Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

In this weeks Isle of Thanet Gazette

I am Spartacus

Mind you I note in the same article it states that Lawrence Yiga is back from his 7 match ban. However, on checking the FA's website it states that his ban is till 7th December. I think someone should check to see who is right on who is wrong.

good stuff.

always thought charalambous was good enough. hopefully he'll get the chance to play in the position he was meant to play in this time round, but we'll see I guess.

Cant see who will be dropped. I think everyone who played against redbridge needs the chance to put it well and truly behind them.

shame we can't find positions for oates and osman in the team

Sorry to be negative again(enforced) but I fail to see how this is improving things. Nice guy,works hard but lacks the talents & skills that we need in midfield. However never let it be said that I dont give players a second chance. Maybe he has improved enough(though I believe he didnt do much at Sutton did he) to have added to his good workrate.At least I know his attitude will be spot on.I can never put him down on that score.Mixed feelings about this.We shall see!

Would be nice to hear it on website first but, as Mr Piper told us at an open meeting, not always possible as only one person in office so not always time to keep up to date. At least some more news on another thread now

I think the club are doing a good job now in keeping the fans informed, certainly as regards the team. There is a lot of stuff now on the website, and once again the manager has given a long interview to the IOTG.

When you add that the Jeff's excellent history site, we must be some of the best-informed fans in non-league.

Apart from results, this has to be one of the best ways of getting people through the turnstiles.

I agree the website has greatly improved but what I am saying is should the club not be using this medium more (after all it could be income generating with adverts etc).

If as Taffy says the club only has 1 person in the office I am sure that there would be plenty of willing volunteers to write up the website on a regular basis (by this I do mean at least daily). After all the IOTG must have been given there copy by at least Thursday afternoon so it could have been on the website that night.

This is not meant to be a criticism of the club but hopefully a way of moving forward and improving the way the club is seen externally.

DESPERATE FOR GLORY

Report by Craig Tucker

Isle of Thanet Gazette 06/01/06

Chris Kinnear has revealed he could have walked away from Margate after just six months in charge.

The Gate boss celebrates 10 years at the helm in 2006, but things could have been very different.

He said: ‘I remember meeting Keith Piper and Cliff Egan when the Margate job was mentioned and I was told we’d have a new ground in six months.

‘They said to sign up and I could walk away if the ground wasn’t on the way.

‘People thought I was round the twist but I believed it would happen and I still do’

So while nobody is happy with the lowly position in the Ryman Premier, Kinnear knows he will make Margate successful again.

He tried to take a break last week but ended up back on the phone talking football. Not that he’d have it any other way.

He said: ‘I don’t want to switch off. I get frustrated and think ‘God, why not just get a team closer to London’.

‘But then I think ‘Hold on, you’ve had eight years of unbelievable success and I’m damned if I’m going to walk away from it all’.

‘Ten years ago we were a little club with a run-down old bar, we had toilets and a bath in the middle of a damp changing room and were watched by 100-odd on a pitch with a massive slope.

‘We’ve had a blip, but so have Manchester United and Arsenal, and they’ll be back.

‘It makes me even more determined because I’m desperate to see Margate do well.

‘That’s where I’m different to other managers, but perhaps that’s why I’ve been to successful down the years’

Kinnear stressed this year was about rebuilding the club.

He recalled a radio show on Tuesday night which said Arsenal and Manchester United weren’t the same without Patrick Viera and Roy Keane respectively.

‘That’s one player, we lost 15 or 16, so nobody can expect instant success. It doesn’t work like that,’ said Kinnear.

‘It took us three years to build a side and 18 months to destroy one.

‘I’ve probably been more successful than any other manager in non-league football, so I know how hard it is.

‘It’s when you start feeling sorry for yourselves that you end up like all those other clubs who dwindle and disappear.

‘We’re rebuilding, whether people like it or not.’

Kinnear was as fed up as anyone after Monday’s defeat at basement boys Redbridge.

But he believes the players have done as well as can be expected this season.

Finding a goalscorer remains a problem, while the club’s insistence on doing things properly has also cost them.

Kinnear said: ‘When we pay people we do it the legitimate way, with tax.

‘A lot of other clubs don’t do things properly and I’m talking about nobody in particular.

‘You offer less money through the proper channels or you have to offer more to get them’

But there have been success stories with players like Bertie Brayley and James Donovan making a good impression on the manager.

He said: ‘We’ve got the nucleus of a good side and we’ve got the better ones signed up for next season.

‘There’s four or five decent players and we’ve got to try to get that up to 11.

‘The players are quite confident still and are doing as well as they can.

‘That’s not good enough for us at the moment but we’ll keep going’

It’s never been Kinnear’s policy to criticise players in public and he hopes Margate’s supporters will get behind their bid to climb up the table.

He said: ‘Take the forwards. Adolf Amoako could have had a hat-trick at Redbridge, then his confidence would really be up.

‘It achieves nothing to say ‘You’re crap, that’s not good enough’.

‘In sport you need a clear head and that’s why I say what I say in the dressing room and keep it there.

‘The players’ confidence doesn’t need to be demolished any more than that.’

i believe what hes said has put everything in perspective,you just cant loose that amount of players,bring in new players of the required standard,try new players,bring quality players already here up to the level required,and try to push up the league all at the same time,he will get it right and margate will again be a force,his record compares with anyone in non league,trust his judgement,it will prove right in the end

Look, not many people are disagreeing with him. What a lot of people want to see is SOME kind of improvement.Forget the result as that isnt the main issue.The main frustrations are poor performances on a regular basis.I am sure that if the play improved regardless of the result then many would be more happy with things than they are now.Of course you cant replace those players say in a week or a month and have them giving good performances week in week out but after 5 months or so there should be some kind of improvement coming about but all that seems to be seen is the opposite. Charalambous,if I remember rightly was RELEASED by CK yet in his statement he says he was one player he had been after for a while. Alex hasnt had much football since his departure therefore I fail to see where this move can bring about an improvement.If he wasnt in his plans before when he turned out for us then I fail to see where he could now. Things like this DO get some supporters thinking "what on earth is going on"?.

The one good thing was signing Bertie Brayley but unless he starts to find players NEAR his standard playing alongside then even Berties talents are going to be wasted.

Get good performances from the players we have & I for one will be happier about things then, win or lose, and I am sure others out there would feel the same.

Of course he will get it right EVENTUALLY but in the meantime poor performances,not nessasarily poor results,at HOME,in front of the home fans especially,are going to keep people away from games and this is a most important issue that we should not underestimate. Without the income from those people these better standard players will not be affordable.

I think really I would like to see a bit more effort and heart from the players. The performances will be difficult sometimes with a new squad of players and we will have to graft 1-0 wins here and there in some games but if we could see the signs for ourselves that a player went in for that 50/50 or that header then I would feel a lot happier.

"Quote" "It achieves nothing to say "your'e crap,thats not good enough"

So why is it that he himself says

"Quote" "The players are quite confident still & are doing as well as they can do.THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for us at the moment but we'll keep going"

Its alright for him to say it but for us to its wrong.All we are doing is actually agreeing with you.Its isnt good enough at the moment.

Yes,WE will keep going too Chris,to watch each game,when we can, and try and contribute to supporting the club both in spirit and financially (gate receipts).This as we know, will,in turn, hopefully get the higher standard players because of OUR commitment to the club despite failures on the pitch.Its those that aren't so committed that we should be targeting. Those that will not come to games because of lack-lustre performances.

We NEED them to come along and to contribute.The quicker we get them back the quicker we get the right players.Theres only one way to get THOSE kind of people back."Play better, even with those what you have"!

I guess football is a game of opinions but i can't help being flabbergasted by the Charambolous re-signing.

Not good enough last season for the Gate,not good enough at Crawley or sutton and now 'most wanted' when we already have 6 good midfield players for 3 starting places.

I so so want to be wrong on this one and think CK has taken a real gamble here for both Alex and himself.

I just hope they get it right together