Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Another womble statement

I don't think there is much to say from our perspective.

You beat us fair and square, Darlingtons header from behind the line notwithstanding, an unfortunate clerical error means we go through instead of you. We are very lucky if we really want to be in the trophy, which our performance amd unwillingness to throw players forward against Wimbledon would suggest otherwise, you are very unlucky.

Don't worry about the T-Shirts, I think they're great. I was thinking of getting some done myself except saying at the bottom "except in court". The swear thingy on here is a little harsh you can't even say "C O C K", which to me seems very bizzar.

I think all you need to do in your fanzine on our part is say that it had nothing to do with us. I really wanted us to win the game but wasn't too concerned about the Trophy itself and would have quite happilly let it go and continued the push for the play offs. This in a way is kind of the worst case scenario for us, we lost the game but still face a back log of fixtures, as long as you wombles don't take anything out on us then I think its fair. As far as I know we didn't even have anyone at the hearing. As it is though we're back in, through no fault of our own and I really think we have a good chance of winning it but I don't want it to come in the way of the play offs. Now had it happened in the league and the team above us had done something similar deducting points off of them thus pushing us into the play offs now that would be a different matter.

P.S Cheers fellas for the links to their message board.

Apart also from the corner that wasn't that then led to the AFC goal! Still it is this kind of decision that keeps the game interesting I suppose.

I certainly do not treat the Trophy as a "tinpot" competition. But I definitely felt less aggrieved and upset at our exit by this goal than the one scored in what was one of my darkest hours as a Fleet fan, ie, the Alan Cork goal against us at Plough Lane in the last minute of extra time in the FA Cup replay when Wimbledon were in the old 4th Division. Now that really was a blow.

At least you saw the game - I missed the home game due to hockey commitments & then lost my chance to attend the replay when I was "persuaded" (gently of course!) that I should assist at the open evening at Springhead school that night - mind you, didnt stop me leaving the radio on all evening! If I recall, we had a penalty given to us 30 seconds before Wimbledon broke to the other end for the winner - having given the penalty though, the ref then decided the foul was outside the box, despite the fact that it had been clearly inside. Sickening even listening to the radio!

I remember that as well ... drove past the ground on the left and parked five mins walk up the road , then on the way in found a programme seller 100 yards from the turnstiles selling "the FA Cup special" ... turns out the inside was just a black and white glossy of the history of the cup ( b*st*rd !!). It was the longest , quietest journey home with my dad ever ... apart from Capital radio playing Tommy Gun by the Clash twice in twenty minutes .

Ps ... I left Springhead in 79 !

PPs ... "Under my overcoat , dangling free ... a place in my heart for the FA Trophy ..." ( Sorry Wombles - what goes around comes around )

Originally Posted By: MokeAFCW

still believe that it's wholly over the top to have such extreme penalties for paperwork offences. if you dont, well that's your lookout.

I'm sure most of us agree that the punishment is draconian when compared to those for more blatant and obvious forms of cheating. However, the point that many are making, and justifiably so, is that all the while such punishment for this offence still exists, and particularly given the much-publicised trouble Alty got into regarding this same issue last season, clubs only have themselves to blame if they don't check everything when signing new players.

In an ideal world, tighter systems would be in place ensuring that things never got this far before players' ineligibility was noticed.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
I really wanted us to win the game but wasn't too concerned about the Trophy itself and would have quite happilly let it go and continued the push for the play offs. This in a way is kind of the worst case scenario for us, we lost the game but still face a back log of fixtures, as long as you wombles don't take anything out on us then I think its fair. As far as I know we didn't even have anyone at the hearing. As it is though we're back in, through no fault of our own and I really think we have a good chance of winning it but I don't want it to come in the way of the play offs.

A fair point, but the extra income that the Trophy offers to us, particularly in the light of our recent FA Cup failures, is a valuable commodity, and so its importance shouldn't be disregarded.