Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Rhodes

Milton Keynes Robins/Unite MK To Merge

Posted (edited)

Here we go folks, breaking news hot off the press:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

Yes, news literally boiling off the press, I gather the finer details and fine tuning of the exciting merger for next season are being discussed 'as we speak':

Delighted to announce that we have agreed to merge with Unite FC which will take place at the end of this season. The merger should put the club in a stronger position moving forward with views of looking to add more senior teams as well as a youth setup.

Spartan Division 1 side Milton Keyes Robins have announced they will merge with Division 2 club Unite MK. Milton Keynes Robins (formerly Buckingham Town) say the merger will take place at the end of the season. They aim to add more senior and youth teams to their setup.

Unite MK would like to point out that we have announced with Milton Keynes Robin that we have agreed to merge. We still have to wait for the Spartan South Midlands League to confirm that they will agree to this and the FA have shown no objection. Further details will follow in due course.

13 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Here we go folks, breaking news hot off the press:

Billede

Makes sense I guess.

I was just wondering whether there was any more news on the exciting Milton Keynes Robins/Unite MK merger for next season, whenever that is likely to start, if at all, does anybody know

I'm just wondering whether the exciting merger of Milton Keynes Robins and Unite MK, that was scheduled for next season, will now be deferred to 2021/22, does anybody know

Sure it’ll go ahead whenever the next season starts. 

Winslow Boy - Are you certain about that, I know Unite MK had already given notice to withdraw from the SSML Division 2 for 2020/21 prior to the planned merger with Milton Keynes Robins and they also withdrew their Reserve side from the North Buckinghamshire & District League Intermediate Division however, in principle, voiding the entire 2019/20 season means that Club's remain in the same League, therefore how will the exciting merger will be affected.

It won’t. There will be no unite and however is involved there will be involved at MK, and anyone that isn’t will join other clubs. 

Posted (edited)

There has been an announcement on the merger between Milton Keynes Robins & Unite MK as, in a surprise development, it includes Milton Keynes Irish Veterans who play in the Milton Keynes Veterans League Division One, the new name of the Club will be Milton Keynes Irish FC and their plan is to play in the SSML Division One next season. I'm quite surprised by the dramatic name change so soon after Buckingham Town changed their name, after 136 years, to Milton Keynes Robins in January last year with Manager Terry Shrieves saying in a statement that it was 'in great reluctance' in a hope to attract the financial backing we need to keep going:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/miltonkeynesrobinsfc/news/club-merger-2539343.html

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

Hope they have the luck of the Irish 😀

Surprise surprise, the merger between Milton Keynes Robins and Unite MK, which now includes Milton Keynes Irish Veterans, has been picked up by the anoraks on another Forum and, unsurprisingly, one has pointed out that there is a ruling in place whereby, following such a merger, the new Club must play, or at least start playing, in the division within the National League System of the lower ranked Club. Although Step 7 is not officially recognised as being within the National League System there is still promotion and relegation involved between Division One and Division Two of the SSML, I can't imagine that Terry Shrieves will be too impressed if the Club are placed in Division Two for next season. I'm surprised Karen hasn't been on the other Forum to clarify matters as she is usually like Mick the Miller, and quick out of the traps, when an SSML issue such as this arises:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/2019-20-name-changes-mergers-closures.145/page-5

The regulation states that the FA's NLS Committee "shall determine at its absolute discretion where the Merged Club is to be included in the NLS for the following Playing Season."
It goes on to mention that, in arriving at its decision, the Committee may apply various minimum criteria, one of which is that "the Merged Club will ordinarily be placed at the lower of the Steps at which the Merging Clubs ended the Playing Season in which the application is made."
I think that last bit is pretty much all the regulation used to say. So it's all now rather mealy-mouthed but bottom line is it's at the FA's discretion.

On 01/06/2020 at 08:17, Rhodes said:

Surprise surprise, the merger between Milton Keynes Robins and Unite MK, which now includes Milton Keynes Irish Veterans, has been picked up by the anoraks on another Forum and, unsurprisingly, one has pointed out that there is a ruling in place whereby, following such a merger, the new Club must play, or at least start playing, in the division within the National League System of the lower ranked Club. Although Step 7 is not officially recognised as being within the National League System there is still promotion and relegation involved between Division One and Division Two of the SSML, I can't imagine that Terry Shrieves will be too impressed if the Club are placed in Division Two for next season. I'm surprised Karen hasn't been on the other Forum to clarify matters as she is usually like Mick the Miller, and quick out of the traps, when an SSML issue such as this arises:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/2019-20-name-changes-mergers-closures.145/page-5

The regulation states that the FA's NLS Committee "shall determine at its absolute discretion where the Merged Club is to be included in the NLS for the following Playing Season."
It goes on to mention that, in arriving at its decision, the Committee may apply various minimum criteria, one of which is that "the Merged Club will ordinarily be placed at the lower of the Steps at which the Merging Clubs ended the Playing Season in which the application is made."
I think that last bit is pretty much all the regulation used to say. So it's all now rather mealy-mouthed but bottom line is it's at the FA's discretion.

Technically, the playing season never ended.

1 hour ago, petethegreek said:

Technically, the playing season never ended.

I think you are being a bit too technical as usual and also contradicting what you have said in previous posts about the 2019/20 season ending prematurely, I have a feeling that 'the new' Club will be placed in the SSML Division Two next season

Posted (edited)

I reckon somewhere on an old thread I mentioned that they would end up as MK Irish or MK City Irish, we had all been told that from the get go. 

Edited by Winslow Boy

Winslow Boy - I hadn't heard that from the outset, or the get go as you put it, you seem to always be far better informed than me but obviously I realise now that it is because the Club play at the Irish Centre and, presumably, a deal was done to include Milton Keynes Irish Veterans in the merger, also I expect money changed hands. The new Club are already up on Wikipedia but not on the Irish Centre website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes_Irish_F.C.

http://www.irishcentremk.com/

It was the worst kept secret down there, they couldn’t do it straightaway because of the ‘merger’. I have a lot of time for the manager and some of the players there, I hope they can make a good go of it, potential is there for MK to have a really good non league club. 

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - I hadn't heard that from the outset, or the get go as you put it, you seem to always be far better informed than me but obviously I realise now that it is because the Club play at the Irish Centre and, presumably, a deal was done to include Milton Keynes Irish Veterans in the merger, also I expect money changed hands. The new Club are already up on Wikipedia but not on the Irish Centre website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes_Irish_F.C.

http://www.irishcentremk.com/

Winslow Boy has contacts I've always said it 😉

To be fair the Irish centre have been trying to get a side for a long time now. Hopefully this incarnation sticks, been a lot of teams that have called that ground home over the years. 

MK Irish are delighted to announce the first group of players who have signed on with us for the upcoming season.

George Shrieves, Ryan Coyle, Mason Spence and Callum Williams have all signed on at The Irish and previous Milton Keynes Robins fans will recognise the familiar faces.

All four were on the books at the Robins last season and will be looking forward to the journey with the new club.

Attacker George Shrieves enjoyed a fruitful season at MK Robins in 2019/20, finishing with 18 goals and 21 assists in 40 appearances. Shrieves has been a regular in the side since joining in 2017 from Newport Pagnell, before Buckingham Town became MK Robins.

Fellow signing Mason Spence was the only player to outscore Shrieves last season, notching 22 goals and 11 assists in 26 appearances. Spence began his career at MK Dons, making his professional debut in 2012 and playing for Colchester, Hayes & Yeading, Chelmsford and Hitchin before joining MK Robins in 2019 from Cambridge.

Left-back Callum Williams also signs on the dotted line after making 36 appearances for MK Robins last term, helping the defence to keep 10 clean sheets. Williams signed for the Robins at the start of the 2019/20 season, and made the second most appearances for the club last year and kept the joint most clean sheets.

Finally, Ryan Coyle also has committed to the Irish for the 2020/21 season, after making 26 appearances and scoring 1 goal last season. Echoing the views of everyone at the club, Coyle highlighted the excitement around the new challenge ahead and the chance to build on what the squad could’ve achieved last season: “The progress we showed last season was incredible, we were firmly in the promotion race and also reached a cup final, so I can’t wait to play with this group of lads again and kick on a step further.”

Firstly, club captain Robert Macdonald will remain at the club after making 35 appearances last season, during which the midfielder scored 9 goals. A former Cambridge United scholar, Macdonald has been at the club since 2019 and will remain as the captain for next season. Speaking after the recent return to training, Macdonald said:

“It was good to see most of the main faces from last season and a couple of new ones at our first socially distanced training session on Tuesday, hopefully we can build on the successes we had last year and try to get to another cup final.” 

Touching on the as yet unknown start date of 2020/21, the skipper added:

“This year hasn’t been the best so far for many reasons, including our league form, but if we can improve our consistency we should be in for a good season, whenever that may be.”

Another midfielder remaining on the books for 2020/21 is Liam Smyth, a player with Southern League experience under his belt who joined the club from Newport Pagnell in 2019. Smyth made 28 appearances last season, scoring twice and providing six assists.

Moving onto confirmation of a defensive addition, centre-back Christiaan Beaupierre has also signed on following a season where he had a hand in most clean sheets at the Robins, helping the team to 11 in 35 appearances.

Beaupierre, who joined the club at the start of last season, also found himself on the scoresheet one time in 2019/20, scoring from the penalty spot Stotfold.

Jamie Atkins is the final player to be announced today, who made 16 appearances in a Robins shirt last term, alongside 33 the season before, and has been at the club since manager Terry Shrieves took over in 2018. Speaking highly of his teammates, Atkins praised the atmosphere within the squad, saying:

“I’m really excited to sign for the club for another season, we’ve got an amazing bunch of lads and I think we can really build on last season’s improvements and take the next step towards trophies and success.”

As the new season draws ever closer, we are delighted to confirm the first of our provisional friendlies for the upcoming season. 

All the games are planned to go ahead throughout the month of August, and will see us face three higher league opponents – Kempston Rovers, Aylesbury United and Oxford City Under 23’s. 

One of the highlights of the pre season schedule is when we welcome Old Bradwell United, who were our opponents in the SSML League Challenge Trophy Final, which was unfortunately postponed due to the outbreak of COVID-19. 

Lastly, we also welcome Totternhoe in what will be another competitive game. 

More friendlies may still be arranged in the future so please keep checking our socials for more news. 

Whilst we are pleased to announce the upcoming friendlies, we must stress all matches that we have arranged so far are provisional as we await more updates on guidelines regarding COVID-19.

Friendlies.png

First Team

13 July 20

Friendlies arranged for upcoming season...

1/2 We are still looking for a Reserve Team Manager for the upcoming season. A great opportunity for a manager to work closely and build a squad that could potentially make the step up to the first team whilst competing in the UCL Reserve league...

If you are interested please contact us on any of our social media pages or please send an email to admin@mkirishfc.co.uk

The next in our series of sign on announcements sees the confirmation of another three players remaining at the Irish, whilst another returns to the club after a season away.

In the goals department, two of last season’s strikers have agreed to stay on at MK Irish, the first being Jack Clarkson. The forward, who had one of the best goal to games ratios for MK Robins last year – scoring eight goals in fifteen appearances – has been at the club since 2018.

Another player tasked with scoring the goals for next season is experienced attacker Vinny Shrieves, older brother of midfielder George. Vinny ended last season third in the goalscoring charts with sixteen.

Centre-back Scott Dummett is the next player confirmed to have signed on for 2020/21, after making 27 appearances and helping to keep seven clean sheets on the way. The defender also scored two goals, including a memorable late local derby winner against Buckingham Athletic in December. 

Dummett has enjoyed playing for manager Terry Shrieves and said: “I’m delighted to have signed on for another season with the club, the last couple of years playing for Terry have been brilliant.”

The defender echoed the views of everyone at MK Robins last year in wanting to go a step further in the upcoming campaign: “Last season was good overall, being in the promotion race and getting to the league cup final. However, this season I’m hoping we can build on those successes and challenge for the league title and win a couple of cups.”

And finally, returning to the squad after a year playing for Unite MK, one of the clubs involved in the merger that formed MK Irish, is centre-midfielder Shane Uings.

A former Dartford player, Uings made twelve appearances for Unite MK last season, scoring one goal. Uings was on the books for the Robins during the 2018/19 season, making 37 appearances for the club.

FRIENDLY NEWS

Our first friendly of the season against this Saturday will be a 2pm Kick Off. The bar is now back open and will be open from midday however there will be procedures in place to follow guidelines.