Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Whitstable game

Chris1

Good game, nice ground, big crowd, right result but made hard work of it.

How come we played Jackson/Abbott on the left with Standen taking the Saunders role? Where was Jay anyway? Thought he had signed.

Whitstable’s goal looked suspiciously offside, but it made for a good game. They tired badly towards the end, and Gate were always looked likely to win if they could equalise. A lot of chances went begging, but hopefully Laurence is a bit happier now he has found the net.

Reds unlucky with the one that SCS blocked and that shot off the post.

What was all the argy bargy behind the goal after the equaliser? Shame about that because Whitstable’s support was very good, even singing ‘we’re proud of you’ after the final whistle.

What about MOM? I thought Smith was sound at right back again. Pinnock tireless and a well taken goal. However Jackson shades it for me as very influential throughout the match.

What were the times of the goals in the Gate-Fulham game, and how do they compare with today? I thought today followed very much the same pattern as that match.

Phew! That was a cliff-hanger indeed.

Typical cup-tie.Exciting but frustrating all rolled into one.

Always getting the chances but somehow unable to put the ball into the net.Whitstable a decent side, though what they got we gave them. Smith way out of position which led to their goal. However Smith did better after that & duly put in a good cross later on.A brilliant substitution which at the time I thought was crazy. Proths off & Wisker on. How wrong was I. Inspiration move in the end. Whisker did very well.Standen much better in midfield but Yiga my m.o.t.m & not just because he scored a goal but taking into consideration his absence & failure to break into the squad recently tried extremely hard to get something from this game & he did in the end. A great cross from the right & a perfect finish.In the absence of Danny he did very well today, but in the middle & not out wide. Pinnock worked his socks off again.Up until to our first goal we were wasting chance after chance & we ARE a better side than that.Always thought the goal was coming but time wasnt hanging about for us to do that.

Whitstable did their best,could have sneaked a two goal lead with a powerdriver that hit the upright.But we got two wonderful goals in the end & what a relief. Could & should have had 5 or 6 today I thought.

We got out of jail today.

Nice crowd,yes wrong again.Only by 500 mind l.o.l. What was it 1,114.

Felt sorry for the whitstable followers but obviously delighted to have got through. They enjoyed 80 minutes of victory even though the classier side got through in the end.They have everything to be proud of.A good day eventually but oh how we were made to suffer & wait.

You are right, we got out of jail. A nail-biting 80 minutes, then two spectacular goals.

Yiga much better when he came into in the middle, particularly when their no. 5 was winning every single thing with his head. Good goal, had been coming as he put a lot of effort in. Great cross from Smith.

Wisker very good, was not impressed on his last showing by by 'eck he made a difference today.

Deano's stunning shot in the first half was impressive, that their goalie managed to save it even more so.

Jimmy as ever outstanding, and Pinns full of running as usual. That goal of his was a beauty.

Abbo was out of sorts today.

We need to work on keeping the ball more, and getting to it first. Our inability to counter pace is a bit worrying.

Thought Whitstable played very well, and I was impressed with their pitch, although it looked a bit slippery down the slope. Club very friendly , and we had a good welcome, they had certainly gone out of their way to make sure we had all the facilities we could want at 'our' end. I was sorry that the choir stayed at the other end in the second half, they needed to be at the end towards which we were kicking, and to be frank, staying at the Whitstable end was not going to help keep things steady. I was surprised the stewards allowed it.

Great crowd, more than I thought it would be.

We only stayed down the Whitstable end in the second half because the atmosphere under the roofing was far better. The game should either be segregated or not segregated, not just telling people to stay one end the whole game. Pathetic!

Don't you think we are too slow moving it forward against these type of teams? We hold the ball up too much and give defences a chance to regroup, when a little flick on and somebody running on to it might split them.

It's what Jay Saunders used to be best at, so I am hoping he can still do it.

I think that is a very good point, but the player to capitalise on that is Hockton, I think since he got injured we have gone out of shape a bit, as the team has been shuffled.

I also think that our purple patch at and post Boreham Wood has given the players a bit of a defensive mind-set, and that is something they need to overcome in order to be a bit more adventurous going forward.

Speaking of adventurous, I thought Greg did a bit of that today, and we perked up because of it.

The game was a rollercoaster. I felt however we should have done better against a Kent League team.

I know we had af ew injuries but we can't be one or two man team.

Despite a few people's comments I felt Yiga was up for the game and he definetely did himself proud.

I have to mention Trott's determination as well. Towards the end of the second half he went in for everything and I think the players sensed it and the determination spread throughout the team

Overall I wouldnt like to stand thorugh a game like that again but the main thing is we WON.

(and it was nice to have some atmoshephere at a Margate match, from both sides)

Yer I agree MargateFan when Greg came on he did superb. He was good on the wing and offered some speed which we had lacked. I thing Greg might be good idea for the wing. He's lost some pace and thats stopped him doing a good job at right back, cos he cant come back from the adventurous runs he makes, but as a winger (and not having to worry about getting back as much) he may do a very good job

have to say im glad that one`s out the way , what a game and Whitstable should give themselves a pat on the back for playing some excellant football , there No7 giving our defence some real testing times throughout the match but have to say that Yiga ran his socks off today and was rewarded with the goal that he deserved in the end .

Thats two out of the way only two more to go , roll on 90 more mins of stress & tension but worth it if we win .

Maybe we should have started the game with a set up more like we had at the end. Given the crucial absence of Hockton, Saunders(why?) and Skinner we did so much better when Yiga played down the middle, Jackson played forward on the left with Standen behind him and Abbott played wide right. Credit to Whitstable for making it tough. Their goal was offside and against the run of play but we'd squandered a lot of chances by then. Credit the team for keeping the effort going despite not much encouragement from most of the fans till we scored. Whitsable tired after the equaliser and we didn't. Man of the match was Pinnock by a street. So much non stop running that it's easy to take it for granted, but it creates the cahnces for others as well as himself. A well deserved well taken winner.

Bring on the next round and bad luck Whitsable. Thanks for the quality approach to the day.