Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HITCHEN UPDATES

GEEBEE

Hitchin with an "i" actually!!

Have read this thread with interest. We're still stunned as to how we got the result. At 3-0 up one of our hardcore delighted in reminding us of your exploits at Fisher, and at 3-3 we could clearly see what he was talking about. Thought at best we were on our way to Hartsdown on Tuesday.

Getting back in front 4-3 was totally out of character. Plus, we started with no strikers on the field, as we have done for the past half a dozen games - look how many goals we have scored in the League!

What I must say though is, your team was the most indisciplined team I have seen this season by quite a long shot, and that is so clearly compromising the talent you clearly have there. A stricter ref. yesterday, and you may well have seen two more of your players walk with McKimm. Saying that, we aren't exactly squeaky clean and may have finished with 10 men. You have a stronger squad than us, a bigger and noisier fan base than us (lot more zimmer frames in abundance up here and people who still think it's 1973 or thereabouts), and deserve better on the park. But your manager needs to sort the discipline out so that the talent can shine through.

Hope it happens for you - then you can start building towards being the team you were not so long ago. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Originally Posted By: michaelmichael

Put Haworth,Pinnock,Side on transfer list.

Replace them with 3 quality defenders.

Play Axon and Moir up front.Perhaps Pratt, perhaps your granny, in fact anyone with a pulse-it does not really matter. (thats where barron and bagley would have been useful.You can afford to play younger players up front whilst they learn their trade, but you just can't take risks in defence.)

Start getting a point per game,hope Moir and Axon can get the odd goal, mixed in with a free kick, corner, penalty and scrape the odd win.

Stabilise the defence, that brings essential confidence to the team, then slowly improve the forward line.

I had to re-read this trash several times to actually belive that a Margate Supporter and not a supporter in Rams clothing had written it.

Good point. I've never really understood the difference other than the full/wing backs pushing up a little more. Strange really because in the "old" days with 2 full backs, 3 half backs and (kind of) 5 up front (anyone remember inside forwards?), the full backs were often still expected to support the attack. So perhaps formation is a bit of a red herring - it's about doing the right thing at the right time - platyers with awareness. Any way, I'm rambling now ... so I'll stop.

Originally Posted By: Porka
Good debate on here. It does need to be stressed that we need a good centre back to come in ASAP to shore up the defence. Danny Young - great prospect, but weak heading at times leads the the ball dropping in the hole between the midfield and the defence. When Jay and Macca (Standen has the legs to make up this ground more often than not but Macca struggled yesterday) can't then win that 2nd ball, we come under huge pressure. We need a defender who is experienced at this level but has better fitness than Trotty, and can marshall the defence, no frills, just get that ball out and defend from a throw in, etc.

Some people in local circles might look at this and think a reserve could easily step in. I'd disagree. There's a lot of very technical attacking players at this level. Tyron Sealey for Hitchin is a prime example. The defender we need really needs a knowledge of this level, to fit the bill IMO in the situation we find ourselves in.

Louis Smith and Danny Young as a central defensive combo is better than having Trott in there, but is still not good enough at the moment IMO. We could really do with someone who has played at this level before, and is commanding. Then put either Smith or Young alongside, or even Smith at right back, just get that calm head who has the ability to look after himself pace wise. Tough to do in October as most good centre backs will be settled - but it does need to be done. Maybe someone needs to dig deep to fund this, because its key if we dont want to be scrapping like we were 2 years ago.

Quite possibly the best post i have read on the forum for some time!

To those who suggest i was talking rubbish effectively suggesting that haworth,Pinns and Side should be 'exchanged' for defenders, i was obviously being contentious to make the point, that whilst we all agree that we need defenders, if the funding is not there, you have to find a way.

If you have fixed resources/budget, you have to find a way.

We blew yesterday, so what other way is there.

Maybe you lose one player in favour of a coach who can organise and improve a defence (a la Ramsgate )

Such ways are not always popular,and certainly it is the last thing that i would want to do; but if it meant improving things and stabilising the ship; as a manager with limited resources, those are the type of harsh and unpopular decisions you have to make;and are paid to make.

Effectively, with all the forwards,RT has been 'overtrading',and companies who overtrade go bust.A sensible company will sort its cost base (defence) first.

Is it very different from having a family, and having to trade in your favoured mini cooper for a boring people carrier, because the family will not fit in the mini anymore.You crash if you try and get them all in.You don't want to do it,but have to adapt to the situation you are in.You only have enough money to have one car.Then as you stabilise the situation and grow, you find things get better, and you can have your people carrier and afford a mini cooper aswell.

Its easy for us armchair managers to criticise and make suggestions.I am simply trying to add ways as to how with fixed resources, you have to change things around to get the most out of your limited resources.

Originally Posted By: michaelmichael
To those who suggest i was talking rubbish effectively suggesting that haworth,Pinns and Side should be 'exchanged' for defenders, i was obviously being contentious to make the point, that whilst we all agree that we need defenders, if the funding is not there, you have to find a way.
If you have fixed resources/budget, you have to find a way.
We blew yesterday, so what other way is there.

Maybe you lose one player in favour of a coach who can organise and improve a defence (a la Ramsgate )

Such ways are not always popular,and certainly it is the last thing that i would want to do; but if it meant improving things and stabilising the ship; as a manager with limited resources, those are the type of harsh and unpopular decisions you have to make;and are paid to make.

Effectively, with all the forwards,RT has been 'overtrading',and companies who overtrade go bust.A sensible company will sort its cost base (defence) first.

Is it very different from having a family, and having to trade in your favoured mini cooper for a boring people carrier, because the family will not fit in the mini anymore.You crash if you try and get them all in.You don't want to do it,but have to adapt to the situation you are in.You only have enough money to have one car.Then as you stabilise the situation and grow, you find things get better, and you can have your people carrier and afford a mini cooper aswell.

Its easy for us armchair managers to criticise and make suggestions.I am simply trying to add ways as to how with fixed resources, you have to change things around to get the most out of your limited resources.

Two good posts in one topic, things are looking up on the forum side of things!!

Originally Posted By: hitchin_chris
Hitchin with an "i" actually!!

What I must say though is, your team was the most indisciplined team I have seen this season by quite a long shot, and that is so clearly compromising the talent you clearly have there. A stricter ref. yesterday, and you may well have seen two more of your players walk with McKimm. Saying that, we aren't exactly squeaky clean and may have finished with 10 men. You have a stronger squad than us, a bigger and noisier fan base than us (lot more zimmer frames in abundance up here and people who still think it's 1973 or thereabouts), and deserve better on the park. But your manager needs to sort the discipline out so that the talent can shine through.

How long have we been saying this? Wardy takes the players wages at Ramsgate for indisipline and they don't seem to have the problems we have with bans. Trott needs to match his tough talk with tough actions. I'm sick of watching a half baked squad and not our strongest team which we all know can match anyone on their day but when we're depleted we're below average.

Discovered after the game why the Hitchin No2 was not sent off for his knee high tackle on Jacko.

After the match as he was leaving the pitch the comment thrown at him by one of our supporters was he should have walked in the first half (no swearing or foul language used at all) At that point his big brother is on his feet and threatening to take KYs head off. It is of course possible that the steroids he takes to get the muscles he has got to his brain or that bit that is left in his head.

Maybe muscle man had warned the ref before the game not to mix with his little brother.