Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jim or Peter

MOTM v Sutton  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

• P Nicholls
    • A Lacey
    • C Robinson
    • K Millington
    • D Young
    • J Haverson
    • J Keister
    • W Wilson
    • J Healy
    • L Blackman
    • S West
    • S Cliff
    • L Smith

Greg Dyke - Merry Christmas.

I'm afraid I can't agree with that, Sellers just bores me and I turn the tv straight over or off when he comes on whereas Carrey sums up the word 'comedian' and he throws his heart and soul into the part. I gather Carrey is also a very decent chap off screen and has time for everybody whereas Sellers was a complex character who could be a nasty piece of work.

It took me a while but I think I've finally figured out the real reason for this seemingly unnecessary dislike of Peter Sellers that clip Rods holds.

In many films, Sellers played a bumbling fool of a detective called Inspector Cleaseau. In trying (without any success so far) to figure out who 3praise is, clip Rods' own bumbling and foolish behaviour has seen him likened to said French detective character by many people on this forum.

Therefore, the single brain cell in clip Rods head tells him, by way of association, that Mr. Sellers is someone not to be liked. However, dislike is nowhere near satisfying enough for the clip Rods ego so it has to be an all-out assault against the comedy talent and personal life of one of our truly great and dearly departed comedians.

Yes, it all makes sense now.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Greg Dyke - Merry Christmas.
I'm afraid I can't agree with that, Sellers just bores me and I turn the tv straight over or off when he comes on whereas Carrey sums up the word 'comedian' and he throws his heart and soul into the part. I gather Carrey is also a very decent chap off screen and has time for everybody whereas Sellers was a complex character who could be a nasty piece of work.

Sellers was at times not a nice man off camera I agree but then name a celebrity who is ALL THE TIME! He was a complex character tormented by trying to quantify his comic genius and also stifled by his bond with his mother. However his off screen persona is largely irrelevant in terms of the entertainment he was and is able to provide to me and millions of others. If you don't like him fine that's not an issue.

Lato - I know this thread is done and dusted now following Peter Sellers suspicious vote victory over Jim Carrey however I meant to ask if you have ever seen 'The Cable Guy', if so what did you think

no not seen it. The only Carrey films I have seen are The Mask (overrated) Dumb and Dumber (can someone explain what exactly is funny in this film please), Man on the Moon (A good performance as I have said before the best thing Carrey has done in my opinion), The Truman Show (good idea but ran out of steam) and the Batman film he was in (awful)

Originally Posted By: Lato
Sellers was at times not a nice man off camera I agree but then name a celebrity who is ALL THE TIME! He was a complex character tormented by trying to quantify his comic genius and also stifled by his bond with his mother. However his off screen persona is largely irrelevant in terms of the entertainment he was and is able to provide to me and millions of others. If you don't like him fine that's not an issue.

Lato - I think you are such a popular poster on this Forum because your knowledge is so broad and you can go into great depth on most topics in an entertaining fashion particularly those close to your heart, I take my hat off to you.
Having said that I still feel you are very misguided in your praise and admiration for Peter Sellers and another example of this is the way he treated Britt Ekland who one might argue, albeit wrongly, became famous purely as a result of her 1964 marriage to him when Sellers allegedly proposed after seeing her photograph in the paper. I have always been a big fan of Ekland and she was treated appallingly by Sellers despite standing by him through thick and thin and nursing him back to health after he sadly suffered a series of massive heart attacks shortly after they married, she also raised their daughter, Victoria, single handedly whilst juggling a flourishing film career and becoming hugely successful in her own right.

Horace - It has everything to do with it, Sellers always carried a lot of baggage whereas Carrey can just express himself on screen without a care in the World

Not for the first time, I find myself replying "Rubbish"!

Please accept that some people do have different tastes to yours, and that some people DO find Sellers funnier than Carrey. I am one of those.

Horace - Yes but you're bound to say that aren't you just to side with Lato. If I had started a thread that indicated Peter Sellers was a far better comedian than Jim Carrey then the vote would have been overwhelmingly in Carrey's favour, that's the point I am trying to get across.

Horace - Yes but you're bound to say that aren't you just to side with Lato. If I had started a thread that indicated Peter Sellers was a far better comedian than Jim Carrey then the vote would have been overwhelmingly in Carrey's favour, that's the point I am trying to get across.

what tosh..so you are suggesting people voted for Sellers over Carrey simply because I instigated the poll. That really does suggest an inferiority complex of the highest order manifesting itself in a need to be the centre of attention on your part.

Lato - Why aren't you watching 'Meet Me In St Louis'

Horace - Why can't you stand him, you must have a reason

Carrey just bores me and I turn the tv straight over or off when he comes on whereas Sellers sums up the word 'comedian' and he throws his heart and soul into the part.

Is anyone watching Bruce Almighty on BBC1