Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 11th August - Fixtures, Results

Looking forward to going to see how ampthill get on tommorrow against afc dunstable

I can't see Ampthill Town progressing can you

Spot on for once Rhodes. Was a close game for an hour but Ampthill's heads seemed to drop once we went 2-1 up. Looking from a distance, Ampthill should be OK in the Prem, might need a bit more pace in the centre of defence though.

A report on this disappointing result from another Forum

FA Extra Prelim

Coles Park, White Hart Lane

Haringey Borough 1-3 AFC Kempston Rovers

Admission: £5 + £2 for youngest incl small functional programme.

Attendance: h/c 60-70 - fair number of away fans.

Directions : M25 jn 25 S on A10 S for 6.5 miles - over N.Circular stay in right hand lane for right filter at lights in to White Hart Lane. Coles Park is visible but with a small entrance tucked in on the left at a bend opposite some Industrial Units & just past the Haringey Sea Scouts - look for a menacing-looking artillery piece in their yard.

Facilities: odd parking-wise as they didn't appear to be letting many cars in, though they have considerable space inside the ground. May well be restrictions in place as extensive re-building work is underway. Plenty of street parking round and about as long as you are considerate.

Down side meant there is currently no clubhouse - just a table under the side of the stand serving hot drinks and crisps. A very helpful chap volunteered to go off and get cold drinks. (incl a choice of tins of Carlsberg or Guinness)

New clubhouse build well underway - overheard comments from one of the officials that they are still about a month from completion.

Large elevated stand with bucket seats - some other cover further along but not in use - crowd given a cheery warning pre H/T about trip hazards all over the ground and current location of 'facilities' (1 x portaloo and one other toilet/washing block with sinks) whilst building work underway.

Match: score one for the UCL over the SSML. Very little between the two - some degree of revenge then for the identical tie at the same stage last season which had ended 2-0 to HB.

AFC Kempston conceded around the hour mark - equalized via the 'comedy og' route soon after and grabbed the tie with two fairly late goals - the 3rd deep in injury time.

Decided to try A111 to M25 jn 24 on return journey - discovered M4 closed at jn 8 thru 10 so diverted off on M40 W - A404(M) and home via a strangely deserted A4. Any problems must have cleared quickly if the BBC Berks/Oxon traffic report at about 18:15 was to be believed - they opened with news of difficulties on the M20 and negelcted to mention to the previous closure right on their doorstep.

Edited by Karen Browne

PREMIER DIVISION

0-3 London Tigers v Dunstable Town

A report from another Forum:

London Tigers 0 Dunstable Town 3, Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, att 30, admission £5, programme (above average) £1

I'd heard several reports about Avenue Park, non of them particularly flattering. I walked straight in after arriving five minutes late. When I asked some local youths if there were any programmes the bloke who appreared in charge and was attempting to get a corner flag to stay upright (no-one manged for any length of time all day and in the end they completely gave up) kindly took me to the clubhouse to get one and I offered my admission money.

The ground had a small bench seated cover behind the near goal and a cover at the other end made of boarding and scaffold. There was no spectator accommodation down the side by the dug outs and the other side had the narrowist of spaces for fans. A fence seperated it from a public footpath, where any tightwads could watch for nothing. Personally I'd make any such offenders sit next to the England Band for a season.

On to the game;

There was plenty of early end to end stuff with both sides playing attractive football. The visitors, who had impressed me when beating Luton Town a couple of weeks ago went one up with a free header from Jonathan Barnett. Both keeper were kept busy as both sides went for it, although Town always had a more incisive cutting edge in my opinion. There was some concern that a referees assessor, who I presumed was a YTS journalist at first, scrutinised senior officials. All three did well, although the ref did come across as having to be unessessarily strict.

At half time I popped into the somewhat spartan clubhouse. I thought £2 was a bit steep for a lucozade, but I understand clubs need to make a few quid where they can. I was just pleased to see that Tigers had regrouped and got their ground back in action. It was nice to see the diversity of both the playing squad and their few supporters. I read that a new sports complex in Spikes Bridge Park was on the way. Maybe it will have a pitch for their first team?

After the break Town extended their lead with a long looping shot from Damen Pickering, which Adam Atour in the home net will have been disappointed to let in. He atoned with some excellent stops as Dunstable took control. Tigers had their moments but didn't worry the Town keeper. Tigers star man Kye Hendrix missed a decent opportunity before the play went straight up the other end for Lee Roache to make it three. They rattled the post in the last seconds, but 4-0 would have been harsh on the home side.

I was back home in Kingsbury at just gone 6pm and got to see plenty of tearful Brazilians coming out of the Olympic final at Wembley. I know who'd had the better day out!

Edited by Rhodes

An anorak from another Forum was at this professional win for Tring Athletic yesterday:

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Bedfont Sports 0

Tring Athletic 1 (11)

Att: 69 h/c KO: 1500 Cost: £5 inc 12 page prog.

Venue: Bedfont Sports Recreation Ground, Hatton Road, Bedfont.

Watched the last 30+mins of the Wembley game in the clubhouse.

Fully railed & all hardstanding with 2 floodlight poles each side. Main side has various bits of cover but they are poorly positioned as each one is set back & if you stand/sit under cover people would be in the way at the front leaning on the rail. Straddling 1/2 way line is cover attached to the clubhouse with some benches in front. To one side there is cover attached to the snack bar with a bench in front & a grassed area. Behind the grassed area is a green see thru mesh fence with part of the car park behind. In the other corner are 3 rows of covered seats with the cover attached to the brick built changing room building. Opposite on the half-way line is a very small bit of cover with 4 chairs inside. This side has the green mesh see-thru fence as does behind one goal. Behind the fence down the side are 2 sets of goalposts & 1 rugby pitch. Behind the goal where the mesh fence is but behind is a path & an allotment. Behind other goal are some containers in the corner. Behind these is part of the other football ground. The remainder of this goal has a mish-mash of odds'n'ends including a pile of rubble where it looked as though a stand once stood.

Match: Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division v Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division

TA scored with the 1st effort at goal. They had a couple of headers go wide with the 2nd a good chance. BS had plenty of possession but didn't shoot. On 33mins they nearly scored from a free-kick which the gk had trouble with.

BS came out strongly in the 2nd half & made the gk dive to make 3 saves & the 1st one saw a header go over from the rebound. TA also had a shot saved during this period. Towards the end of the game TA had a couple of efforts to increase their lead, the 1st one went wide & later the gk saved. Another chance when a back pass header went straight to a TA forward but he couldn't control the ball.

An enjoyable game which was a fair result but should've been more goals. BS have now played 3 games & still not scored.

An anorak from another Forum was at this professional win for Tring Athletic yesterday:

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Bedfont Sports 0

Tring Athletic 1 (11)

Att: 69 h/c KO: 1500 Cost: £5 inc 12 page prog.

Venue: Bedfont Sports Recreation Ground, Hatton Road, Bedfont.

Watched the last 30+mins of the Wembley game in the clubhouse.

Fully railed & all hardstanding with 2 floodlight poles each side. Main side has various bits of cover but they are poorly positioned as each one is set back & if you stand/sit under cover people would be in the way at the front leaning on the rail. Straddling 1/2 way line is cover attached to the clubhouse with some benches in front. To one side there is cover attached to the snack bar with a bench in front & a grassed area. Behind the grassed area is a green see thru mesh fence with part of the car park behind. In the other corner are 3 rows of covered seats with the cover attached to the brick built changing room building. Opposite on the half-way line is a very small bit of cover with 4 chairs inside. This side has the green mesh see-thru fence as does behind one goal. Behind the fence down the side are 2 sets of goalposts & 1 rugby pitch. Behind the goal where the mesh fence is but behind is a path & an allotment. Behind other goal are some containers in the corner. Behind these is part of the other football ground. The remainder of this goal has a mish-mash of odds'n'ends including a pile of rubble where it looked as though a stand once stood.

Match: Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division v Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division

TA scored with the 1st effort at goal. They had a couple of headers go wide with the 2nd a good chance. BS had plenty of possession but didn't shoot. On 33mins they nearly scored from a free-kick which the gk had trouble with.

BS came out strongly in the 2nd half & made the gk dive to make 3 saves & the 1st one saw a header go over from the rebound. TA also had a shot saved during this period. Towards the end of the game TA had a couple of efforts to increase their lead, the 1st one went wide & later the gk saved. Another chance when a back pass header went straight to a TA forward but he couldn't control the ball.

An enjoyable game which was a fair result but should've been more goals. BS have now played 3 games & still not scored.

1) I see that the nearest match official to Coles Park made a TV appearence after replacing the referee at Wembley yesterday

2) I notice the report above makes no mention of the match officials - I presume they must have had a good game. I wonder who officiated on this game?

3) Where is your match report on the Hadley Vs Hertford game? I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath

3) Where is your match report on the Hadley Vs Hertford game? I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath

You're giving me a hard time today aren't you, I didn't say I was definitely going to the game and couldn't get there in the end

You're giving me a hard time today aren't you, I didn't say I was definitely going to the game and couldn't get there in the end

Well that's a turn up for the books.........not. (I watched Bill and Ted when I got in last night lol)

Won convincingly today, against a very average Stony team. They will struggle this year, as we couldn't get out of second gear and still won 5-0

Did they have big unit up front? He was excellent for Bletchley last season against us

both forwards were hauled off, after not really making any inroads. They tried to play football, and panicked when pressed. They would have been better for playing to their strengths and using the height of their forwards.

Won convincingly today, against a very average Stony team. They will struggle this year, as we couldn't get out of second gear and still won 5-0

Did they have big unit up front? He was excellent for Bletchley last season against us

both forwards were hauled off, after not really making any inroads. They tried to play football, and panicked when pressed. They would have been better for playing to their strengths and using the height of their forwards.

Agree he was almost unplayable when the ball was played long and direct to him did you play Dom?

I was at the Hadley v Hertford match yesterday. From a Hertford point of view the performance was dire, it looked like the team hasn't played enough matches during pre-season or the team has been changed too many times. Almost toothless upfront & a defence that gifted too many one on ones with the keeper. Hadley took their chances to their credit and ran out deserved winners. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Hertford come up against one of the more settled big boys of the premier division like on wednesday night... prediction: AFC Dunstable to win with ease.

I hope im wrong and the season gets a whole lot better but for now I dont see it.

Agree he was almost unplayable when the ball was played long and direct to him did you play Dom?

How tall is this dude then ?

Anyone know who the tallest player in the SSML is ?

Edited by Savagebee

Melford Simpsons gotta be up there!

Yes, he's colossus isn't he

Yes, he's colossus isn't he

MG0262.jpg

And a gentleman by the looks of it!

Cockfosters might not agree with that

Lee Jones got to be 6'3" but also built like a brick $hit house

Lee Jones got to be 6'3" but also built like a brick $hit house

i think pete couch is bigger at stoke

F.A. CUP (With Budweiser) Extra Preliminary Round

1-3 Hanwell Town v Haringey & Waltham Development

This one is touched upon on another Forum, it sounds like Hanwell were disappointing:

I don't think those at Hanwell yesterday would be quite so dismissive of ESL teams, the kids of Harringey & Waltham Development totally outplayed the home team who even suprised themselves when they scored midway through the second half to spark hopes of a comback. It didn't happen and never looked even a remote possibility.

Probably the second most one-sided game I've seen so far this season (even I wouldn't claim H&W were as dominat as the Hamlet last Sunday).

it sounds like Hanwell were disappointing:

We were.