Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Margate u18's

blueblood

i understand from my son that the under 18's now have joint managers in Tom Hickman & Phil Fennell. Apparently due to unforeseen circumstances Tom cannot be available for every game and as Phil has been in charge for the last 3 games its been decided they will become joint managers. Maybe this combination will work as over the last few games the boys have had some outstanding results. Mainly the win against top team Maidstone on tuesday night.

Good luck to both of you...keep up the good work.

Phil certainly looked to be in charge the other night though Tom was there for a while. Is a very nice chap too when you speak to him, well pleased with the young lads performance.

Agree there, tho it does seem a little uncertain at present. The team have come together well, there are no prima donnas and have a good balance.

Be a shame to rock the boat at this point either on the pitch or elsewhere.

Interesting that we have the second best goal strike rate, 2.7 per game with some of the lower sides now to play Margate could catch Sheppey`s 3.3 per game. Margate now have 11 scorers(if we include Olti`s pens) perhaps we should get the keepers to take a penalty some time.

Todays game, we arrived at Whitstable FC to be told that those who have the say did not want the pitch used as their first team had a Tuesday night game. Even their under 18s were not told, lets hope Margate are given the points. Next game away to Maidstone who, I would imagin, want to make up for their down fallen senior squad, was that sud really only 18?

Up the Gate.

Saw the last 20 minutes of Margates game down at Dane Park (under 16s I think - dont know who the opposition was). Good stuff from Margate at the end though the two goals we conceded looked a bit soft. The second goal was poor defending and we didnt put up much of a fight and the opposition just cut through the defence. The first was a shot which caught the keeper off guard who was probably expecting a cross rather than a shot.

Annoying number of offsides and close calls. Margate could have scored 3 times while I was there instead of just the once which was a good piece of teamwork cutting down the right wing, then taking the keeper on who didnt have a chance. When Margate used the space available they worked much better. The refereeing was much better than in previous games.

Anyone else there who can give more details? As I said, I was only there for the last 20-30 minutes.

Whilst killing the half time break of the GB v Kiwi`s RL game I took a look at the Ramsgate Web site and had a read of their u18s match reports, seems they only report on wins. I can well understand their OTT enjoyment of their win over us, photo`s and all,I do hope that come December 10th we will be able to do the same. I guess that in the end it`s the league table that will count. Com on the Blues and good luck this weekend. Don`t forget U18s are at home Tueday 31st 7.45 v Herne Bay 2nd round of the Ullman Cup.

Away to Maidstone last Sunday at Headcorn, if you`ve been there you will know what I mean when I say the pitch was a mess. Margate tried to play their usual passing game, take players on and run with the ball but with little sucess. On the other had Maidstone used the pitch to play long balls for their forwards to chase down. Margate had almost no scoring oppertunaties, Maidstone made a couple. Well in to the half some quick passing from Maids left Matts goal exposed for the lead and the half ended 1-0. In the second Margate rallied and pushed Maidstone but luck, the pitch and a firm defence were against them. A moment of hope came and went when the Gate were awarded a pen but was not converted. Several shots and fine balls across the Maids goalmouth failed to find the net and a run and shot from the usually clinical Jamie was saved. Then with 10 to go the game was put out of Margates reach when another OTT ball put their big forward in for a well taken lob, 2-0 and the game was over. The pattern is clear, until the U18s are able to cope with these pitches they are going to struggle. Games where they should have put the opposition away early on have ended in winning by a single goal. This is the first game Margate have failed to score, not because they are not good enough but because they try too hard to play football on poor pitches. Still forth though and hope springs eternal. Herne Bay Tuesday evening. Up the Gate and good luck to all.

If it is no one at the club knows anything about it, as i said in my private mail to you yesterday. Ken Tomlinson knows nothing about it either and he's the guy who deals with fixtures.

John Ullman Cup

Tonights game v Herne Bay. Seems that several of tonights games have disappeared. The winners of our game are/were due to play the winner of Canterbury v Lordswood (also vanished) away on Thurs 30th Nov and if progressing the next would/should be at home on 30th Dec.which I think is a Saturday. How sad am I that I made a note of these fixtures the other day as it seemed the U18 could end up playing 30th & 31st December.

Faversham away on Sunday.

Up the Gate.

Sunday 5th Folkestone v Margate. On an improved pitch Margate hoped for a better performance than their 1-2 Cup win back in September.

I can only give a rough outline to the game so please for give me if not 100% correct.

Starting fairly evenly it took Margate five minutes or so to get into their game pushing Fav back as the forwards put themselves about and it was from one such moment that forced Fav to make a rash back pass that sailed over the keeper for 0-1. Pushing on again Margate had control of the game and Jamie collecting the ball wide right took it through to fire a nicely angled shot for 0-2. Again Margate pressed, midfield using the open space to get forward which gave Johnny a half chance of a shot which he put away for 0-3. Here we know only too well that things can go wrong, Fav winning a free kick just out side the box sent the ball in to be headed home. Only minutes later it was 2-3 as again Margate gave way for a well struck shot. The second half saw a couple of changes and thinks started to get far more physical as Fav changed their game plan to over the top and chase. However, it was Margate who scored first when Shane came on for Jamie. As with Margates second Shane collected the ball wide and ran in sending a fine shot past the keeper, 2-4. Not finished Fav played the OTT ball for their centre forward to chase down, which he did well and the score was 3-4. Margate hit back when Olti found space and found the net, 5-3. Margate pushed, playing the ball wide Shane once more ran at the defence and once more fired a well hit shot past the keeper, surely all over, not quite. With ten to go fav played the same ball with the same result with another well taken shot. Final whistle for 4-6, really it should have been 2-6 but Margate have the vindalo song in their heads, “we`re ganna score one more than you”. Whilst that makes for an exciting game the team is not doing it`s self justice and seem to have lost it`s way in the goals against column. Having said that they once again battled and had to take some hard challenges for the win. All the goals were taken well to show that this is a skillful, footballing side. Close the door lads, their are others catching you.

Not sure about the Herne Bay game, alls gone quiet there but home v Deal Town on the 12th.

Up the Gate

Going back a bit to the Maidstone Central Cup game and the fact that the u18 play them again in the PLAAYER Cup on the 19th. Whilst waiting for the league game v Maidstone south to start the week before last I whiled away the time talking to a Maid supporter. I was told that they, Maidstone central, did not field their strongest squad that night and they will do the "business" next time we meet. Can`t wait.

Up the Gate

• 2 weeks later...

Gate u18 v Maidstone u18 Central - PLAAYA Cup.

After last weeks lack luster win Margate needed to up their game against the still hi flying Maidstone. Having lost to Margate (the only loss this season) in a battle last month Maidstone came to the coast with one intent, put the record straight. I for one expected that to happen.

In the bright sunshine the game started with the expected rush from Maids and Margate were on the back foot. However, it soon became clear that the Gate defence were up to the huge task and it was a question of how long they could hang on. Getting loads of space on the right Maidstone pressed Margate back and, as before, Margate had few opportunities to build. Slowly the game seemed to even it’s self out as Margate’s confidence grew and Maidstone’s faded. A couple of rushed chances came Margate’s way but with little return as half time came.

The second half started with Maidstone on the front foot and again Margate’s defence rose to the challenge as several corners needed to be dealt with. Settling, Margate came on again and slowly took control having a good ten minute spell, here Jamie McClean managed to get behind Maids defence for 2 chances. The concern was that chances were very few and needed to be put away. Again Margate pressed as Olti took a more forward roll and played some fine touches. Paul battled hard and made several fine defensive tackles winnig that particular battle. Also in defence, Andy, who had to come off, and Saul kept things tight and controlled with another outstanding performance from Chaz. Matt in goal had a big game, taking the ball cleanly and with confidence. Woody gave his all for little return with Johnny, Daryn and Elliot battling for everything it was only a matter of time before subs were made. However, pressing Maids defence Jamie forced a rushed clearance which came off the striker, taking his chance and just beating the keeper to the ball Jamie knocked the ball over his head for the lead. Changes saw Chris, Dan and Nick on. Margate held firm with new signing Dan ably filling in for injured Paul. Hanging on, Margate kept cool while Maids tempers raised giving Margate a run of free kicks. Now into injury time Maidstone took advantage of some tired defending, as the ball pinged in the 18 yd box a Maid foot push the ball to the goal. Maidstone cheered, Margate played on, the ref sided with the home team and waved play on. This seemed to be a big favour to the Gate. As frustration from Maidstone saw a clear chance widely hit. Into the sixth minute of added time (from where this came I have no idea) Matt collected the ball, again sent it up field for the whistle. Another Great win under non-stop pressure. Quarter Final time, either Fisher Athletic or Thamesmead.

Well played, up the Gate.