Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

16 Games Review

Sir Rebel1965

But we don’t have a small squad! 23 players is not small as has been demonstrated - it is just a weak excuse which is trotted out, along with "we played really well for 20 mins in the game, but still lost" – a game is 90 mins as was found out on Tuesday when Grimsby realised that if you play for 90 mins you get more chances to score once Slough have had their good 20 mins!

However, you are correct in saying that this season we should "avoid relegation a little more comfortably than last season." - as last season there was the upheaval of the changeover in ownership and the departure of Bakes and Unders, since then there has been the stability of the new owners, the same manager, and a preseason of 11 games to bed in the new squad.

So, you are correct we should be expecting better than last season, or there may be something wrong in the model which is being used to run the club.

Ok, numbers wise we don't have a small squad but an average size squad.

You've then got to look at the strength in depth of the squad.

Of the 23 players 3 are on loan getting senior football experience and the other 2 have played minimal if any senior football.

So squad size average squad depth small.

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Ok, numbers wise we don't have a small squad but an average size squad.

You've then got to look at the strength in depth of the squad.

Of the 23 players 3 are on loan getting senior football experience and the other 2 have played minimal if any senior football.

So squad size average squad depth small.

So I go back to the question I asked in the review, what are the owners going to do to have a strong enough side to move away from the relegation zone?

Guest Wycombe Rebel

One thing you have to admit, it is not boring watching this Slough team!

I don’t think this group are far off. In my opinion, we need an experienced Step 3 GK, a combative CM and a number 9. This would probably be a stretch at the moment but hopefully the FA Cup money could be utilised on the playing side. With these 3 additions to the squad, I think we’d achieve Scotty’s pre-season target but that’s just my opinion.

Edited by Wycombe Rebel

30 minutes ago, Wycombe Rebel said:

One thing you have to admit, it is not boring watching this Slough team!

I don’t think this group are far off. In my opinion, we need an experienced Step 3 GK, a combative CM and a number 9. This would probably be a stretch at the moment but hopefully the FA Cup money could be utilised on the playing side. With these 3 additions to the squad, I think we’d achieve Scotty’s pre-season target but that’s just my opinion.

Experienced step 3 keeper to sit on the side lines waiting for his chance that may never come.

Very rarely if ever we have a goal keeper on the bench for league games.

I've advocated for a midfield general for a good few seasons but the general opinion has been that we don't need one.

Again an experienced number 9 at this level or above far too expensive.  

Last season we had 18 points from 16 matches & then 24 points from 24 matches, and despite much panic on this forum we finished on 51 points, 3 points & goal difference above the relegation zone.

If we don’t get at least 8 points from our next 8 matches then I think we will see the owners looking at squad additions, but I don’t think now is the time to start panicking.

Havant (H), Braintree (H), Farnborough (H), Aveley (A), Hampton (H & A), Taunton (H), Weymouth (A)

5 minutes ago, Curtis said:

If we don’t get at least 8 points from our next 8 matches then I think we will see the owners looking at squad additions, but I don’t think now is the time to start panicking.

8 points from 8 games? 8 points from 24 available? A point a game? That's relegation form. We might have got away with that had it not been for our horrendous start but we now need much more than that IMHO.

And seeing as we've just let Tom McElroy go it doesn't look like we're in the market for a forward, which is odd as we'll be losing Alexander and Hutchinson soon.

Guest Wycombe Rebel

Experienced step 3 keeper to sit on the side lines waiting for his chance that may never come.

I've advocated for a midfield general for a good few seasons but the general opinion has been that we don't need one.

I meant a step 2 GK that would start every game, yes I would send Rohan back to Cardiff

6 minutes ago, Wycombe Rebel said:

I meant a step 2 GK that would start every game, yes I would send Rohan back to Cardiff

Agree, got to be building our own squad, so we have control and not relying on favours.

The number of changes of players already is too many to have a stable team, and then they will build a better understanding of each other’s play - yes there will be injuries.

No the step 3 keeper would be first choice. With the amount of goals shipped the defence/goalkeeping area certainly needs looking at. Same again with our strikers and the obvious shortcomings there. 2 massive games coming up and hopefully there shouldn’t be any hangover from the cup. Another little cup run would be great plus getting league points urgently is vital.

Guest Wycombe Rebel
48 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

No the step 3 keeper would be first choice. With the amount of goals shipped the defence/goalkeeping area certainly needs looking at. Same again with our strikers and the obvious shortcomings there. 2 massive games coming up and hopefully there shouldn’t be any hangover from the cup. Another little cup run would be great plus getting league points urgently is vital.

I did correct myself and state Step 2 GK Glen but agree a Step 3 GK could make the step up, there are plenty at Step 3 with Step 2 experience.

Should’ve kept Rhys Foster, playing brilliantly at Enfield.

Dan Lincoln is also available.

Edited by Wycombe Rebel

Guest Wycombe Rebel
29 minutes ago, Windsor Rebel said:

Sir Rebel 1965 is spot on in his assessment. Reading Rebel stated in a previous post that

our defence was "rock solid".  Really? It is blatantly obvious to me that some of the posters

on this forum have either never played the game or have a very limited knowledge of the game.

You have taken that comment re: rock solid completely out of context.

17 minutes ago, Wycombe Rebel said:

I did correct myself and state Step 2 GK Glen but agree a Step 3 GK could make the step up, there are plenty at Step 3 with Step 2 experience.

Should’ve kept Rhys Foster, playing brilliantly at Enfield.

Dan Lincoln is also available.

Yeah I didn’t see that until after I had posted. But I think an experienced step 2 goalie will be too costly or currently on contract. Possibly in the summer we could attract one. Concerned how many will be fit for Saturday/Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Windsor Rebel said:

Sir Rebel 1965 is spot on in his assessment. Reading Rebel stated in a previous post that

our defence was "rock solid".  Really? It is blatantly obvious to me that some of the posters

on this forum have either never played the game or have a very limited knowledge of the game.

I think when I made that comment we'd had 4 or 5 clean sheets and were looking solid.

I don't think you need to have played the game or played to a high level to understand the game.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned 'midfield general'. I think Munashe Sundire fits that description.

Looking at the comments of concern about our league position, I propose the next review is in 7 league games time which will be 23 games (mid-point in the season) and weather permitting will be just into the new year.

I think the league position after 23 games needs to be around 16th or 17th and a least 6 points clear of the team in 21st place.

Anything less than this will mean the team has not progressed and will still be at risk of relegation.

The next two league games need to produce a bare minimum of 4 points or the task will be extremally hard.