Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Kick off time

extaffyjim

The decision to make this a 12.30 k.o has to be questioned now. What was wrong with 3pm? Im sure a few more hours of sun would have helped, and a few extra pints in the bar. Thanks to Gaz who informed me it was off when id only walked half way there. Would have been pi$$ed off to walk 40 minutes and then turn back again.

Anyone any idea when it will be played instead? Such a shame, was really looking forward to it, but cant be helped i spose. Oh well, bring on Leyton

3pm would of been too late, the pitch would begin to freeze over again. 12.30pm was the best time to play it, the suns at its warmest and even then its not that warm. Remember its December not May. I went out at 4pm and it was freezing. Wish I was back in South Africa, although we're not doing too well either.

Quote:
Agree with cardiffbtfc that 3 would have been better. 3 wouldn't be too late as the pitch would freeze over again later in the evening. 4 out of 7 ryman premier matches starting at 3 went ahead, so 3 would have been better chance of play, although I don't know the state of the pitch.

Andy and Cardiff, how the devil can you argue the point when, as you both suggest, you were not at the ground when the decision was made and therefore "don't know the state of the pitch" (quote from Andy).

The state of the pitch was that it was rock hard through the middle of the pitch, even where the sun had got to it!!! And speaking to Goth, he mentioned that the players would've prefered to play Chelmsford on another day as the pitch would've made the game a lottery and as Chelmsford are a battling side, could've even things up. Although, I dare say, if we'd played and lost, the both of you would've criticized the club for agreeing to have the game gone on (not that it was the clubs decision).

We're all disapointed the game didn't go on but in light of the conditions are reasonable about it.

This must be the final comment from the Chelmsford forum ....

"Re: Why did Billericay go for a 12:30 kick off?

Re. the suggestion that the pitch would have been playable at 2pm. Japan Claret and I stood in the "Blunts" goal mouth at precisely 2pm and the grassy, muddy, watery surface was totally frozen over almost up to the edge of the goal area and extending across the whole width of the pitch. According to the BBC, maximum, temperature yesterday was 2. The game could not have been played yesterday REGARDLESS of the advertised kick off time...."

Walking to the ground, it was clear that areas not exposed to the sun were still frosty.

Interesting point about kick-off times folks. We discussed it at length in carrot country and decided for 3pm on the basis that the pitch would be at its best at that time, giving us the best chance of getting game on. Like you we had one end covered from the sun by a stand that left us with, first, the 18-yard box at about 12 noon and, later, the six-yard box frozen.

Fortunately, we've still got plenty of grass on our pitch (even in the goalmouths) as we've no reserves and the wear on the pitch has been minimal.

Looking back, our biggest challenge on Monday in getting the game on was the opposition - they really didn't fancy it - two suspended and three out injured apparently. John Pollard got so fed up with the cold that he clumped our Mark Graham on 70 minutes and volunteered for an early bath!

Pleased with the gate too (yep, both Heybridge fans were there) and we must have had fifty or so from the postponed games at your place and at Halstead (I understand that Sudbury couldn't get a team up).

Enough of all this. Roll on New Year's Day. We've got a 'local' derby in Tonbridge, while you lot visit the Hare & Hounds. Enjoy the new Clubhouse (TC - have a look upstairs - quite impressive) but give the t-bar a very wide berth (unless you enjoy the company of Uncle Ralph and brother Huey!).