Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town V Potters Bar

Steph

John, Campbell, Bastian, Tickner, Stevens, Magona, Velandia, Hall, Crace, Hammatt, Hunt, Nyman, Allen, Ofori, Gant, Negus.

Well we always knew any game against Potter Bar would be difficult as they have always proved to be a good football side and we know Richard Howard from his days with us. Tonight it was very cold and there were a good number of hardy souls from both clubs at the match.

Potters Bar took the game to Town and opened up with a shot wide and then a free-kick which JJ saved. JJ then saved on his finger tips over the bar. JJ then punches away. Some excellent tackling back from Stevens, Magona and Campbell. On 25 minutes an inspired run from Steve Velandia supported in a one two by Bryan Hammatt paid off and Steve beat Hayward in a one on one 1 – 0. Some lovely passing play from town but we were containing Potters Bar. JJ saved. Some more great tackling back from Tickner and Velandia. A Kevin Stephens header was blocked by a defender. At the other end JJ was at full stretch to deny Potters Bar. Potters Bar head round our post. So at the end of first half some lovely play from both teams but Town were in control containing Potters Bar.

Dean Nyman on for Paul Campbell. In the second half Town on the attack and Simon Tickner scuffed a shot wide. Steve Magona shot wide. Bryan Hammatt had a shot blocked by the keeper. Ricci Crace shot wide. Town failed to put the game out of reach and then at the other end the dreaded Penalty. Some fans said it was a penalty some said it wasn’t but Richard Howard put the ball in off the post. Bryan Hammatt shot wide and JJ tipped over before taking a knock. Dean Nyman made a lovely cross for Bryan Hammatt who had his shot finger tipped over. Steve Velandia had a shot saved. David Allen on for Dave Hunt and Kojo Ofori on for Steve Magona.

We played ok but Potters Bar scored a second goal past the injured JJ and 1 – 2 that was that.

PS Bradley Poole is now playing for PBTFC reserves. Kieron Woodward is still off on compassionate at this time and we wish him well.

Disagree with PBTFC about them dominating the first half. I thought it was pretty even and either side could have gone in with a slender lead or level. both sides played some good football in the first half. Early in the second half we should have finished the game off but our shooting was terrible. As soon as they scored we just seemed to lose heart and the players seemd to know that it would end up a draw or even worse.

I think whoever updates the official site must have been standing near me in the second half as I said it appears we have snatched defeat from the claws of victory and that comment is now on the site!

Good luck to PB for the rest of the season. A good footballing side. A special mention has to go to your keeper as he kept you in the game with some fine saves and kept our spirits up with some good banter!

A good game of football last night between two teams who kept the ball on the floor and passed. Enfield Town made to pay for not getting the second goal, despite having a number of chances to do so.

Nyman replacing Paul Campbell made no sense to me and it was Nyman's rash looking tackle in the box that resulted in the penalty. I still can't understand that substitution - if Campbell was injured we had two other defenders on the subs bench (Dave Allen and Adam Gant). Also Dave Hunt could have played right back if necessary.

Kevin Stevens looked like a quality player - I hope he stays around this time. We didn't look like equalising in the last 10 minutes or so, once Potters Bar had the lead. Bad result for us but congrats to Potters Bar. They played good fotball, unlike some other teams who have left Brimmo with 3 points after a midweek match.

Jim Chandler really needs to get the players motivated as I sense they are settling for anywhere between second and fifth in the league, knowing that Hornchurch are running away with the title. Dangerous mindset and one that could see us slip out of the top 6 if it is allowed to continue.

Saturday will be an interesting test, especially after the away match at Waltham Forest. The players should be up for that one.

Last observation - why is Lee Smith not even making the squad? We are obviously short of cover up front and he is a proven goal scorer. I do not understand it. His patience must be all but exhausted.