Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Archive Updates

GarySTFC

2 hours ago, michaelSTFC said:

Back Row: Stuart Bannister (kit man), Mark Pye, Terry Angus, TED MCMINN, MATT STOWELL, Lloyd Owusu, TERRY MITCHELL, Gary Abbott, Super Kev
Middle Row: ????, ????, GARY DUFFY?, WAYNE WATTS?, DANNY WICKS, Ben Miles, Cliff Hercules, Paul Wilkerson, DEREK SIMPSON, Mark Fiore, Rob Smith, ????, Brian McDermott
Front Row: Grant Eaton, Paul Hardyman, Mark West, Gary McGinnis, Alan Thorne, Gary Brazil, LEE RANDALL, Danny Bolt, Byron Walton

Blanking on all the coaches. Is Gary Micklewhite missing?

The player next to Ted McMinn is definitely Tony Nolan.

The players missing from the above list who played in season 1997/8 are Corey Brown, Danny Bailey, Gary Smart, Matt Stowell, Dudley Gardner, Graeme McVie and Jason Webster. 

4 hours ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Filled in some gaps. Matt Stowell & Garry Smart must be in there too, but not sure which ones! Alan Thorne IS the guy with the tie.

Back Row: Stuart Bannister (kit man), Mark Pye, Terry Angus, ????, TONY NOLAN, Lloyd Owusu, ????, Gary Abbott, Super Kev
Middle Row: ????, ????, ????, ????, ????, Ben Miles, Cliff Hercules, Paul Wilkerson, DEREK SIMPSON, Mark Fiore, Rob Smith, ????, Brian McDermott
Front Row: Grant Eaton, Paul Hardyman, Mark West, Gary McGinnis, Alan Thorne, Gary Brazil, LEE RANDALL, Danny Bolt, Byron Walton

The player on the right of Owusu could be Matt Stowell, he had a similar hair style.

The only player who looks vaguely like Garry Smart is middle row second in from the left.

Edited by Reading Rebel

16 hours ago, michaelSTFC said:

Back Row: Stuart Bannister (kit man), Mark Pye, Terry Angus, TED MCMINN, MATT STOWELL, Lloyd Owusu, TERRY MITCHELL, Gary Abbott, Super Kev
Middle Row: ????, ????, GARY DUFFY?, WAYNE WATTS?, DANNY WICKS, Ben Miles, Cliff Hercules, Paul Wilkerson, DEREK SIMPSON, Mark Fiore, Rob Smith, ????, Brian McDermott

Blanking on all the coaches. Is Gary Micklewhite missing?

Gary Micklewhite only made 15 appearances at the back end of his carer for us from August until October 1996.

He was approached by a league club to be a coach during the season, possibly at Charlton, and couldn't turn it down.

According to his biography he's now a cab driver in London. 

Standing next to Brian McDermott, isn't that Brian Burke the physio?

I don't know a player called Jason Webster but Gavin Menagh was a reserve forward that played for Slough around that period,so I would imagine he is one of those young players. Though I thought he had black hair?

The player next to the blokes in white t-shirts on the left  I know but it's bugging me as I can't get his name. Bear with me.

It is Matt Stowell between Lloyd Owusu and Gary Abbot.

Wayne Watts is middle row, fourth on the left with the wavy frizzy fair hair. By the way the picture was taken before the commencement of the 1997 -98 season.

Kevin Hill is the second man on the left side in the white t-shirt in the middle row.

Edited by 3spirit

14 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Standing next to Brian McDermott, isn't that Brian Burke the physio?

I don't know a player called Jason Webster but Gavin Menagh was a reserve forward that played for Slough around that period,so I would imagine he is one of those young players. Though I thought he had black hair?

The player next to the blokes in white t-shirts on the left  I know but it's bugging me as I can't get his name. Bear with me.

Gavin Mernagh made 10 appearances for us in the season 1996/7 so won't be in the photo.

He ended up playing for Flackwell Heath with his football career ending at the age of 33 after breaking his leg in a game against Reading Town.

He went on to coach Flackwell under 18's.  

20 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

It is Matt Stowell between Lloyd Owusu and Gary Abbot.

Wayne Watts is middle row, fourth on the left with the wavy frizzy fair hair. By the way the picture was taken before the commencement of the 1997 -98 season.

Kevin Hill is the second man on the left side in the white t-shirt in the middle row.

Not sure how Ted McMinn got in the photo because he only played for us at the back end of the 1996/7 season.

Edited by Reading Rebel

I've just found a programme from an old box of various programmes over different time periods I've got,  dated 29th December, 1997 Slough Town v Farnborough, guess who's playing at number 3 and at number 5 for Farnborough, if it is correct, only Jon Underwood and Neil Baker !

Other Farnborough notables Wayne Stemp at 2, Martin Rowlands at 4, Steve Baker at 7, David Harlow at 8 and Phil Wingfield at 11. 

Edited by 3spirit

8 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

I've just found a programme from an old box of various programmes over different time periods I've got,  dated 29th December, 1997 Slough Town v Farnborough, guess who's playing at number 3 and at number 5 for Farnborough, if it is correct, only Jon Underwood and Neil Baker !

Other Farnborough notables Wayne Stemp at 2, Martin Rowlands at 4, Steve Baker at 7, David Harlow at 8 and Phil Wingfield at 11. 

3spirit, not sure Bakes played in those games.

I've just looked at the F'borough line up and their is only one Baker so presumably that will be Steve Baker.

1 minute ago, Reading Rebel said:

3spirit, not sure Bakes played in those games.

I've just looked at the F'borough line up and their is only one Baker so presumably that will be Steve Baker.

He might not of played but he was listed as in the starting line up on the back cover on the Slough programme. Perhaps that was a line up from a previous game.

14 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Not sure how Ted McMinn got in the photo because he only played for us at the back end of the 1996/7 season.

He finished 1996/7 season and was kept on in the summer, so when the photo was taken [before the pre season friendlies had started], some of these players were then discarded, when better signings were sanctioned. It's called 'edging your bets' ! : - ]

12 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

He might not of played but he was listed as in the starting line up on the back cover on the Slough programme. Perhaps that was a line up from a previous game.

He finished 1996/7 season and was kept on in the summer, so when the photo was taken [before the pre season friendlies had started], some of these players were then discarded, when better signings were sanctioned. It's called 'edging your bets' ! : - ]

Seems Ted McMinn retired after playing for us due to artheritus in the knee. 

He has a book out called 'Tin Man' which apparently was his nickname and details quite an eventful life in football culminating with having a leg amputated due to a mystery illness. 

30 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Seems Ted McMinn retired after playing for us due to artheritus in the knee. 

He has a book out called 'Tin Man' which apparently was his nickname and details quite an eventful life in football culminating with having a leg amputated due to a mystery illness. 

Poor sod. No one would wish that on anyone. You just never know what life is going to throw at you.  

Some would say when he played for Slough, he looked like he was playing with one leg ! ?  However, it's like all footballer's careers, you cannot judge players overall, on one club.

Of course, fans will to a certain extent [myself included] as we only see the player who turns out for our team. Previous marvellous performances at other clubs have little bearing.

Ted McMinn must have been a good player given the amount of games he played in League football. His stint at Slough Town wasn't a highpoint, though, for him or us.

Edited by 3spirit

25 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Poor sod. No one would wish that on anyone. You just never know what life is going to throw at you.  

Some would say when he played for Slough, he looked like he was playing with one leg ! ?  However, it's like all footballer's careers, you cannot judge players overall, on one club.

Of course, fans will to a certain extent [myself included] as we only see the player who turns out for our team. Previous marvellous performances at other clubs have little bearing.

Ted McMinn must have been a good player given the amount of games he played in League football. His stint at Slough Town wasn't a highpoint, though, for him or us.

Over the years we've had a few players come to us who have clearly been 'over the hill' and were a waste of time and money.

The one that I remember the most was ex spurs player Phil Beal who made 19 appearance in the 1997/8 season and really should have retired before he joined us.

3 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Over the years we've had a few players come to us who have clearly been 'over the hill' and were a waste of time and money.

The one that I remember the most was ex spurs player Phil Beal who made 19 appearance in the 1997/8 season and really should have retired before he joined us.

Funny enough, I don't remember Phil Beal joining. I remember a very overweight Kenny Sansom joining us around that sort of time.

6 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Blimey, if he played in the 1997/98 season then he really should have retired long before that! ?

Micklewhite and McMinn both played at Derby at the same time, probably the link there.. Brian McDermott certainly did have some great contacts. Also, some great luck when Gary McGinnis walked in off the street and ended up being fantastic for us that season.