempstead Town Manager will be revealed live on BBC Three Counties Radio tomorrow. He’ll give his first live interview on Andy Collins’ show at 745am Thursday morning. Listen live on 103.8FM, 104.5FM, 95.5FM, DAB, freeview or online: https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl96/2020/07/16

adio

WB has contacts I'm going with what he says ?