Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tony Kempster's Forum SSML Content - Your Views

Potters Bar Town - You always seem to agree with Lato. I did not actually say that I thought Maradonna's goal was the best ever or give any opinion on it, I just compared it to a number of Takumi's goals in similarity. As it happens I agree that Maradonna's effort against Belgium was better where he also played out of his skin that day winning the game single handed, Belgium didn't know what day it was.

Granted Rhodes you didn't actually say the 'goal' v England was the best of all time, just supposition on my part. I guess because the British media condition us into thinking its a fantastic goal.

To be honest I think Maradona won that World Cup single handed but I still think in the overall scheme of things Pele is a greater player of the two. Though of course Cruyff gets my vote for the greatest of all time

I see on the another Forum that there are one or two people moaning about the new SSML Website and it not being kept up to date, there's just no pleasing some people as I find the site really helpful:

1. I question why they've started a website that clearly isn't going to be updated, the only bulletin is from July and the links send you to last sesaon's league tables and results from August 2005. There's probably more, but I lost interest, bit like the person responsible for updating it I guess.

2. In reply to hersey, the SSML website does have a website coordinator so should be updated on a regular basis. The results & fixtures at present

link to the Mitoo site and go directly into this season. Just ensure that the correct season is entered on the Mitoo site. It's early days for the SSML site but hopefully things will improve as the season progresses.

3. Before anyone thinks I'm a total numpty, the mitoo links have been corrected since this morning. Three's still no August belletin and the latest league news is from August 19. I know the site is new, but the whole point of a website is that it's supposed to be up to date.

Some more exchanges about the SSML on the another site, sounds like they could be from Hertford Town fans who were at Tring last Saturday:

1. How are you finding the football in your new league. I have watched a lot of football in the Spartan league over tha last couple of seasons and have enjoyed the football, the people and the grounds, a paticular favourite has been Tring. They do have a very odd stand. It is good to see the Spartan SML now has its own website, hopefully people will give it chance to mature. The mitto site for results is fine, I think some people may not have changed the season when looking for fixtures. I made that mistake last season.

2. It's interesting going to different grounds and meeting new people. The results at the moment are very strange - 4 lots of 7 goals for teams on Saturday - including us I'm sure it will settle down soon. We were at Tring on Saturday - it looked better than when I was last there (when we played against Tring Town). The new clubhouse is very impressive and I liked the stand! I will now get to visit V&E as well, a ground I must have passed 100 times but never been in.

The only annoying thing is the monthly fixtures.

Another anorak style post on another's Forum about restructuring and touching on the SSML, the guy even attached some maps he had done himself of invasion of Bhagdad proportions, I'm sure these people don't get out much:

Currently we have a situation where:

- the Rymans League are happy with their lot.

- the South West clubs are not happy with the extent of travel facing them at Step 4 (ie. many trips to London per season).

- Midland Step4 clubs are happy to be in a league together but do not want to be part of the NPL at Step3.

- The Northern clubs are not happy with a Step 4 footprint that stretches from Tyneside to Telford and are not much happier with the prospect of including the West Mids in their territory at Step3.

- The ANL clubs in particular are not happy with the potential distances their clubs would face moving up the ladder.

- The Conference North/South split continues to drift southwards due to the uneven number of clubs currently promoted above and below the divide.

So, how about the following to address pretty much all of these issues:

Extend the idea of a Midlands Step 4 league to also have a Midlands Step 3 league, which would give the clubs in the northern half of the country the second step 4 they require, keeping the Midlands clubs together, yet without the North and Mids strands needing to meet until Step 2. The Ryman league would be largely unaffected, while the Southern would keep three divisions, but would have a smaller footprint which would reduce the travel distances at Step 4 and Step 3. Also by keeping the Midland and Northern strands separate until Step 2, it means that the southern border of the midland league can be set further south, in line with the current Step 2 split, to include the Northants clubs.

The basic outline would be that the Northern strand would consist of one Step 3 and one Step 4, both set north of a line under Manchester & Sheffield.

The Midlands strand would also have one Step 3 and one Step 4, from below that line down to a border based from the M50/M5 junction in the west, then along the county borders between Worcs/Gloucs, Warks/Oxon, Northants/Beds then up to the Wash.

The Rymans strand would be much as it is at present, with one Step 3 and two Step 4s, split north and south.

The Southern strand would then take the remainder of the country with one Step 3 and two Step 4s. These two would be split on an East/West basis, with the current Hellenic, Western and Wessex league forming the West and the other being forming a block down the west side of London.

I have attached a couple of maps which show how these would pan out at steps 3 & 4 (plus the SL/RL split around the west of london).

Each Step 4 would have 2 dedicated Step 5s, except South West which would keep the current 3. This would then mean the pyramid is balanced in terms of promotions and relegations, without the need for regular sideways movement between leagues.

At Step 5 the key changes would be i) the northern NCE clubs split between NWC and ANL, with the southern ones joining the northern UC clubs and a few MALL in a new East Midlands league and ii) SSM & CC both split with half remaining in Ryman territory to form two leagues each side of the river and the other halves joining the remaining UC clubs to make up the two leagues of the Southern Central strand.

Step 6 would fall into line below Step 5 with 1 or 2 leagues in each, with the main move being Hellenic 1 East moving en masse into the Southern Central (the area it already covers).

The structure would therefore be:

Conf – Conf N – NPL – NP1 – ANL + NWC

Conf – Conf N – MPL – MP1 – MALL + NCE/UC

Conf – Conf S – SPL – SLW – HELL + WL + WX

Conf – Conf S – SPL – SLC – UC/SSM + SSM/CC

Conf – Conf S – RPL – RLN – EC + EX/SSM

Conf – Conf S – RPL – RLS – CC/KL + SX

HFCew - Well that's a little unfair, I'm just being helpful and saving you the trouble as well as a fortune in matchsticks.

Folks - This enquiry might be one for the anoraks amongst us such as the Lato's, Potters Bar Town's or someone from Hertford such as Horace, if anyone can help the guy out I'm sure he'll be grateful although no doubt it will be more ammunition for Gavin to throw at me:

The following are currently playing (if at all), or have been in the last three or four seasons.

I'm involved in the youth development setup at Oxford United and am trying to trace some of our former scholars who seem to have disappeared under the radar, so wondered whether anyone on here has come across the following recently.

Rob Cruise - was at Cinderford at some point

Rob Folland - was in Wales - stopped for a while through ill health - has he come back.

Jon Shepherd - centre back released 2001

Ross Weatherstone - centre back who went to Boston but I've got nothing since leaving Stevengage in 2004

Simon Cox - goalkeeper released last summer

Brynmor Jones -

Brynley Spence -

Andrew Rose -

Anthony Wright - went back to Wales in 99, nothing since then

Simon Marsh - released from Birmingham in 01, nothing since

Angus Mackay - defender released last year

Paul Burton - midfield released last year

Jon Muttock - released 92 -

Tristan Didcock - released 94 -

Quentin Townsend - (not OUFC but interested anyway) -

I know the latter three have played since then in non-league but not sure where.

Any info on any of the above or anyone else that you know went through the Oxford system that has been at your club recently then please let me know.

Many thanks

Jon Moore - U's Youth

HTFCew - Okay that suits me fine, it will save me a fortune in matchsticks as I've said before as I'm not a fan of the another site.

Potters Bar Town - No not at all, I usually only go on it to see if there are any SSML related posts to cut and paste on here however now I have had my wrist firmly slapped by HTFCew I don't need to bother, she has done me a real favour infact although I have to say that I am at a loss as to why she feels so strongly about it, it's hardly crime of the century.

Horace - I am still at a loss as to why HTFCew feels so strongly about it, surely I'm doing you all a favour, providing a service if you like.

The convention for directing someone to information on the net is to place a link to it, not cut and paste it. You are placing posts on the forum which are too lengthy, and in many cases, they are copyright of the site you cut them from!

• 2 weeks later...

Folks - As I don't want to get my bottom spanked

by HTFCew, although I would be so lucky, I attach a link to the another Forum and some anorakish exchanges on grounds on the London Underground system:

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?p...ed;guest=347616