Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

An APRIL 2006 Tribute - Make a date

Cookie

Launch of the SYKO CHALLENGE (Mike Green 26.12.05)

When you watch the amount of games that I do during a season, both as a fan and as a “reporter”, you meet an awful lot of nice people as well as getting involved in clubs various battles. The year 2005 has been slightly different purely and simply because its been so depressing. The first half of the playing year saw nearly all Kent sides struggle, and ultimately saw four of them relegated. Fortunately as we get ready to go into 2006, on the field at least the county’s sides are in a great deal better position than even the most optimistic of supporter would have thought possible in August.

Off it however, we are collectively a good worse off after three tragic and untimely death’s during the year rocked the Kent football family! Just in the past month Doug Gillard, the Southern League Chairman, and former Ashford chairman passed away. Back in the early part of the year, the well liked and well loved Alan Lancaster sadly passed away. The former Ashford secretary was so respected that I know of at least one fellow secretary in the County who often spoke to Alan for advice.

Perhaps though the saddest of all our losses occurred on the field of play on Tuesday April 12th at Cheriton Road, when Paul Sykes suddenly died whilst playing for Folkestone against Margate (one of his former clubs, and ironically the club where he made his name). The out pouring of grief resulted in the KCFA deeming that last season’s final would be held in Paul’s memory. The only “problem” with that was that only the players on duty in the Final were able to pay their respects to one of their own.

Looking around Cheriton Road that day, there were so many players of sides not involved in the match in attendance that an idea was born which will finally come to fruition at the end of April 2006. Players that had played with and against Syko, expressed an interest in showing their own appreciation of an old friend. And what better way to do that than on a football field!

And so THE SYKO CHALLENGE was “born” and it is TODAY that I’m pleased to announce that the game will be played on SUNDAY APRIL 30TH 2006 at HARTSDOWN PARK in Margate. The game will effectively be an “All Star” game, as the teams will be selected from a pool of players, one “coached” by CHRIS KINNEAR the current Margate boss, and the other by CLIVE WALKER the current Dover Athletic manager. There are plans for many other “events” including a prize draw on the day as well as an on line auction that will end with the final whistle of the game. And there will be surprises too…

The task of contacting players to play in the game is already underway and we hope that by the end of February we will be able to name “preliminary squads”.

All proceeds from the game will go to the Sykes family, and Paul’s widow Carly will be guest of honour on the day. Indeed at the launch on Boxing Day at Hartsdown Park (for the Ryman Premier League game between Margate and Folkestone), their young son Thomas was the mascot – decked out in a Margate kit and Folkestone hat and scarf.

Already the Kent County Football Association have donated all the balls to be used on the day, and the Folkestone Invicta FC Supporters Club have offered to supply the draw tickets that will be sold in advance and on the day!

There will be a lot of people giving up their time free of charge to remember “just” a footballer who always wore his heart on his sleeve; a really nice guy, but most of all a young husband and father…

Cookie, I'm helping Mike Green with the arrangements for the Syko Challenge and can say that MFC were asked about Hartsdown's availability as it is here that Syko made his name. The club have been really accomodating and many of the usual match day volunteers hacve already pledged their support to the day. We don't think we'll have any problems with Hartsdown.

More news will follow via the official Margate club web-site as well as via the other clubs that Paul played for across the county.

I think it will be a special day.

Wellsie.I was only mentioning the capacity because I would expect to see a large contingent turn up for this game.I remember when we had 1,200 here & the place was heaving then. Hardly a inch to spare for anyone to move in. Just look at today even & see how crammped it was at the club end & that was for only 900.I have always wondered just how our capacity of 2000 would have an affect.I am not by any means having a pop or being ungrateful if thats what you were thinking. Its great that the club can offer our place. I understand why our ground is being used and the reasons behind it.My concerns were only for the problems we could face SHOULD a full house occur. If those who decided to use Hartsdown for this day feel its going to be safe enough with the expected numbers then thats fine.I wasnt having a go at anyone or anything just expressing my concerns with the anticipated numbers in such a small ground thats all.I too think that its a brilliant idea to have another tribute to a major player such as SYKO.I was one of his biggest fans amongst so many.

Cookie,

First off apologies for not replying to your comments on Boxing Day after your initial post. If I'm truthful, where you ask "Is our ground going to big enough?... Its going to be a squeeze at our place,assuming a massive turnout that is." the problem that you have when organising a game such as this from the drawing board in deepest darkest winter is knowing exactly what sort of gate to "expect"! Obviously we're all hoping for a "huge" gate but being realistic, if we top a crowd of 500 on the day I personally (at this time) will be delighted. I'll probably now get accused of being pessimistic - and "hopefully" rightly so. If you dont expect too much you wont be disappointed! The bottom line is that whoever turns up will be there to salute (as we said in the official launch announcement) and "remember “just” a footballer who always wore his heart on his sleeve; a really nice guy, but most of all a young husband and father…"

As Wellsie has had the main reason that we approached Margate was that as I've found going around the county as I do, when mentioning Paul's name the "majority" of people instantly associate his name with Margate... hence the official approach to Hartsdown Park. But there were other clubs who also offered their services, and I'd like to thank the officials at both Longmead (Tonbridge) and Homelands (Ashford) who offered the use of their respective facilities when the idea of a Tribute/Testimonial was muted at the time of the Kent Senior Cup Final...

Just to wet your appetite some of the positive responses we've already received with regards to playing include Lee Turner, Martin Buglione, Iain O'Connell and Jay Saunders to name just four, whilst Welling boss Adrian Pennock and Sittingbourne boss Steve Lovell have both indicated to me that they would both love to play some part in the game.

Obviously there's still some time to go and now the event has been formerly announced now is the time when the hard work and the planning actually starts... and to that end can I ask everyone to keep an eye on the clubs website as in the next few weeks, I'm hoping to be in a position to publish details of an e mail address where anyone who wishes to help can "register". The main financial concern at the moment is that we get as much sponsored as possible so that all the proceeds generated on the day will go to Carly and Thomas.

To that end initial thanks to the Kent County Football Association (who have agreed to supply the balls used); to the Folkestone Supporters Club (for supplying all the draw / 50:50 tickets) and to the Margate Stewards who have offered their time... As I said an initial thanks to all of you - somehow I dont think it'll be the last time I'll be thanking you for your support!

But at the risk of sounding like a certain Irish Sir who (I believe) lives in our fair county we will still need a heck of a lot of support to "pull this off"... So please if (before we can set the e mail up) you would like to get in touch with us, please do so through this message board - I'm told that it's easy to send messages though I've never actually tried it myself! Alternatively post your questions and between us Wellsie and I will try and answer them...

Agree entirely.Its also an honour to have it played at our place.Hope I wasnt misunderstood in my original post.With the right advertising and promotion of such a day I am sure that 2000 limit COULD be achieved,hence my original point about the ground.I agree that 500 would be a more realistic figure but I do feel that the attendance could be much more and there again my questioning of the tightness of the ground comes into play,bearing in mind we only have three sides available. Still it wont be a troublesome day so even then maybe people will put up with it just for the day, should that occur.Anything we can do to promote it more apart from the obvious word of mouth I am sure we could help out somewhere. My services in particular are at your disposal.

p.s.Mike,the teamsheets for the day are looking great!

I think that there will definitely be more then 500 as if you look back at the KSC final there was about 2000 there and to be honest i think the majority of the fans went to pay there respects for a great player and a great man. The majority of the fans will be Margate fans where i think there will be about 400 MFC fans plus about 300 DAFC fans, 200 FIFC fans plus probably about 150 between the Tonbridge and Dartford fans so you are looking about 1200 at the most if you take into acount the floaters of non-league football fans.

The night, last april, in folkstone will remain with me, as i am sure it will with you, for the rest of my life.It is incomprehensible how a fit young man in the prime of his life,with every thing to live for could be struck down in such a manner.I for one am looking forward to the game,hopefully again seeing some of the legends and paying my last respects.

Changing the subject slightly,We should i believe have another big match to look forward to at the end of the season. I believe Billy Edwards is organising his Testimonial for around that time. premiership opposition as been mentioned.Respecting the sad circumstances of the Syko challenge the end of the season should hopefully be a feast for football supporters.I am sure Billies game would have been one that Paul Sykes would have played in.

I do hope Billy has a testimonial as fully deserved! I for one will be at both games, one to pay my respects to Paul and the other to celebrate Billys great career with Margate

Trememdous idea Mike. Chuffed that it will be played at Hartsdown and hope that our support will do such an occasion justice. No doubt by the response so far that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully supporters from all over the county will attend as no doubt the occasion will merit attendance from many football followers. Looking forward to it already.