Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Can Fleet really challenge??

Some fans not aware of your resurgence going back to last Xmas might think that your start is no more than a flash in the pan, but as a Barnet supporter having done a bit of homework, the rest of the Conference should sit up and take note.

Here are the stats:

- Fleet are unbeaten in 18 league games (going back to last season), winning 10 and drawing 8 of them, and scoring 45 goals.

- Since losing 3-0 to Burton on Dec 13 Fleet have gone 13 away games undefeated, including draws at recently promoted Chester and Shrewsbury and a win at Exeter, scoring 30 goals.

- After drawing 2-2 at home to Woking subsequent to the Burton defeat, Gravesend had only won 4 of their first 23 league matches. Since then, out of 25 games, they have won 14, drawn 9 and lost only 2, scoring 58 goals.

Apologies if you know all of this already but I find this amazing from a side that only a year was nailed on relegation favourites and whose manager some of you lot back then were beginning to doubt.

Do you think you can realistically continue it or might not your squad have the strength in depth/financial resources to challenge??

If you can finish in the play-offs that alone should warrant Andy Ford the Conference manager of the year IMO.

In short - we believe that we can . . . . the strength in the squad showed this week, with the super sub scoring the equaliser and subsequent winner!

It will be a hard slog (and to be honest i wouldnt want us to fluke promotion just yet as the crowd structure just wont be strong enough to support us) but who knows what might happen!!! Those people that took the original odds of 60/70 - 1 may be in the money!!

Simon two points you missed is that in those 26 games since the Burton game in Dec we have scored in everyone of those 26 games and are unbeaten away from Home. But it is nice that other people are starting to realise what a good team and good manager we have down here at lowly already relegated part time Fleet.

Quote:
Simon said- Since losing 3-0 to Burton on Dec 13 Fleet have gone 13 away games undefeated, including draws at recently promoted Chester and Shrewsbury and a win at Exeter, scoring 30 goals.

Quote:
James said:

Simon two points you missed is that in those 26 games since the Burton game in Dec we have scored in everyone of those 26 games and are unbeaten away from Home.

Sorry James I couldn't resist wink.gif

I can hardly believe the start either - is it really happening? We are already some 11 points better off than last season.

As Andy Ford says we will only know how good we are after the Hereford, Barnet and Dagenham matches but on the evidence of the York City and Stevange games we know we have a VERY good team.

The year we got promoted from the Ryman's Premier no 1 expected us to challenge - maybe history is about to repeat itself?

Once again, maybe the Andy Ford Revolution on the pitch is happening faster then the Fleet development off the pitch (And that's not meant as a critism).

- Where are the road signs to the Ground? With away teams bringing

4/5/600 fans to games if the Fleet continue to do well they need

to be told how to get to the ground. The signs might also be of use

to some of the locals!

- The Website needs sorting yesterday - you need to capture and

retain the interest of new fans. The lack of information at present

means even regular fans can't be bothered to bookmark it.

- Can the Football Club support a team of 16 full-time professionals

on crowds of less than 2000 - should the impossible happen and

promotion is gained?

The Chief Exec's Programme notes on Saturday described increasing

crowds to the 2000 mark as a medium term aim. Given the start

made by the team this ought to be top priority.

Anything less than 2000 for the Hereford game will be hugely

disappointing. The Club needs to find ways to attract more people

through the gate.

If the Club can't get 2000 "paying" customers in then try "Kids go

Free" as per last season or give tickets away to the schools.

Quote:
JimGNFC said:
Can the Football Club support a team of 16 full-time professionals on crowds of less than 2000 - should the impossible happen and promotion is gained?

I suspect the longer this current run continues / the longer the club is challenging at the top, the bigger the attendances will get - as happened when we won the Ryman.

The same could be said if the club did gain promotion - another hefty increase in attendances?

Of course, this is all pie in the sky talk - at the moment.

Pie in the sky maybe but lets be prepared.

The website saga is a joke I would imagine that most new followers would look at the offical web site rather than this one and what impression do they get a stupid bloody robot.

Kids for a quid is another excellent idea once people can see that you can bring children and there is no hassle or very little they will return.

Our fan base is getting stronger but we must not let it slip back to those dark days of 400-500 was considered a good attendance

As a fleet fan (home and away) living on the north kent coast may I make a suggestion,

1. Introduce a non fee membership to give you some idea where your fans come from.

2. Use this information to market the club in other areas of kent, i.e voucher entitling entry for £8.00 and a child £1.00,this being a one off promo.

3. Get more editorial in outlying areas i.e Folkestone, Margate, Maidstone, Ashford.

Quote:
the red 1 said:
As a fleet fan (home and away) living on the north kent coast may I make a suggestion,

1. Introduce a non fee membership to give you some idea where your fans come from.

2. Use this information to market the club in other areas of kent, i.e voucher entitling entry for £8.00 and a child £1.00,this being a one off promo.

3. Get more editorial in outlying areas i.e Folkestone, Margate, Maidstone, Ashford.

4. Maybe the club could have a website?