Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Comments on the Leyton game

Chris1

Nice to see ‘normal service’ resumed this afternoon. We controlled the game throughout and were well worth the victory.

Defence: Oates, Donovan, Trott, Skinner. Coped well in general. Charlie pulled off three good saves. Trotty more vocal than of late and plenty of encouragement given to the younger lads.

Midfield: Abbott (Smith), Protheroe (Bagley), Standen, Dolton (Wisker). We were given a lot of space in the midfield, not to take anything away from the boys, who all played well. Protheroe back to his commanding best until he took a knock at the end. Had his shooting boots on today too. Dolton challenged for everything and won a lot. Skinned his man a few times, looks a good find. Ran out of steam at the end but that’s hardly surprising the way he ran.

Forwards: Hockton as good as ever, could have had more. Saunders absolutely great up front I thought. Shows how versatile he is and what a good asset. Came off injured; it didn’t look too bad, fingers crossed. Presumably Pinns is injured? He was there giving a lot of encouragement from the touchline which is good.

I thought one of our main assets was Leyton’s idiot captain Costas or whatever his name is. He didn’t have one word of support for his players, just slagged them off all match (‘you are a lazy c---‘, for example). I thought the number 4 was going to lump him in the second half. It’s great to hear all that in the opposition team, but their supporters must have been embarrassed.

Also he gave the ref a load of stick in the first half, soon after which we were given a soft penalty. You have to suspect those two things were connected. He also got booked. A total nob. Why is he captain? Well Dad is manager and chairman I believe, so that may have something to do with it.

Funny, they are building a big new stand behind one of the goals. Must be to give their 80 supporters a bit more space to move around in.

Very good support from the drummer and singers today. Well done lads!

charlie mitten was outstanding today and i think that the whole team looked a lot better than of late, abbo pulled up complaining that 'his groin strain had come back' i think, Oates and saunders were very good also midmfield played some good football but all in all a good solid performance by the gate and leyton fans very friendly thought personally if i had to pick a weakness in the side today it was mr trott but the result is all that counts and a 4-0 away win is superb, well done boys another great away win

A comfortable victory.Could have won by a bigger margin.

Impressed with Dolton & his approach to the game. Nice to see young lads coming in & not be afraid to run at players with the ball.He was "roasting" (just for you Frankie l.o.l.)the full back in the first half.

Saunders never stopped running & pressurising oppponents.

Shame that Bagley couldnt finish near the end with a one-on-one with the keeper.He was about to slam it into the net but thought differently & decided to place it instead. Keeper saved on this occasion & though he really should have scored the fact that he thought about other options in a split second tells me that he's a quick thinking player. A good asset to have. Hope he builds on todays game given the chance.Would have been good to see him score that one though.

Trotty did one silly thing when not needed but in general commanded the air. Needs some work on his football skills though.

Charlie in goal was super.Didnt make an error all game & made two great saves.

Protheroe needs to polish up on his corner kicking but scored a good well worked goal.

Danny, again with two good finishes & was unlucky not to get another hat-trick today.

Oates had a good one as did Skinner.

Standen,Abbott & Donovan were O.K. They can do much better i.m.o.

Lets not get too carried away with this result as today Leyton looked a poor side & should have lost by a bigger margin.However,I must say,they never gave up even at 4 down.Credit to them for that.

A comfortable,no,very comfortable win today but it will get a lot harder in future games.

3 points was crucial & we took them & thats the most important thing.The sight of two youngsters willing to play positive football was also a plus point to come out from todays game.Hope they get more chances in the future.

The only sour point for me today was those opposition fans playing those damn recorders. The shrill of the things really had me pissed off. Rather have the singing,drums,rattles & hooters anytime.No wonder the team cant do well with that din ringing in their ears every game.Anyway I diverse....!

A good game of football and very happy with our performance today. I thought it was good to see the team start with a fast tempo again which led to the early goals being taken. Dolton impressed me today, gave good service to others and as others have said he kept on running. Hockton and Saunders worked well together upfront. Finally a mention to Mitten who made some good saves.

Glad Protheroe back in the mix-obviously needs a bit of match fitness, but i reckon he will have a blinder at Gloucester.

I do recall that at Billericay, Standen took most of the corners, and they were generally well delivered with some pace.

Maybe DS is our 'corner man'.

Can't afford to waste attacking corners

Getting the early goal was key - we should always strive for that, as it provided the platform for the rest of the game.

When we concede early it seems to knock the stuffing out of the lads.

But I thought they all played extremely well today, looked up for it, and looked dangerous on the attack. Smashing day out. Was impressed by Dolton. Bagley should have powered his shot, would have been a cracking good goal if he had done. Leyton as friendly and welcoming as I remembered from last year, what a shame they do not get more support, a lovely club. Nice playing surface.

I have just got in from the trip to Leyton.....OK I stopped off at the British Legion from 11pm. Left the Leyton bar at 8pm after chatting to a couple of them (including their assistant manager) Made to feel really welcome and everything was as football should be...friendly.

Think I know why their support is sh#t. Talking to a local at the bus stop going to the tube station and he thought that Leyton were a junior side of under 16s who were a feeder team to Leyton Orient.

Put him straight and hope he will attend their matches.

Ignoring the score I enjoyed my day thanks to the people of Leyton FC

Quote:
michaelmichael said:
Glad Protheroe back in the mix-obviously needs a bit of match fitness, but i reckon he will have a blinder at Gloucester.

I do recall that at Billericay, Standen took most of the corners, and they were generally well delivered with some pace.

Maybe DS is our 'corner man'.

Can't afford to waste attacking corners

Re Proths: had a great game. Hope he plays at Glos, although he took an injury on Saturday. Couldn't see exactly what, but he tried to play on and went down again. I reported he was subbed, but I think that was actually Saunders, so Proths made it to the end.

As for taking corners, you can see what he does wrong. At the last minute he is looking to adjust where he puts the ball to suit where the men are in the box. Great, but it is causing him not to look at the ball as he kicks it. Easily rectified.

Standen takes a good corner IMO. Ditto Jackson from the right for the inswinger.

There was only ONE asking for him to go to start with as far as I can remember.I'm sure even that ONE was a bit premature too.

It wasnt a goer anyway,he wasnt a goer! Not on his record thus far. It wasnt deserved then & it isnt deserved now. Results recently havent changed peoples minds as there were none,but one,to change.Again,as far as I can recall.

Trotty should be here & quite rightfully too,to continue in his job & to reach the target he started out to achieve.A play off place & promotion.

That,I'm sure will do for him,for the club & it will certainly do for me.

First chance I have had to post since coming back from Wales, great result from the lads and very pleasing to see some of the youngsters coming through and impressing. Keep it up on Saturday lads!