Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

siteNew Players

OldTowner

Steph.I'm glad i don't stand where you do.I have to say that i disagree with a lot of what you say.Heald (if fit) is still a quality above any of our other defenders.My only worry would be who to partner him with.For me he should be first on the team sheet (if fit).You are in a minority of one (maybe two) who think Magona should be a regular start in midifeld ,or any other position.For me, he has had two good games this season.You seem to put out of your mind the majority of games where he has offered nothing but scruffy play and endless aimless hoofs at the ball.Hammett would not be an automatic start in mifield either.I would currently pick him on form,but i would easily drop him if it dips for any length of time.

The first names on my teamsheet would be what i call our 'conference quality' spine. Heald/Nyhama/Jones/Crace.I would work out the formation and line-up around those four players.

Very good post Steph, I don't necessarily agree with you 100% about selection, but I think you're right in that we lack a true leader to give us guidance/direction. The closest think we have is Hammatt, and I think we look a better side when he plays as he is a good talker. I would even go so far as saying that I think our lack of discipline this season is partly due to a lack of guidance on the field.

For what it's worth, my outfield 10 would be Heald, Harvey, Tickner although Gant if fit would probably push all of them for a place. Wing backs would be Bastian and Campbell (assuming he's fit and motivated, if not then Nay), with Nyamah, Hammatt and probably Jones in midfield, although Rudi and Velandia both bring a lot to the side, and could easily fit in. Up front, Crace is one of the first picks, and Foster probably gets the nod, although I was impressed with Deane on Tuesday, and his pace brings us something that the others forwards don't.

All in all, we do have a very strong squad with quality cover in all positions, so there are no complaints from me on that front. We just need to find a balanced side and start to string some results together, as this league is wide open. The problem is, the are probably about 6 or more other teams saying the same thing at the moment.

Makes for an interesting league though...

Originally Posted By: Steph
.....You never notice the good work that Magona does in midfield.

You never noticed the work that Kevin Riley did in midfield and defence. ......

Your serious arn't you, I just know you are.

No I never noticed either & as LS says you must surely be in a minority of one with regard Magona, the guy is a liability simple as that, he brings us nothing that your average park player couldn't do.

Like I said & like your good self said Harvey has yet to set a game alight, but thats my point he seems solid & reliable so dont have a problem with his selection.

AJ is a dead cert on the team sheet along with Heald & Crace for me the rest are based on performances, Ticks is a personal favourite, no nonsense & solid, so alongside Heald & Harvey it makes for a solid looking back line.

As for view point I believe LS stands around the 18 yard line & more often than not I find myself agreeing with his views, but then we are all managers for 90 mins Steph mate & I doubt if 2 in 10 of us would pick the same starting 11.

Originally Posted By: enfield_paul
gant, heald, bastian, campbell, kofi, rudi, jones, valendia, crace, hammatt would be my team. keeper = tbc

This is the sort of team selection that would get JC the sack, if implemented against Waltham Abbey!!

1. Tickner would be a definite starter, and there is no way you can drop Harvey on his current form. Let's face it, the feeling I get is that Ganty won't be back on the field that soon. Lee Smith has made a comeback recently and I've seen him training out with the others for sometime before games etc - not seen AG start to do this as yet, unless it isn't for him?
2. Rudi in my opinion would not walk straight back into the side at the moment ahead of Kofi or Jonah, and Hammatt clearly has to sit as the 3rd man in centre-mid. Saying that, we need his ability from dead balls and penalties at present.
3. Deane is clearly going to start every game (have you seen him play yet? That is a serious question and not sarcasm by the way)
4. Is that a 4-4-2? We clearly are doing better in a 3-5-2 at present, no question.
5. Stevie.V is going to be in and out of the starting XI. Saturday would not have been his game at all, but he still has a big part to play and JC should look to use him wisely.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
I would currently go for.

Foster

Gant,Tickner,Heald

Campbell,Hammett,Kofi,Jones,Bastian

Crace,Deane

Foster

Heald, Harvey, Tickner

Campbell*, Hammett, Nyamah, Jones, Bastian

Crace, Deane

Subs: Foster, Velandia, Hall, Nay, A.N.Other

*Jamie Nay did very well on Saturday and is pushing PC for his place at the moment I feel.

Lovely Stuff, I know we will never agree on Mr.Harvey, but surely his current form, and in particular his last 2 performances in the week just gone (which have been very good), have proven to you that he is good enough to start for us? There is no way you could drop him at the moment, and like I have said, I don't think that Gant is in the picture at the moment anyway(fitness wise). That said, we are in agreeance regarding every other selection, so it's progress wink

Would still stick with Foster in goal, but he doesn't fill me with the greatest of confidence when coming for crosses or set-pieces, and he needs to work on this. I hope to see an improvement, because I think he has a lot of ability and made a couple of good saves at the weekend, especially a very brave one late on, before their skipper blazed over. I can't help thinking that it is an accident waiting to happen though. He flapped a fair bit on Saturday and got very lucky after dropping a corner at the striker's feet, which somehow he didn't convert.

Those I have named as subs are the 4 other players I believe are good enough to start in place of others if needed, or to put it another way, can challenge the others for their places at present. Clearly these guys are going to be in and out of the starting XI anyway, that is the way things have to work at this level, with injuries and suspensions etc. Mags, Hodge, Grieves are also good squad players, but atm I feel the above are our best 15 players. Gant has not been taken into account of course smile

yes I have seen deane play twice, and he looks good. I'd like to see him consistently produce for another few games before i suggest dropping ricci. although agree that rudi's form not been brilliant so maybe room for smithy if he completes his comeback.

Originally Posted By: Mini-Smith Towner
Originally Posted By: enfield_paul
gant, heald, bastian, campbell, kofi, rudi, jones, valendia, crace, hammatt would be my team. keeper = tbc

This is the sort of team selection that would get JC the sack, if implemented against Waltham Abbey!!

I dare you........

Originally Posted By: Mini-Smith Towner

Foster

Heald, Harvey, Tickner

Campbell*, Hammett, Nyamah, Jones, Bastian

Crace, Deane

Subs: Foster, Velandia, Hall, Nay, A.N.Other

*Jamie Nay did very well on Saturday and is pushing PC for his place at the moment I feel.

Lovely Stuff, I know we will never agree on Mr.Harvey, but surely his current form......

Agree 99% MST, I feel Harvey's pace is much needed, Heald & Ticks are not the quickest and with Gant as well there would be no pace.

Also noticed Harvey was very vocal on Saturday which was good.

Only disagree on the choice of keeper, Foster was still fumbling too much for my likeing on Saturday & is still not convincing, I would go with Hasler & would go with Nay, PC wasn't getting back quick enough when he got caught out of position & thought Jamie had a good game Saturday.

I agree that Nay played very well on Saturday, and worked his socks off. He should very much be pushing Campbell for making the position his rightful own, but I fully expect that they will be sharing the workload for the remainder of the season, and I am quite happy with that to be honest.

With regards to Andre, I have also aired the same doubts, but I'm willing to stick with him as I do believe that he has a lot of ability, and at the end of the day, 2 clean sheets on the bounce. It is simply his ability to deal with the high ball and crosses that doesn't fill me with the greatest of confidence either, but you need to show some faith in him and hope he improves this part of his game. I just feel he has that bit more presence than Charlie at the back, and I think that this is the only thing holding CH back at the moment.

Also, in reply to enfield paul, I don't think we should be selecting a player simply because of their ability from set pieces. Deane appears fairly handy from free-kicks anyway - that guy can shoot by the way, and can gets shots off from almost anywhere (in particular his attempt in the 2nd half when their keeper got down well to parry).

Nice to hear someone else being happy with the way Glen Harvey is playing at the moment by the way Gazza. I am still waiting for lovely stuff to eat some humble pie and say that he is good enough to start for ETFC?? smirk

Glen has started to make a good meaningful contribution over the last couple of games (as opposed to being good for being annonaymous) and is worth a place in the starting 11 on current form (if we are playing three central defenders).It's also no coincidence that his performances have seeminly improved since Heald started playing alongside him.So whilst i conceed that Glen is a good solid foil for Heald/Tickner.I'm still not convinced as too how he would cope as a front-line central defender in his own right,if we picked up injuries suspensions at the back.

Edgware can't score for toffee lately,and we have also been playing a lot of mid-table sides in the last six weeks.Lets see how we defend against the promotion contenders in the next month of the calander.If Glen can maintain his current form through those games,then i'd be the first to champion his right to a regular place in the starting 11.

With regards to the full backs.I would play Campbell/Bastian as wing-backs in the current 5-3-2.if we played a 4-4-2.i would choose Nay/Kofi in the full-back roles.

Of course my geographic situation precludes me from joining in the above discussion BUT given numerous viewings of MbrunoB's clips, Forum match reports and general discussion..I'm prepared to have a go!

4-4-2

Donkey Hot Tea

Gazza, Rock Steady, The Hat, Lovely Stuff

Sponsor of Beer, Southport Towner,Father Jack©, Uncle Urchin

Chopper, Mr. Happy

Res:Steph, Enfield Paul

Photographer: MbrunoB

DHT picks himself as GK..reaction in recent FA photo blog says it all.

Defence based on Gazza always being there, Rock Steady having a defender's name and The Hat being able to find the ball should it get kicked over the fence. A tight unit already is joined by Lovely Stuff who is 'always on the 18 yard line'.

Mid field sees Sponsor of Beer and Southport Towner complementing each other while Fr. Jack's talk will keep the side going. Throw in Uncle Urchin who can 'turn up anywhere'(and usually does) and you have a mid-field that would strike fear into any side.

Up front, we've got Chopper(because i like his avatar) and Mr.Happy who sets the tempo at every match.

Steph and Enfield Paul are on the bench where they can work out why the above side isn't topping the league.

The rest of the team await their posting of alternate selections.

Manager:Waggamick (because I picked the team!)

The thread so far highlights the fact that ETFC are in an enviable position in that they have a successful reserve side pushing the firsts for selection..always a healthy situation.