Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Managers

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Daily Dose - Yes, it all seems rather odd doesn't it as reading this Sports Shots interview with Jamie Roberts from last month, prior to the fixture at Totternhoe, there is no mention whatsoever of Andy Hockley and you wouldn't have thought there was a joint Management arrangement in place at all at Icknield Way:

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/2020/10/16/ssmfl-div-2-preview-totternhoe-v-tring-corinthians/

Defo, and to think, quote. ‘Being spoken about as dark horses’. Very peculiar. I’m not sure Corries have been spoken about like that for many years..... As you rightly pointed out previously.

perhaps two voices instead of one, the man in charge who makes the decisions, was a testing task. I’m guessing if they didn’t always agree then one of them had to take a back seat. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if neither hung around for the entire season.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Aye, but I mean, that’s all well and good, but it’s a lie?

of course, we’ll be up there, need to start putting the ball in the net a bit more, but we’ll be there or there about come the end of the season, whenever that may be! 

Probably the one manager who’s safe, at the moment. Seasons past Leighton may have taken a look and if not top...... then chop.

i suppose the last strange appointment and sacking was Mark Eaton?

Not been anything like what had been hoped by all at Winslow. If there is a budget, there won’t be much of one this year and certainly nothing close to what they managed to get together last season. The only pressure Paul will be under will be from himself I would say, that being said it won’t take that many more bad results to find themselves totally out of contention for top four even. 

4 hours ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Sweeny, not that he should be mentioned but you never know with Leighton, they make strange decisions all of the time ?.

AlwaysLeighton - I can only assume Daily Dose was referring to Scott Reynolds leaving Bell Close at the end of the 2017/18 campaign after taking the Club to fourth in the League and to the FA Vase Quarter Finals. Why did Scott leave out of interest and go to Aylesbury as it didn't make any sense other than they were a Step 4 Club at the time however Leighton Town would have easily won the SSML under him the following 2018/19 season when Biggleswade FC won it.

Edited by Rhodes

39 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not been anything like what had been hoped by all at Winslow. If there is a budget, there won’t be much of one this year and certainly nothing close to what they managed to get together last season. The only pressure Paul will be under will be from himself I would say, that being said it won’t take that many more bad results to find themselves totally out of contention for top four even. 

How about brining through some of the younger players, a good mixture might help the situation. There seems to be an abundance of young talent. Unless they’re signed on for other clubs at senior level.

New here but thought I'd chip in.

I know quite a few of the local mangers to Aylesbury and slightly further a field.

Paul at WInslow is a one of the goods guys, definitely a tough job but feel he's the best person to change it around. lots of talented players, if only they can play as a team.

As for Tring, both managers formally of Risborough Reserves did nothing in their time there to warrant the label, 'dark horses'. It certainly seems as though any man and his dog can get managerial positions in Division Two. Apart from Ben Simms (formally of Aylesbury Utd) who have they managed to bring in to bring the club success? no one!

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - I can only assume Daily Dose was referring to Scott Reynolds leaving Bell Close at the end of the 2017/18 campaign after taking the Club to fourth in the League and to the FA Vase Quarter Finals. Why did Scott leave out of interest and go to Aylesbury as it didn't make any sense other than they were a Step 4 Club at the time however Leighton Town would have easily won the SSML under him the following 2018/19 season when Biggleswade FC won it.

Would we have easily won it? I doubt that very much. When you don’t know the ins and outs, it’s easy to make judgements like that. 

He left to take a job a level above, which ultimately showed he was out of his depth.

2 hours ago, Daily Dose said:

Probably the one manager who’s safe, at the moment. Seasons past Leighton may have taken a look and if not top...... then chop.

i suppose the last strange appointment and sacking was Mark Eaton?

I don’t think that’s the case, I don’t think there’s any secret in that we want to be challenging and want to be at Step 4, but, if results aren’t good enough maybe you’re right, but that’s football, it’s a results business. 

I would hardly say Eaton was a strange sacking? 10 defeats from 12, a humiliating defeat away at Enfield in the FA Trophy, he rightfully was given the boot. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Would we have easily won it? I doubt that very much. When you don’t know the ins and outs, it’s easy to make judgements like that

I know that you weren't a fan of Scott Reynolds for some reason, most of his team left with him didn't they and Danny Nicholls had to start from scratch, had Scott decided to stay at Bell Close with the same team why wouldn't he have won the League the next season, Biggleswade FC weren't Worldbeaters and Leighton Town got two draws with them under new joint boss's Joe Sweeney and Paul Copson and could have won both games, see reports below:

https://biggleswadefc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=221965

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/1-3739704/report

https://biggleswadefc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=148560

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/1-3656834/report

9 hours ago, Daily Dose said:

How about brining through some of the younger players, a good mixture might help the situation. There seems to be an abundance of young talent. Unless they’re signed on for other clubs at senior level.

A number of the young guys have played, a couple of them can’t play Saturdays at the moment. I have heard that Paul has moved a couple of players out too. 

8 hours ago, The Spartan said:

New here but thought I'd chip in.

I know quite a few of the local mangers to Aylesbury and slightly further a field.

Paul at WInslow is a one of the goods guys, definitely a tough job but feel he's the best person to change it around. lots of talented players, if only they can play as a team.

Agreed. 

6 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I know that you weren't a fan of Scott Reynolds for some reason

AlwaysLeighton - What was it like when Scott returned to Bell Close, like the Prodigal Son, with Aylesbury in the First Leg of the Buckingham Charity Cup Semi Final, what sort of welcome did he get as I gather there were a lot of handbags during the game itself, you won 2-1 that night but lost the Second Leg 2-0 at Haywood Way two weeks later:

https://www.aylesburyvaledynamos.co.uk/teams/77541/match-centre/0-4293928/report

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - What was it like when Scott returned to Bell Close, like the Prodigal Son, with Aylesbury in the First Leg of the Buckingham Charity Cup Semi Final, what sort of welcome did he get as I gather there were a lot of handbags during the game itself, you won 2-1 that night but lost the Second Leg 2-0 at Haywood Way two weeks later:

https://www.aylesburyvaledynamos.co.uk/teams/77541/match-centre/0-4293928/report

Funny you should say that Rhodes, considering he wasn’t Aylesbury’s manager and he left Aylesbury about 4 months before these 2 games. 

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I know that you weren't a fan of Scott Reynolds for some reason, most of his team left with him didn't they and Danny Nicholls had to start from scratch, had Scott decided to stay at Bell Close with the same team why wouldn't he have won the League the next season, Biggleswade FC weren't Worldbeaters and Leighton Town got two draws with them under new joint boss's Joe Sweeney and Paul Copson and could have won both games, see reports below:

https://biggleswadefc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=221965

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/1-3739704/report

https://biggleswadefc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=148560

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/1-3656834/report

I remember the 2 games perfectly, Biggleswade were a very, very good side that season. They’re also a very well run club. Yes, we drew 0-0 away, a backs to the wall performance. I think we had about 1 clear cut chance. 

The return fixture at Bell Close, well, we couldn’t have got more lucky to pick up a point. 

It’s not ‘some reason’, there’s reasons people aren’t aware of sometimes. 

35 minutes ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Funny you should say that Rhodes, considering he wasn’t Aylesbury’s manager and he left Aylesbury about 4 months before these 2 games. 

AlwaysLeighton - Oh, really, I thought Scott was at Haywood Way for longer than just a few months, had he have still been there in February 2019 would he have got a heroes welcome at Bell Close that night

Edited by Rhodes

51 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - Oh, really, I thought Scott was at Haywood Way for longer than just a few months, had he have still been there in February 2019 would he have got a heroes welcome at Bell Close that night

He was gone by October. 

I doubt a heroes welcome would have been that fitting.

On 10/11/2020 at 23:44, The Spartan said:

As for Tring, both manageApart from Ben Simms (formally of Aylesbury Utd) who have they managed to bring in to bring the club success? no one!

The Spartan - Welcome to the Forum and I like the monika. Did you not rate Colin Phillips then who was also at Cow Lane for a while, had he stayed at Icknield Way for longer than just the one 2015/16 season the sky would have been the limit for Tring Corinthians

Dwaine Bryan has departed Amersham Town, it's a shame but I suppose you can't argue with just one win and six defeats in the League as well as a tame 4-1 home defeat to Cogenhoe United in the FA Vase: 

SSML Division One Managers

Amersham Town - Vacant  
Ampthill Town - Lee Hawkes
Bedford - Gavin Hoyte & Ollie Thorne
Buckingham Athletic - Scott Reynolds 
Enfield Borough - Shaun Reece & Mani Asare
Hillingdon Borough - Ciprian Pintilie 
Langford - Martin Wells 
London Lions - Andrew Landesberg
London Tigers - Joe Croft
Milton Keynes Irish - Terry Shrieves 
New Salamis - Gus Gulfer  
Park View - Eric Franiku 
Rayners Lane - David Fox
Shefford Town & Campton - Kane Dougherty 
Stotfold - Luke Gregson
St Panteleimon - George Frangeskou 
Winslow United - Paul Alleyne 

On 14/11/2020 at 19:12, Rhodes said:

The Spartan - Welcome to the Forum and I like the monika. Did you not rate Colin Phillips then who was also at Cow Lane for a while, had he stayed at Icknield Way for longer than just the one 2015/16 season the sky would have been the limit for Tring Corinthians

I believe he was much better than tweedle dee and tweedle dumb currently in charge.

The Spartan - Are you involved at Icknield Way in any way, shape or form, as you will probably know Tring Corinthians were established in 1956 by Fred Evans who lived locally and they played in the Aylesbury & District League until joining Division Two of the SSML in 2005/06 where they have been ever since, never finishing above fourth. They were forced to leave briefly after eight games during the 2018/19 campaign due to lack of players, and their record was expunged, however thankfully they quickly re-grouped and returned last season under new Management. It would be nice to see the Club performing better and obviously at a higher level but that's not possible due to ground restrictions, like I said before had Colin Phillips not left Icknield Way towards the end of the 2015/16 campaign they would have possibly gone on to win Division Two the next season, Lee Groves took over but didn't stay very long before moving to Berkhamsted Raiders and Sam Sleck then took over so there has never really been any long term stability.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one bites the dust, has anyone replaced Dwaine Bryan as yet at Amersham Town:

SSML Division One Managers

Amersham Town - Vacant  
Ampthill Town - Lee Hawkes
Bedford - Gavin Hoyte & Ollie Thorne
Buckingham Athletic - Scott Reynolds 
Enfield Borough - Shaun Reece & Mani Asare
Hillingdon Borough - Vacant
Langford - Martin Wells 
London Lions - Andrew Landesberg
London Tigers - Joe Croft
Milton Keynes Irish - Terry Shrieves 
New Salamis - Gus Gulfer