Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Margate u18's

blueblood

Meanwhile back at Hartsdown Park............

Another tall side, a couple of useful players, playing as a team and a keeper who had to be seen……East Grinstead did the job, eventually.

Slightly hyped up Margate started well enough and although EG put some good moves together it was the Gate who had the upper hand. Defending well against a clear game plan of over the top from EG and forgiving that Margate often ignored the easy pass the under 18s looked comfortable playing football. A moment of pressure from Margate saw one of the two best saves I`ve seen (both in this game) as several well struck shots pinged at the goal, the last, a left footer from Jim would have hit the net in any other game but, save 1. Now with a few half chances caming either end it was anybodies game. Gaining a free kick around 25 mins out side the box the smaller Gate side lined up. A fine driving ball from the ever solid Lewis should have been taken cleanly by keeper but a charging Jim and the moment saw a fumbled ball drop to the ground and bounce into the goal to give Margate the lead

It was all hand to the pumps as EG up`d the tempo, Margate holding on and on. Half time came to a sigh of relief.

Game 2 (2nd half) Almost from the off Margate had to defend as EG drove forwards and again other than a few moment of relief the Gate were on the back foot and it was felt that should EG equalize they would go on to win. A great moment for football came when Jim worked free, gained half a yard and struck the ball perfectly, heading to the top right and a goal! all went in slo mo as the EG keeper flew with out stretched left hand, fingertip lengthened by inches as my best save 2 appeared. Onto the bar and of course not into the path of the on-rushing Gate players. So with 20 to go and giving away far too many free kicks around the box the inevitable happened, a pen for handball. One all. Again Margate held but they could not withstand the pressure, a low drive proved too good. 1-2. With 5 to go again EG surged down the right, a high cross caught everyone out for a simple tap-in, game over.

The better team won for sure but if Margate had kept the ball on the floor instead of hoping the two strikers could compete against the much taller defence with high ball after high ball things might have been different. Margate put some good moves together but always seemed to fizzle out as the hit and hope rush of blood took over. EG kept their passing moves going to the 18yd box and that I think made the difference. Everyone battled hard and it`s a bit unfair to pick out any one but Paul again did the business as did Andrew who I think got a shot in. Elliot also worked hard and Aulty (someone tell me how to spell his name please) got stuck-in. Chris came on to add a bit extra as did Nick to midfield, a little to late tho. This is a bit of a lesson but not the end, put it behind you lads and take on Woodstock as you did last Sunday and you`re back on track. Good Luck to all.

Woodstock FC v Margate

In a game where the pitch and match balls played as much a part as the players Margate under 18s found it hard to get their usual passing game going. Pass after pass fell short or bobbled away, this was not going to be one of Margate`s greatest. Margate tried to get going with little result and it took 20 before they got the first shot of the match away.

Woodstock came back and had a few moment of their own and a trio of quick fire shots had to be dealt with by Matt in goal. Woodstock came closest to scoring when a shot skimmed the upright.

Halftime came with some words of concern from the management. This seemed to fire the Gate side from the restart and other than a few moments it was all Margate but no goal came from the few shooting chances. These shots reflected the ball as they lacked any venom and when the deadlock was broken it came from a bounce, bounce wobble lob from a battling Andy to give the Gate the win. There were a couple of good appeals from Margate for penalties which were waved away as Woodstock`s foul count rose, but as in other games the lack of height showed from the resulting kicks. This was a game to be happy for the 3 points if not the performance and look to the next, away to Erith & Belvedere 15th Oct. in the PLAAYA Cup.

Next game as posted above by DG on 15th october then ?

A bit far for me to come, but others may be interested, so does anyone know when the U18 Westview Youth Cup Home match with Maidstone is ?

I see the official Isthmian/Ryman site quotes this home tie needing to be played by 20 October

SORRY CHRIS doing you out of a goal last Sunday v Woodstock.

So not Andy but Chris who scored.

Bit of a rest this weekend, no game. Looking at the fixture list(all comps)there is no WY Cup and no match with Maidstone until 29th Oct which is a league game away.

22nd away to Whitstable, this should be a good game as Whitstable are vying for second spot. Then the 2nd round Ullman Cup, can`t remember who against but it`s on Tues 31st at home.

Tuesday 31st of October.

Margate u18's V Herne bay u18's.

7-45pm kick off at Hartsdown park.

• 2 weeks later...

Game v Maidstone John Ullman Cup Tuesday 7:45

PLAAYA Cup away to Erith & Belverdere. Poor pitch gave Margate little chance to play. 4 goals from Jamie, 1 (Pen) from Aulty and header from Saul gave the Gate a 4-6 win in a hard fought game which saw E&B play the long ball to test a depleated Margate side. Gritty play from Margate put them into the 3rd Round. Putting in a great performance Johnny shone, also the lately absent Charlie worked well with the forwards. Paul once again worked his boots off for little reward, delayed through balls saw his runs flagged O.S. Andy covered well and Aulty battled. Damian pulled off a fine penalty save and Elliots free kicks gave Margate several chances, one put away by Saul. However, it was Jamie`s 4 goals and several near misses that took the day. Bad temper, a booking and Lino Nigel taking the brunt of language and missiles, we were glad to be on our way home with the win. Kennington or unbeaten Maidstone from the central league next. Up the Gate

WONDERFUL. If you were`nt there you missed something a bit special. Ryman Cup v Maidstone FC from the central league who have won every game this season and way top of their league. One nil down with-in a few minute Maids size, speed and orgaisation spelt a hammering. Not so. Hanging on to half time Margate gave their all and more. Minutes into the second half Gate were awarded a pen, Olti stepped up and beat the keeper. 1-1 Maid seemed to faulter as the Gate pressed and for half an hour were the better team, would Margate pinch one to win? Oh yes, winning one of only a few corners Elliot swung the ball so close to the goal that a failed stop by the keeper could only push the ball further into the net for 2-1. Can the Gate hang on for the last 10 or so. Maidstone winning corner after corner sent their towering backs up but Margate were a match and even though several Gate players dropped to the ground they rose again to dig in for the final whistle. What a win, what a game. There were 11 hero`s out there tonight, not one sherked their responcibility or let the team down. £2 to get in tonight, I paid £9 on Saturday. Whitstable away Sunday Good Luck lads.

Agree differentgame I thought the lads were outstanding tonight plus the fact that most are still only sixteen too. Team last night courtesy of Tom Hickman was:

1.Matthew Bowles

2.Chaz Albrecht

3.Andrew Johnston

4.Jonny Hindley

5.Elliot Payne

6.Saul Anderton

7.Paul Axon

8.Okti Keci

9.Jamie McClean

10.Shane Brown

11.Daryn Vanhinsbergh

12.Chris Lewis

14.Kyle Evans

15.Damian Rowlands (GK)

16.Anthony Woodward

17.Charlie Jiacoumi

As said all the team were up for this but I thought Chaz and Andrew at the back played well, Olti in midfield looked quite classy and Paul looked very speedy on the ball. Matthew in goal also made a couple of exceptional saves. Certainly some names out there for the future so all is not dull on the Margate front at the moment

Thanks for your help on Tuesday Alan.

I thoroughly enjoyed what i saw of the game Tuesday night.

What impressed me the most was the never say die attitude of the youngsters. They fought every minute of the game. They chased, they tackled, they defended, they attacked.

Towards the end when they were tired they found that extra ounce to go that extra yard. They started going down with cramp, they got up again and the ran. They showed true commitment.

Well done Boy's. Everyone was up for the man of the match, it would be unfair to chose a separate one.

Maidstone were a good side, one undefeated this season and a team who's management expected them to win.

In the bar i was privy to their after match discussion, Sour grapes or what.

Considering the 1st team were away on the night the attendance was pretty good thanks to a good contingent from Maidstone.